Monaco Quali: Driver's Concerned | FerrariChat

Monaco Quali: Driver's Concerned

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Simon^2, May 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
  2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    And how has that changed from the past ?

Do they just want to race on yet another cookie-cutter circuit ?

I hope they ALL emerge unscathed.

3. Scuderia Ferrari F50

May 4, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jeff Evans
    All I can say is I'm glad Ide ain't driving at Monaco! It will be interesting to see how many, if any, red flags we will see during the first session.

4. kyleseyz

kyleseyz Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    No kidding!!!!!! This is why they took away his superlicense! Quali will probably be the only part of the monaco weekend I watch, it will be INSANE!

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I didn't even think about that. A part of me wants to see what trouble he'll get himself into next, but the other drivers' safety is keeping me from wanting him to ever drive again.

Not sure why the drivers are so worried even though Ide is out. The track is exactly the same iirc. Maybe they've always been weary about it since it's such a tight circuit. :confused: I've always wanted to see Monaco in the rain, though. It would be an interesting sight.

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Instead of single lap qualifying, there'll be 22 cars out there in the first session. It's gonna be hard to get a good time in with all the cars doing in-laps and out-laps, and no place to pass.

Sure, they did it in the past. But now they have a 15 minute session, not an hour.

And then trying to lay down a pole lap among 9 other runners -- one of which may be the teammate of the current pole sitter. (The suspicious type, ain't I?)

And if traffic is a problem in qualifying, imagine trying to win from anywhere other than the front row.

This is typically the race where someone other than "the usual suspects" has a shot at winning.

(Hmm. Torquey V10s in very slow turns. Would they even have a tape of the "Star Spangled Banner" on hand? ;))

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    The new quali format causes people to slow, in order to get a gap for their hot lap.

I think the scenario of concern is: driver A slows to get a gap, while driver B is coming from behind on a hot lap. ltd visibility... mayhem ensues...

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    A few years ago they had all cars out there if they wanted to setting laps and then it switched over to a flying lap. That's what I was thinking about, but I guess it will go back to something like that regarding traffic.

9. Manel

Manel Karting

Oct 7, 2004
    Catalonia
    Full Name:
    J.Manuel Baró
    IMHO, Monaco circuit was fine back on the 30's. Now is still fine to walk around but simply unsuitable to held any serious motoracing.

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    well, yeah. quali is gonna be tough. i think the best, get there out early set a good lap and just wait. but the 2nd quali is gonna be tough.

11. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I reckon the Monaco qualy is going to be a big lottery this year with the traffic and inability to overtake easily. I am sure the smarter teams will be out early in each session to set a banker lap before going for a faster one.

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

The early bird catches the worm.

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I 100% agree.

Should be interesting!

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good analysis. I'm looking forward to the carnage. Would be nice to see some new faces on the podium.

15. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    That's correct - we had a first time winner in 2004 - Trulli, a first time podium in 2005 - Webber and first time in second place for Nick.

In the 80s, 90s up to the early 2000s, Monaco used to be the track where the best drivers would triumph. But over the last few years, it has been more of a crapshoot depending on which tire manufacturer gets its sums right for qualification.

Michael has been away from the victory at MC for too long, I believe. This may be his year.

16. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    How is it any different than the 80's and 90's with everybody out at the same time and massive speed differences between the fast and slow guys? Quit whining and race.

17. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I personally like the new system, every race I'm on the edge of my seat on the last session seeing who can better the time. A heck of a lot more interesting than the old system. Also give the fans at the venu even more action than on race day...just my opinion.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The difference is, that men drove the fire breathing turbo monsters and boys drive the carbon fibre protected, semi automatic everythings of today. :)

In all fairness: Drivers have always complained about the qualifying in Monaco. Everybody always blamed traffic for a not so perfect lap. Even the pole sitters.

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "like flying a helicopter in your bedroom".........who was it, said that?

Perfect description!

As I told a neighbor once before a race...."it's wrong to pray to WIN, but you can pray hard as you want, for personal safety!"...;)

20. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

21. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Let's just put them all on a 2.5 mile oval at Indy, or even the 2 mile oval at Michigan, not to mention Talladega.

Now they won't be able to complain about visibility.

Monaco is like Indianapolis, LeMans, the Kentucky Derby - it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

22. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Speaking of bad driving, why wasn't Ralf's superlicense revoked when he plowed into someone in his *first race*, making them flip over? Hmmmm.......

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nelson Piquet

Since we're on the subject of F1 and helicopter trivia:

a) Who played a duell of chicken over the roofs of Monaco in a helicopter? How did that game work and who won?

b) Who tossed somebody else's briefcase out of a helicopter over Monaco? Bonus question: What was the revenge to that act?

c) What F1 driver lost an arm in a helicopter accident and at what occasion?

24. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    1. ??
    2. Berger on Senna or is it reverse ... one of them put a naked picture of a girl on his passport to trigger this event if I remember correctly
    3. ??

25. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level

Ide... 2 years ago...