Long trip in your 308/328? | FerrariChat

Long trip in your 308/328?

Discussion in '308/328' started by sers, May 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sers

sers Rookie

Feb 23, 2004
    Ottawa
    Question for you 308 and 328 owners......

Would you take your car on a long weekend trip and do, say 4 - 6 hours of driving each day, or is this something that you wouldn't normally consider?

I've done a search on this topic, but couldn't find anything. If someone has a link to a previous thread, please post it.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    We have a house down in Florida. It's about 5 hours away from here. I have no problem driving my 308 down and back.

Of course I am one of the few trying to ADD milage to my car. I am just below 97,000 now. I can't wait to cross that 100K mark.

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I drove mine from Salt Lake City to Dallas over 4 days. I had to stop about every 2 hours just to stretch and cool off. It was summer time and the A/C just couldn't keep up. I don't think I could ever drive for more than 2 hours at a time.

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I average about 7 hrs a month, it seems like the longer and the further I drive my 84 QV the smoother it runs plus freeway milage is better than city milage.

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Gatorarri should jump in on this thread. He drove Atlanta to Boca Raton an return over the December holidays. Thats about 600+ miles each way.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I wouldn't - prefer to use the Ferrari for fun local trips, and 4-6 hours of interstate driving among SUVs and semis would leave me deaf, tired and in dire need of a shower.

Any daily driver would do a better job.

If your question is about reliability, the 328 seems a very dependable car. If something crucial failed, however, the odds that you'd break down near a Ferrari-savvy repair facility are worse than slim.

7. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I take the "T" in GT serious, therefore I drive it as far and for as long as possible at every chance I get, have done many drives at 3,000kms+ in GT4 and GTSQV, one breakdown, loose wire fixed by competent auto-electrician

8. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I say drive it. The longer the trip, the better mine runs and shifts. I personally have never done more than 300 miles without a long rest, but I certainly would not hesitate to do more.
    -Luigi

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i did just over 2k miles in along weekend and would do it again without hesistation. longest stretch was 6hrs between stops, ofcourse i think the mondial is better suited for that long distance drive. same engine though ;)

10. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I did a trip down to Dubuque, Iowa last Saturday afternoon. 2.5 hours down and 2.5 hours back.

Not a hiccup.......which was expected.

11. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Quite right. Some of other modern marques may offer more comfort and detachment from the road, which only helps induce the risk of falling asleep at the wheel. My current preferred method of Touring down to Italy/Cote D'Azur is a Mondial T. Lots of luggage and eats up the Alpine tarcmac at quite a rate.

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Fortunately, the gas tank and the passengers tend to have about the same endurance between pit stops. One thing to remember is that the passenger side actually has less legroom than the driver's side, that may affect comfort levels.

I've driven 3-400 miles on a Saturday going nowhere in particular, it's been comfortable.

13. chefrobear

chefrobear Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2002
    cravanzana, Italia
    Full Name:
    Robert Ginsberg
    Both my 308 QV and now my 328 have done NY / Fla runs. No problems. If the car is sound, it shouldn't be a event to worry about. Make sure the oil is fresh, the cooling system is sound and your AAA card is in your wallet. The cars are Grand Touring cars. They were made for long drives. A freiend of mine recently made the NY / Fla run in a 78 308! Go for it.

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I've taken ,y 308 down to Road America for a long weekend, which is 7 hrs each way.

Hoping to do it again this year.

15. carb308vt

carb308vt Karting

Apr 12, 2005
    NYC/Vermont
    Full Name:
    Craig M
    I'm always apprehensive before a long journey- but taking your car on a long trip is rather exciting and usually works out. Have the car checked over before your trip, and another thing that I do is plot a course which takes me within towing distance (125 mi AAA) of reputable Ferrari workshops. Also I have my repair center reachable by cell phone. I would take the trip regardless because remember "that ships are safer in the harbour , but that's not what ships were made for."

In the worse case scenario, you'll have a good story to tell.......

16. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    My wife and I did a long week end (our last in Italy before moving to Manila) driving the 328 from home (north Milan) to Rome in a go (800 km) using both motorway and B roads. After a couple of days in Rome, we came back via Bologna - Venice, total 1200 Km, with the first 900 km of A and B roads only. It was fantastic, the car was great. :)
    My wife said that the next time she wants to use her Mercedes. :(
    I did not let her drive, that is the only reason :D

Ciao
    Eugenio

17. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    As long as you can pack lightly, I'd say drive it. I've taken it on a number of weekend trips, and drove it about 1000 mile round trip to the Formula One race and FCA National Meet at Indy last year.

18. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Long trips are fine. If you find the coolant running a touch hot you might need to 'burp' the radiator and that should do it, though have never had any problems with long trips and multi-day track events, which are much more taxing on the system.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    On a 3X8 the limiting factor isn't how far but how long and how many. The longer the trip with an extra person = more needed luggage (generally speaking, of course)
    One person for a few days or a week or so is no big deal. Two people on an extended trip can be difficult unless you FedEx the clothes ahead of you.

20. sers

sers Rookie

Feb 23, 2004
    Ottawa
    Wow. That's impressive. Sounds like if properly maintained, they're able to handle a long weekend drive without any problems. That's reassuring to hear.

If anyone has ever suffered a breakdown on a roadtrip, can you post what it was?

21. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Longest trip taken so far was 4 hours one way. Had no problems at all. Once settled into the seat, the 328 is actually quite comfortable ( my wife fell asleep for about half the trip). Buzzing along the highway going just a little faster than the flow (85 -90 MPH) but not so fast that I'm drawing attention to myself, makes the drive go quickly. I seem at average a 1/4 tank of gas per hour at those speeds, so I would stop about every three hours for gas/quick stretch. Had the top off, and while the A/C worked (could feel the cool air against my right knee) the sun beating on my chest did make it a little warm. Didn't use sun screen and got a burn on my nose. My only reservation about doing a weekend trip would be parking the car at a hotel for the night. I would use my cover, but some ********* could still lift up a corner and key it. I do keep a list of dealers and independents in the car and have towing coverage through my insurance carrier, just incase, but the possibility of a breakdown would not deter me from going, as I keep the car well maintained.

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    A 308 or a 328 can handle a ton of abuse and still run like a clock. Don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise.

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    So you're one of those inconspicuous red Ferrari drivers... ;)

24. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    this is probaly why i enjoy the mondial for long trips and weekend stays, the back seats will hold a decent amount of luggage along with the trunk. and if your wife is anything like mine, the spare tire well also has a decent amount of space.

25. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    You got it ! Full luggage, set of golf clubs, AND a mini fridge plugged in. Perfect Grand Touring.