Pet Octopus?? | FerrariChat

Pet Octopus??

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by randall, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    Has anyone ever kept one of these as a pet? I plan on getting one next month and am curious if anyone has any experience with them. I'm building a bigger filter and making the tank completely childproofed from the inside. The undergravel filter and riser tubes have been siliconed in place, and the top is pretty well sealed, but I'm just wondering what else I should do.

2. NY Joe 360

NY Joe 360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Joe
    They're high maintenance, and they really shouldn't be kept in captivity. If you do manage to get everything with the tank proper, they only live 2-3 years tops.

3. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Dont have any advise, but it sounds interesting. I like the idea of exotic pets. I've always wanted an ocelot myself. Good luck!

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
  5. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Mark has one,had pictures of it a few months ago. Do a search in Off Topic. He has a blue ring I believe.

6. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hey Guys... I've had a few over the years. They make a great pet :)

-change colors in the flash of an eye. Tan is happy, White is scared, Red is mad, black is pissed-off, then they do two tone and spot patterns also.

-they can change their skin texture. smooth rough bumpy its really neat, helps them blend into the reef.

-they tend to have 4 or 5 hunting tricks and its fun to watch all the cool ways they come up with to catch a fish, shrimp or crab.

Easy to keep but they only live for a year. Very smart animal, likes to watch TV, and can tell the difference between me or the other members in my family.

www.octopets.com is a good place to get started.
    -They sell a nice Med/small size octo called a biMac CA west coast octopus
    -In Florida there is a Medium size octo that lives in warmer water
    -Don't get a pigmy... they are very small and shy, hides all day.

7. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  8. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    DrS..I'll join you for Sushi in about three years!

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Mark.... those are great pics.... watching them would be WAY better than watching tv!!!! ( watching THEM watch tv and eat would be really cool too!!!) yes i am wierd, stop laughing at me!!!!! ( LMAO)

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
  11. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    I'll be avoiding the blue ring. I want to get a Hawaiian Day Octopus, but it would probably outgrow my tank in a year. I'll probably go with one from octopet.com unless my local pet store can get me one. When I get the tank all set up next month I'll take some pictures and post them.

12. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

I've had all types, and the BiMacs from Octopet.com are the best to keep.
    Lots of fun and good personality. Only problem is they like the water a little cool. My tanks in Florida almost got to hot, but it wasn't a real problem.
    You don't need a big tank 20 30 gal is plenty of room.

Here's a new octo, the guy who found it hasn't named it yet. Looks like a new type of blue ring...

I also like this new Zebra from Mexico. I haven't seen one of these yet???

13. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    I've heard the BiMacs are nice, and the ones from octopet should live almost a year so that's more appealing than a wild caught one that may only have a few months left. I just picked up a 60 gallon tank, so I'm turning my old 40 gallon into a wet/dry filter. It's plent of room for a bimac, but probably not for a day octopus.

Those are some great photos. It's a shame there isn't more of a selection out here, I'd love to get something with a bit more color.

14. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    One of the best colors.... is on the Long Arm Reef octo from the Caribbean. They have a light pale green-to-blue glow about them, that makes them glow in the dark. Very Cool! But they are hard to keep, very picky about water quality.

The BiMac makes up in personality and fun, for the lack of bright colors. Plus you do get the two blue eye spots. In a 60 Gal tank, I'd get two and really have some fun.

I know the Red and white spot Octo in the photo below gets way to big for the tank. Is this the same as the Hawaiian Day Octopus?

PS.... I had to toss a few squid photos in for the Miami F-car club :)

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Sometimes they crawl out of the tank and cause trouble.

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i knew from the previous thread about pets that the blue rings were poisonous....... my really stupid question is....... how the hell do you get bitten by one in the first place?? its not like you want to play with and hold it!!?? during cleanings or feedings it seems a partition or something would be used to protect human from animal and vice versa. unless you guys LIKE sticking your hands in places knowing the thing can kill you. i am learning a lot from this thread, so dont flame me for the uninformed questions. i am just trying to picture how you would get bitten by a octopus. thank for the warnings as to thier danger though!!!!!!! great thread and i love the pics. if i have a job long enough here in GA i may get something along those lines, just not as dangerous. anybody willing to share how much the animals cost?? how much for a tune up and maitenence on the tanks???? i have no clue where to look this stuff up!!! great thread. michael