Prince Naseem jailed. | FerrariChat

Prince Naseem jailed.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Fan512bbi, May 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Former world boxing champion Naseem Hamed has been jailed for 15 months after he admitted dangerous driving following a horrific crash in his £300,000 sports car.

The sportsman wrecked his Mercedes McClaren near one of his Sheffield homes in May last year in a collision which left the driver, Anthony Burgin, with fractures to "every major bone in his body".

The former WBA world featherweight champion was jailed by the Honorary Recorder of Sheffield, Judge Alan Goldsack QC, at the city's Crown Court.

The 32-year-old, of Wyvern Gardens, Dore, Sheffield, was involved in the crash while overtaking on Ringinglow Road, on the edge of the Peak District, on May 2, 2005.

He was also banned from driving for four years.

Hamed showed no emotion as he was sent down. He left the dock with two security guards.

Members of his family, who were sitting in the packed public gallery, broke down in tears as the judge jailed the former world champion.

One had to be comforted by friends.

The court heard how Hamed was anxious to impress a businessman Asif Ayub, 46, who was a passenger in the Mercedes McLaren at the time of the crash.

Both had an interest in cars and Hamed was showing what his could do when he crossed a solid white line at a speed of at least 90mph and crashed head-on into a Volkswagen Golf that emerged from a dip in the road.

The Golf, driven by 38-year-old Anthony Burgin, was immediately stopped and propelled backwards by the impact of the collision.

Hamed's car then hit a second vehicle, a Ford Mondeo he had been trying to overtake.

The court heard that the driver of the Mondeo, Michael Wood, described Hamed's overtaking manoeuvre as "stupid, suicide, ridiculous''.

2. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I just heard that Naseem was going to be jailed. I bet if he was in the U.S. he would have just gotten a slap on the wrist. Definitely no jail time. He probably would have been allowed to keep his license as well. Athletes literally get away with murder over here. Will he really serve the whole 15 months in jail? Or can he get out early for good behavior? I am not sure how the law works in England.

Maybe this whole incident will force the Prince to start boxing again. He has got to be running low on funds. I know he has spent a fortune on Bentley's over the years. Also I am guessing he will be paying the victim some serious money for the car crash as well(although again maybe that is a U.S. thing). I was so disappointed with his fight against Barerra. It was as if the Prince didn't even try. We had a massive party for that fight and we promoted it to all of our friends. We had close to 50 people in a basement all pumped to see a great fight and the Prince didn't come out swinging. I was pissed.

3. Tubi

Tubi Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2004
    Athens
    Full Name:
    Hari
    So glad about that.

The guy was a gobby dickhead, fought people weaker than him and lost when he met his match (Barerra).

He can't drive either .....didnt he destroy a ferrari whilst on a test run a while back??

4. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    A lesson learnt.
    Plus he won't be eating as many pies or cakes in the slammer, so may do him some good.

5. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Couldn't have said it better ;-)

6. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I believe the victim is suing for his injuries.

7. jarthur05

jarthur05 Karting

Mar 22, 2006
    Wiltshire, England
    Full Name:
    John A
    Probably not. He should be out after thirty weeks with good behaviour.

8. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Hopefully hammed will end up loosing whats left of the money he made boxing

Always thought he was a smarmy dickhead.....guess we were all proved right

9. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    I presume you are refering to OJ Simpson - that trial baffled everyone. Are there other examples?

I believe that Prince Naseem originally denied that he was driving the car at the time of the accident. I don't think anyone believed him for a minute but I would have retained a tiny bit of respect for him if he had taken this on the chin.

10. cossiemetro

cossiemetro Karting

Sep 4, 2005
    essex
    Full Name:
    tony
    good there are some normal judges after all

11. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Jason Williams was an NBA basketball player who shot his limo driver accidently. He originally said he had nothing to do with the shooting. I also think he had been drinking. He was found not guilty but he may be charged again. There have been instances were sports stars in the US have been involved in serious car accidents, been drunk and never went to jail. A St. Louis Ram football player who comes to mind is Leonard Little. He killed someone when he was drunk driving. I don't believe he did any jail time. Oh and he was caught driving while intoxicated again 6 years later- still no jail time.

Go to this link to read about how a few other US Athletes were treated after they screwed up.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/mike_fish/10/08/furcal.jail/index.html

12. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    No, hopefully he won't. Hopefully he'll do his time, learn his lesson, compensate the other driver handsomely without bankrupting himself and then everyone can move on.

He worked for years to achieve what he did & I don't see why he should be reduced to a pauper because he made a mistake. He's paying for that & reports are that he's fairly philosophical about it. Fair enough.

I noticed that there was no immediate announcement of an appeal either. Maybe there will be one in due course but I half suspect not.

Proved right about what exactly????

I.

(who was never a great fan of PNH, but just recognises that he was good at what he did).

13. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    That arrogant,cocky ---hole deserves to be in prison...

14. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    very accurate description of him

should of got longer for running away and leaving the poor bloke for dead in the golf

15. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

I didn't know he ran away?

The police said that they were Looking for a man in tassled leopard skin shorts ;-)

16. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    It woud be interesting to know if the Golf/Mondeo driver think the punishment fits the crime.

I wouldnt wish ill on anyone, but driving like that, the guy is clearly a fool and deserves to have the book thrown at him, regardless of what we may think of the image he's built of himself through the media. That Golf driver sound like he's lucky to have escaped with his life. I wonder if Hamed will make any sort of gestures of good will the the guys involved? Like Iain above, I wouldnt want to see him bankrupt, but it would be nice for him to acknowledge his odvious wrong doing.

All the best
    Jamie

17. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
  18. Bhagwan Phagash

Bhagwan Phagash Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Hampshire UK
    I feel sorry for the innocent victims - another example of a piece of dross from the gutter with a surfeit of cash and insufficient IQ to use it wisely. He should be banned for life.

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I was never a fan of this arrogant man,but when he was in his prime,he wasnt too bad to watch in the ring. Entertaining to watch,but his boxing skills were very very average. And he was just plain lucky to get where he got in the ring IMO. Do the crime,do the time Prince Naseem!! Im sure he will be someones little "prince" in jail ;) :eek: hehehehe

20. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    With the legal system as it is I would doubt that he would make any gestures. The compensation lawyers will be circling like vultures - he probably won't want to make their job any easier.

21. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Is he in Al-Qaeda by chance ?

22. LOTUS1

LOTUS1 Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Rancho Mirage
    Don't feel pissed. He never really had what it took to be a great champ as Barrera proved me right about him, just a lucky boxer who fought no talent fighters and when true talent presented itself...well, as you said "didn't come out swinging", cause he couldn't. Seems like the Prince is nothing more than a Peasant ;)

23. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    So did you catch the Ricky Hatton fight on saturday night(sunday morningfor you guys)? He had a tougher fight then many anticipated. He also fought a south paw so that didn't help. I hope he can come back strong for his next fight.