360 - little red light | FerrariChat

360 - little red light

Discussion in '360/430' started by marky1, May 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Little red light to left of steering wheel (car is LHD) Flashes when car is locked - okay that's fine. But when car is unlocked it is permanently on - is that right? Also the light is not where it should be as shown in the manual. Maybe the previous owner moved it as he put in an after market sat nav system. Could someone let me know what happens in their 360?

Thanks

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Alarm fault. Probably siren batteries, but could be something else.

Should be off when driving.

3. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Right - are the siren batteries easy to get to?

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Not supposed to be a servicable item, but find Bruce wellington on here for batteries.

Quick/reliable fix is a new siren, as high probability of corrosion inside too....

Just bought one here... AUD$700 = ~ 270 GBP.

5. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Cheers Phil - will set off the alarm to see if it is that.

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Won't be a conclusive test.

Alarm can work fine, but siren battery failure can still put LED on, even though all appears otherwise normal.

SD2 can perform a test, but basically sirens are usually good for ~5 years (climiate dependant mostly), and on borrowed time after that.

7. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Right, car is only 3 years old so may not be that. Will have a look when I get home, see what I can figure out.

8. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Most likely the Ni-cad siren batteries.
    Does the alarm chirp when arm and disarm?
    No chirping means dead batteries.

9. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark

No I don't belive it does, but will have to check when I get home. So if it doesn't chirp then you think batteries right? And if so it's an in to the dealer job?

10. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge

The siren batteries went out on my car at almost exactly 3 years. The red light staying on is one indication that the batteries are dead...the intermittent chirping sound is also an indication that the batteries are dead. Your car alarm should NOT be chirping if it is working properly. Chirping only occurs when the system is NOT working properly.

There are no factory replacement batteries on the alarm box. It is sold at one unit...the quote I received for part was $425 + labor. However, if you use the search function, there are many threads on topic including a workaround that has been posted on this board several times with instructions on how to remove and slice open the box (carefully!) to replace the batteries which can only be purchased from BWS550.

11. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Okay read some of the posts now I think I know what the problem is.

Am I right to say on a 2003 360 you cannot replace the battery so there is no point in buying one from BWS 550?

If so, am I right to say that the only thing that is wrong with the car is the siren battery is dead and it has no side affects other than the red light being on when driven. If so, for $1000 the light is staying on. Who needs an alarm anyway, no one does anything when they hear them.

Also Speed Rac, I am confused, most people have said their alarm does chirp when locking/unlocking when the battery is fine. You are saying the opposite????

12. Speed Racerette

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    No, what I am saying is that the siren box is not designed by Ferrari to have the batteries replaced - it is sold as one unit. However, there is a do it yourself way of slicing the box open and getting to the batteries. You cannot buy the batteries from anyone except from BWS550. It is not a battery sold to the consumer outlet(they are a special size/type for commercial use) and since BWS550 is in the battery business, he can get you the batteries so you can replace them yourself. You will need to go to an independent ferrari guy or try it yourself. The dealer will not assist you in cutting open the siren box. See instructions in this thread. http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16780

Sorry for the confusion on the chirping....the chirping I am referring to is a series of 3/4 LOUD chirps that will intermittently occur when you turn the ignition - not when you are locking/unlocking the doors.

13. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Chirping depends on which market the car was built for. US cars have chirping alarms by default when locking/unlocking, while Euro cars do not.

The dealer can also change the programming to enable/disable all warnings, so a previous owner may have changed the default settings.

In conclusion, there is no fixed rule for this.

14. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Okay got you on that.

I am following you on battery but I thought I read that the ones BWS550 supplies are only for pre 2002 cars - or did I read that wrong? (In other words on a 2003 360 the battery cannot be replaced at all) You refer to that in this thread http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38676&highlight=alarm

15. Speed Racerette

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    That was what I was told at the time....but I'm not sure (remember I was originally told there was no choice but to get a new siren box and look how far I progressed!):) I suggest asking Bruce if he has sold batteries to anyone with a later model 360/550....or I recommend calling the dealership and finding out of the siren box part # is the same for pre-2002 as the later models. If so, then you are probably good to go on the fix outlined in the thread.

Best of luck to you!!

16. sad11

sad11 Karting

Jun 25, 2004
    I have a couple of extra batteries if anyone needs them. My unit was shot I just bought a new one for under $300 from the dealer and all is good. The car will run and remote works with the siren box out of the vehicle, just as a FYI.

-A

17. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Where is the siren box located?

18. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Definately the batteries, just got home and set off the alarm - lights flashing but no noise! Cheers guys for the help - will have a look into what I can do to replace batteries or unit.

19. Speed Racerette

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
  20. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    You guys are incredible!

I am constantly amazed where you find all this info but I am eternally grateful for the assistance.

Many thanks

21. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    #21 GCalo, May 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2020
    I owe a great deal of thanks to Speed Racerette for good diirections to the links and to Armen AKA SADAK for his valuable information with respect to this issue, for sending his batteries and not wanting to take $, and for the great photos he sent of his 360 being done.

I am this W/E going to tackle mine, and I will post pictures.

If SADAK authorizes me I can post his pictures as well.

Again thanks to all. That red light was driving me crazy at night and I had no idea it was talking to me.

As the wise Rifledriver always says, RTFM! He is right.

This site is so incredibly valuable!

22. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Would anyone happen to have the part number for a new alarm siren, friend of mine is in Dubai at the moment, gona try to get him to check prices.
    Thanks

23. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    #23 ferrarifixer, May 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2020
    yes, this site would be almost redundant if you all RTFM....... !!

24. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I just bought a 550 one, I "Think" it's the same as 360, certainly same as 355....177148

But check first.

25. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I went through the Alarm System Manual and see nothing indicating about a battery failure in the alarm module or even the mention of a failure of a battery.

Page 14 under "LED" mentions that the light goes off in case of nonfailure. It says nothing further about that failure.

So, it goes to show you the RTFM does not always address the issue and that the wizards on this board usually do.

I vote for the wizards!