Alan's Z06 dyno, mods and racing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Alan's Z06 dyno, mods and racing

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by alanhenson, May 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Yeah that's kinda what I meant. I think the F40 was so far ahead of it's time. It is truly one of the greatest sports cars ever produced IMHO.

2. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Thanks and I agree whole heartedly. I've taken cars from the 11s to the 9s and it's lots of work.

3. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    You are bench racing at its finest. First off, comparing the Z's Nurburgring time, which took 2 weeks to accomplish along with chassis tweeks along the way, to a magazine editors time is hardly conclusive evidence. And Btw, Autocar recorded a 7.43.5 in a Murci several years ago.

I have no doubt that Vette is a fast car, most likely as quick as an old Murci, or atleast very close to an old Murci. But having watched several vids of the Z06 against a Gallardo, in which the Z06 does win, indicates to me that the Z inmo would lose to a well driven Murci.

Also, the new Gallardo SE will give the Z a run for its money, and in a recent test, blew the doors off the Z on track.

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    What test was this, that it "blew" the doors off it?

Not that it really matters....the G is much more $$$$, and has crappy, boring AWD.

5. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    That's cool.

6. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Alan,

I enjoy hearing the owner's perspective on all performance cars. Please continue posting. I, for one, enjoy your insight.

Best,
    Mike

7. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    Evo magazine Fast club 2006, Z06 turned a 1.24.45, Gallardo turned a 1.22.80 while down on power.

So much for the boring AWD...

8. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I dont know how familar you are but a certian old pro driver ran a 10.9 with bolt ons and slicks. He ran a 11.3 on a entirely stock setup.

9. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia

there it is, I was waiting for some nut swinger to pull the "well it cost 3x as much blah blah blah" If it were all about how fast you can go for a buck we would all drive fox body stangs.

Stock for stock I would have a very hard time believing a Z will outrun a Murci. It's possible but not likely.

And yes I did see that one guy has gone 10.9x with slicks and minor boltons, but there is a HUGE gap from 10.9x to 10.3. You guys can talk trap speed all you want, that is a good show of HP but says nothing about how the car will get down the track. Anyone who has built/driven a 10sec car knows that droping tenths gets much harder as you go down. If you think a bolt on car, even with a cam and tuning is going to run 10.3x, I say you're smokin crack. The car will need a dialed suspension setup, slicks/skinnies, a trans that won't puke the gears out, and 700rwhp give or take.

It would be fairly easy with a good nitrous shot, that is if you can keep it from punching rods through the block...

Call me crazy, but no matter how fast it is i'd never buy one. Purely because it looks damn near identical to the 100k other vettes running around. I'll keep the GTS, if I want to make it faster then turbonetics can help me make 4 digit hp fairly easily :D

10. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I think a mid 10 second pass with a cam and some long tubes because the cars are making I heard 620whp with cam and some other minor bolt ons. Wouldnt you need a built 522 to put those turbos on? Ive got a video of a dyno run of a 750whp hpe Z06 on a 150 shot thats the highest ive heard of a new Z06 horsepower wise though but ive heard the guy who owns it just purges the nitrous and only drives the car to look cool go figure...

11. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott

It is well known that the AWD Gallardo is realitively numb, and boring, albeit fast and easier to drive to the limit relative to some other exotics, like the 360. That is why it is sometimes referred to as a good "entry level" exotic, with "entry level" referring to diver skill, not $ of course.

12. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    Nope there are guys making 900rwhp on stock long block vipers with a pair of turbos. Even the "built" cars use a stock block and stock crank. A 522 is just an offset ground stock crank with smaller rod ends, doesn't really do much over the 488 imo. But even then a set of program caps, oliver rods, good pistons, stud the heads/mains, and you're good to go for 1500+ hp.

Viper may not be the fastest stock (though they aren't exactly slow) but for ultimate power potential they own everything made in the past 20 years.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    alan - do yourself a favor and show dynocharts along with timeslips. This will avoid much he-said/she-said "claim" hassle/grief/aggravation.

14. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Yeah I thought I posted a dyno slip from mine and another 700hp Z06

15. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

That's not "blowing away" anything....

AWD is boring, I've driven them....it's numb and no fun. In my opinion....

16. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne

What other cars and times, just curious?

17. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I agree. The Porsche TT and the Gallardo are not too exciting. Very good cars but no that exciting.

18. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I thought the same thing until I had some seat time in my Z. It definately feels faster than the Murci but feeling faster and actually being faster are very different things as most of us know. But looking at a couple dyno charts of a stock murci and a lihjtly modded Murci convinces me. The Murci only put down 434hp and 389ftlbs stock. My Z put down 460rwhp and 430ftlbs. So with the Z 500Lbs lighter why would you think it would be hard for it to outrun a Murci?

http://www.sp-power.com/EXTRA/REALDYNO.jpg

19. rammsteinmatt

rammsteinmatt Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Shinavar
    completely agree.

i love to hear about really fast cars from those that actually go out and drive them to the limit. keep posting and dont listen to these "experts". simple fact of the matter, you have the Z and have driven it, where im guessing everyone else has magazines and "i heard this" to go off of.

20. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    While I have no driven either car, I have been for ride in both and to me there was no comparison. The Z06 was much faster. I would love to buy one. Maybe in a year or two.

Also, I have for rides on the track in both the CS and F430 and the CS felt much better in the corners.

21. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Those Murci numbers are AWD horsepower on an AWD dyno. Much different than RWD horsepower on a RWD dyno. Of course, with your extensive knowledge of all cars, you would know that, right?

22. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    1.5 seconds over a 1:22 lap is a pretty good margin. Over a 20 lap race, that's almost half a lap difference. I'd say that's a pretty solid margin.

And which AWD cars have you driven? I have driven many, and each of them feels different. Saying that you have driven AWD and generalizing, is like saying all RWD cars feel the same.

23. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Does the Murci have a variable AWD system? I thought it was fixed.

24. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    How do all these cars compare to a big single turbo Supra? Or an SRT-4 with several mods? A Veyron running on half its cylinders and only two turbos, but driven by my cousin? Just wondering. ;)

25. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    A TT Viper will pretty much own anything on the road. In that magazine hennessey's car went 219 on 20's, no traction control, and he's only putting 1000 to the wheels. Put some real tires under it and another 500hp, see who wants to come play. They can make over a grand on pump gas, no turbo supra can get close to that w/o $9/gal C16.