Cleaning solvants for oil removal. | FerrariChat

Cleaning solvants for oil removal.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Racer98, Mar 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.
    Hey guys, what type of cleaning agents do you use when your doing a teardown O/H on the motor.

I have used a few types but wanted to see what other items out there.

2. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Use the same stuff they use on aircraft that is the only solvent allowed by the FAA, as it is harmless to anything on or around the engine. Stoddard solvent, or mineral spirits. Its almost non-flammable, and it dries and leaves no residue. You can even buy a air gun that will siphon up solvent and you can spray it on the engine and wash it down. Works really good. But you may still need to get in with rags and brushes on any thick greasy areas. Mineral spirits is pretty inexpensive if you find the right store.

3. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.
    thanks, I have used acid with a ph of 9 its worked really great, the problem with using this on metal is that it eats up the metal but the oil is completely removed. The items you described are available at any avation store ???

4. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Acid has pH < 7. pH > 7 is alkaline. Both are water based, and not the best stuff for hydrocarbons. If it corroded metal, it was likely acid; although some metals are sensitive to alkalis.

Hydrocarbon solvents like Stoddards work on hydrocarbons. Although they degrease well, avoid chlorinated hydrocarbons like perchlorethylene.

5. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.

ok. Thanks for the 411. When breaking down a motor I have used acid to clean out the passages where the oil was so baked on that wouldnt come off, and this was with even using a parts washer.

6. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I use acetone to do the final cleaning before final assemble. Absolutely NO oil residue left after a good acetone cleaning.

Darrell.

7. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    castrol super clean will eat thru all the residue inside an engine in minutes!!!

is the BEST!

8. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    For internal cleaning of passages. I usually just take it to be hot bathed.

Darrell.

9. caymanslover

caymanslover Karting

Dec 16, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Aluminum and magnesium alloys should only be cleaned with neutral pH7 solvents like hydrocarbons (mineral spirits, paint thinner, or my favorite citrus oil degreaser.) The citrus oils being mostly hydrocarbon oils squeezed from fruit (orange or lemon peels) are natural, harmless, and good smelling. The only drawback is they all will burn in the presence of a flame. FIRE hazard if not careful working with large quantities in a closed area.

10. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.
    thanks. Acid has been very effective.

11. XcellR8

XcellR8 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Simple clean is some good **** for your whole ride, no oil, no ammonia, no acid. Its a Concentrated D'limonine based cleaner that you dilute. Works awesome, and is non toxic with free shipping. Very well known in the Dog and Cat show world, also now beginning to become VERY popular in FMCA and other RV associations. Http://www.simpleclean.org

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I use either mineral spirits, or mostly these days, Solve-All citrus solvent which is made for parts cleaning.

For really tough problems that they don't handle, I try lacquer thinner, brake cleaner, or NAPA Aluminum Cleaner which is acid based, but does a great job on rough cast Al surfaces with years of baked-on buildup.