355 Soft Top Question | FerrariChat

355 Soft Top Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by Monteman, May 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    HELP!

My 98 355 soft top won't go back up. Currently, it's in the down position and when I go to raise it, the seats go all the way forward and then nothing. It's worked fine until now and I hate to take it into the shop again (long story) but thought I'd post this to the board before taking it in.

I'm pretty handy with tools but somewhat intimidated by electronics. I did several searches but couldn't find anything specific on how to diagnose it or what to look for. Any and all help is appreciated.

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

3. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Correct. The seats move to the proper position but that's where the show stops. I'm going to try and check the center bar referenced by No Doubt. Thanks for that link. If the center bar is fine then it looks like it's time to bleed the system and see what happens from there.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #5 No Doubt, May 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That center bar looks like this picture on the 348, dead similar to the 355.

More pics and explanations here: http://webpages.charter.net/aircover/348%20Spider%20Top%20Process.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 1badboy

1badboy Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Rayl
    It could also be that you need to add hydrolic fluid to the pumps that raise the top, or they seriously need to be bled.

I've had the dealer do this to my spider when top does not operate properly.

Do a few searches on "spider hydrolics" or some such in Tech section and I'm sure you'll find instructions, etc.

Sorry for the vague answer....

Eric

6. 1badboy

1badboy Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Rayl