Toughest state in the union? | FerrariChat

Toughest state in the union?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by darth550, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    OK, I'm askin....Which state is the toughest state in the U.S of A and why?

Make your answer good or the Cali army will be all up in your face!

DL

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Not sure in what sense you are asking the question, but I will take a stab at it.

Taking some criminal justice classes and some classes that looks at history of punishement, I would say TX is the toughest state in the union, followed by Florida and California. Tx seems to execute the most and prisons in Ca, TX, FL seems to be expanding and exploding with new inmates. I would say CA is the toughest with its 3 strikes law and such, but I think TX wins out in the liberal way they use the death penalty.

Speaking of death penalty, MI is the easiest state as they were the first state to ban it back in 1846 (may be off by a few years).

3. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Criminal justice may play a small role in this however, I'm referring to the overall badassness of each state in general. If we were invaded tomorrow, which state would most alter our attacker's gameplan?

DL

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Australia :D

Pete

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Hmm... as far as image/threatening factor I would say TX, but as far as tough, rugged dudes I've known Wyoming makes some sturdy folks. Of course, there's many more Texans.

Softest I would say Oregon or Vermont.

6. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Well, I was told in business law (MGT 301) last sem. that the 9th district (cali) is the correct answer. They seem to play by their own rules. So many of their newly passed laws end up in the supreme court (many times more than any other state). They really seem to be a confederation and believe in states rights. I think its great..I plan to live there when I graduate in a couple years.

7. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

If you are talking about badness, I think I will modify my decision a bit.

I was in Houston for 4th of July about 3 years ago, and the big truck driving, everything is big in TX idealogy certainly holds. (they seem to have big women and men in general ..physically speaking). Guns on back of trucks and such are certainly intimidating.

However, overall state attitude and "badness" factor I would have to award it to NY. I was in Long Island for Thanksgiving last year, and went into NYC for the first time in my life. Everyone in NYC seems to have an attitude. In the streets and in the subways there is attitude of inferiority and "i am better than you." Also the people of NY seemed to be much more take charge, and intimidating without needing any weapons. There was an inherent badness about these people, which I found very intriguing. THey have an attitude of "I dont give a F... about anything in the world" and "NY is the capital of the Universe."

Whereas in TX it seemed like "if you mess with me, I will shoot you"

Just my opinions. :D :D :D :D

8. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I actually live under the umbrella of the 9th district and across the bridge from the court itself. The 9th circuit is the most liberal court in the country and the one that is most overturned. I would not call them "badass" but they certainly do what they want, like you stated. But since most of their rulings get overturned, their ability to do what they want is somewhat undermined in my opinion.

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
  10. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Still Texas!

There state is the biggest and baddest of them all!! I still laugh about how when I lived there, they only taught Texas history up until 6th grade :) US and world history came later. God I love arrogance! God I love Texas :)

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I am actually applying to UT Austin Law School this fall, and if I get in (they only take 20% out of staters I think), I will be living in the great land of TX.

Living cost is dirt cheap!

12. carmaster

carmaster Karting

Jan 13, 2004
    Boston/ Portland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Maine, we don't have running water or electricity and we live in the forest. We wrestle bear for entertainment.

13. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    So Maine is like Alaska-east? Crazy Maine-iacs.

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Canada. The invaders wouldn't be sure they would want to live next to them either or get an ROI on US soil.

Sunny

15. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Sunny I was not aware Canada is a state in the union :eek:

16. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Having lived in Canada as well I can say that Texas was more of a foreign country than Canada by far :)

17. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    So geography + American history was not my strong point, eh? LOL!

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

LOL, I certainly got a chuckle out of that one as there is certainly truth in that statement!

BTW I learned in my Geog class today that Los Angeles was one of the most racist cities in the country at one time. Who would have thought.

19. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    No offense intended by my statement. Pete had to throw out Australia so I had to pick something else. :D

Sunny

20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    When did that stat ever change?

DL

21. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

None was taken at all SUnny. :)

22. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Um I hope you are just joking, because Los Angeles might have its share of racist people, but it is FAR away from being where it once was.

You should go to some small towns in WA (rochester, tenino, tillicum), and some small towns in OR to see some severe racism.

So the stat has changed. Los Angeles is much more racially accepting today that it was previously and certainly MUCH less racist than MANY other cities in the union.

23. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Are you just reading this or do you actually spend any time interacting with any people around here? Unfortunately, I was not joking.

Back on thread topic....does this mean you are going to vote for Cali now as the baddest? :)

DL

24. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    How about Alaska ? Anybody that has 6 months of winter & lives under those conditions & has Grizzly Bears for neighbors must be pretty tough

25. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Miami is pretty tough, Our drag Queens will gouge your eyes out & our Puftas can beat up your Puftas