OT : Selling registration number through a broker | FerrariChat

OT : Selling registration number through a broker

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by nevpugh68, May 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nevpugh68

nevpugh68 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ashby de la Zouch, UK
    Full Name:
    Neville Pugh
    Has anyone sold a reg. number through one of these brokers ? (e.g. www.britishcarregistrations.co.uk)

I've got my number plate advertised with various of these people, and it looks like I've got a buyer according to a phone call on Saturday from British Car Registrations. However they tell me that the "procedure" for this is that they get a deposit from the buyer, then get me to send in the retention certificate, then get the rest of the money from the buyer, then send me a cheque.

Now that all sounds sensible from their point of view (i.e. ensure the buyer will pay, ensure the seller genuinely has the plate to sell etc) but I'm a bit nervy of sending off a valuable piece of paper to (what is to me) an unknown company (we're talking well into 5 figures here btw). The company does appear to be VAT reg'd, registered with Company House etc.

Anyone else sold a number plate in this way (through a broker) ?
    Anyone heard or dealt with British Car Registrations ?

Thanks !
    Nev

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Nev, yes I've sold a couple of plates that way, ran a simple credit check on the agent to check they were'nt insolvent or anything daft. I'm sure you already have, but get their terms and conditions / sale contract and read throught it with a very very fine toothcomb.

3. nevpugh68

nevpugh68 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ashby de la Zouch, UK
    Full Name:
    Neville Pugh
    Thanks Andrew ... how do you run a credit check ? :)

4. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    All I would have said is get it in writing first rather than just a verbal phone chat, then at least you would have some come back.

I know several who have sold plates through companies like this with no problems