What % of one's LIQUID assets should be used to purchase a Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What % of one's LIQUID assets should be used to purchase a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RJR89, May 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    That was truly awesome....especially the part about your pets. I could see my Golden Retriever actually doing that! LOL!

2. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Perhaps that amount is as significant as a nice suit or a big vacation?
    Would you finance either? A nice humidor full of Cubans and a couple cases of scotch?

Sweating the loss of 12-15% of 300k should be irrelevant. Sweating the loss of interest on 30k means you can't afford the car in the first place.

Leasing is not deductable like it used to be, and financing conventionally is silly. If you're making 12-15%+, why pay 7%/prime on money you have when writing a check makes it zero %, or drops cost to 5-8%, same as financing but deal is done. And a damn sight cheaper than leasing.

If the 12-15% is more important than the fun you'll have, don't buy it. If it appreciates, it should do better than 10% if it is a 430 or Enzo. If not, fun isn't cheap. How much fun you want to have?

My 2M lira

PS: Desmo, financing toys is a matter of scale. Financing a 30-80k toy is OK, as long as you are able to get out of it. But a big stretch for same is dangerous if you aren't in a stable income environment.
    Even Gulfstreams and Heli's get financed. Just to holding cos. who minimize risk to the users. Warren didn't buy Netjets(IIRC, I think it was them) for nothing.

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    My rule of thumb.....if you have to ask how much.....you cant afford it.

Walk away.

Do you ask how much a bag of chips are at a store ? NO

Do you ask the gas companies how much gas will be next week ? NO

Do you ask how much a bottle of wine is at a high end resturant ? NO

Everyone pretty much knows how much an Fcar will cost, just like a nice home in a nice part of town. No use asking.....the price is not gonna be lower tomorrow.

You need to pay to play......in anything you do.

4. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I hope the inverse of your rule isn't that if you don't ask, you can afford it...

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Tell me where I can put my money where it will make 12-15% over the long term risk free and I will get loans on my Ferraris tomorrow. Until someone can answer this for me, I'll pay cash. Financing or leasing costs at least 8%. You have to make 13% before taxes to equal that with no risk.

As to the original question, if you have 10 million net worth, spending 5 million on cars is not likely to jeopardise your financial security. On the other hand, if you have 100K or less, you shouldn't be buying toys that cost 30K and up not to much upkeep.

Dave

6. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    yes they will. If you wait for a lot of tomorrows, the price will be a lot different

7. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    If you die with $2 million in the bank, or $2 million in debt, you are just as dead. However, in one case you had $4 million more fun !

8. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky

$4M worth of fun?

Where is the philanthropic sage wisdom in this answer?

On another note: I think the guy is asking a "qualifying" question as a guage for input into his decision making. Sure he has to make the final decision but he's not asking how much should I spend/net worth, he is asking how much have others leveraged against their liquid estate.

9. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    shark06 - my two cents - whether your driving a BMW, Cadillac or Ferrari you should have a pretty good idea what kind of car payment you can handle against you cash flow. I wouldn't pump $50k-$150k into a Ferrari irrespective of the model if you aren't swimming in seven figures, liquid or otherwise.

10. andyc

andyc Rookie

Feb 26, 2005
    I don't think I would have bought if I couldn't have paid cash, that's just the way I was brought up...if you don't have the cash you can't afford it...save some more, the only thing you borrow money for is a house and then pay it off as quick as you can. Thanks Dad and Granddad for the advice...it works.

11. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    First of all, NO ONE is making 12 to 15% on their money year after year. It doesn't happen. Anyone that tells you different is a LIAR. Even Warren Buffett doesn't.

That said, I'm not comfortable plunking down $50-$100K of cash and tying down to a car. And a TOY CAR at that. Keep your cash, finance your toys. If you get tired of your toys, sell them and add more to your cash. Cash is king. Keep it.

12. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I bet you he would if he was only managing a few million.

13. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Sorry, but that's about the most lame rule I've heard in a while. I know plenty of people that are "too good" to ask "how much". And they're broke because of it.

I know a guy personally that earns over $500K per year and has for years, but just filed personal bankruptcy. All because he never bothered to ask "how much?"

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Ha. Yeah, that makes sense. The LESS money you have, the MORE you make!

15. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    On a percentage basis, yes.

Why do you think they close some mutual funds to new investment? If they grow too large, it becomes extremely difficult for them to invest all the money successfully, and they become a closet index fund.

16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The problem with most Ferraris, excluding brand new ones, is that it's not how much it costs to buy it, but how much it costs to maintain it.

With any Ferrari (from a $15k 308GT4 to a $10MM 250GTO), if you can't handle an unexpected $10k repair bill you shouldn't own the car.

17. Ferrariby50

Ferrariby50 Karting

Apr 20, 2006
    My formula is:

((Total net worth)X.10-(value of existing cars and other toys)) / (2X(the displacement of a single cylinder of the Ferrari I'm interested in))

This is why the only Ferrari's I have are 1:43 scale.

18. RJR89

RJR89 Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    That's basically what I'm asking. Regardless whether I pay cash, lease, or finance, what level of Ferrari should I be looking at based on my liquid assets. I'm not counting net worth because the real estate market could be at a top and depreciating assets like furniture, cars, life insurance, 401k, IRA, etc. shouldn't count anyhow.

I'm interested in a car I can put some miles on as opposed to a collector type car (512TR, Boxer, etc.). I was thinking that I would spend roughly 20% of my liquid, but since it appears there are a lot of people on this board that have a lot of money or make a lot of money I was wondering what they had done.

19. sf308

sf308 Rookie

Mar 24, 2005
    Just go ahead and buy the car you want to own, buy with your heart and you head will find a way to justify the purchase.

20. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Are you 20 or are 60? What's you income? (Please don't answer, this is to mamke a point)

if you are 30, with 1M liquid and an annual income of 600K the advice will be different than if you are 65 with 1M liquid and an annual retirement income of 45K

It's not all about liquidity!!!

I hope all can see that in the example above both have $1M liquid, but obviously the 30 y/o is better suited financially to F-Car ownership IMO.

Bottom line, no one can answer your question with any validity without knowing more parameter's than "liquid" $$$.

21. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    Good advice. If 10k PER YEAR on maintenance doesn't bother you, go for it. You CAN do it cheaper, by turning your own wrenches, etc, and it may cost less regardless, but IMO as a very conservative type, you should be happy to eat 10k/yr in maintenance before a Ferrari looks like a good idea.

I say that because I think Ferraris deserve to be "maintained regardless of cost." I just hate to see them neglected by people who scrape up the inital price but can't afford to maintain them.

22. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    #47 DrStranglove, May 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    If the exotic car is your only indulgence I would say maybe 20% of the liquid assets is okay. This way you have plenty of money for maintenance and repairs without really getting too close to the edge.
    BT

24. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    it's been said before on this thread, but i'll chime in anyway...don't wait, buy it sooner rather than later. you don't get the time back you spend thinking about owning it. just buy it, take some risk if you have to, and spend that time driving, staring, waxing, enjoying--whatever.

john

25. Argonaut

Argonaut Rookie

Nov 27, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This is a good question. My personal policy is no more than 10% of my liquidity is to be tied up with toys/ luxury goods. Real Estate, even vacation homes, does not count in this as RE tends to appreciate in the long term regardless of where we sit in the market (I'm more of a buy and hold kind of guy with my personal portfolio/ possessions). But how do you define liquidity? For me, it is cash and anything I can sell immediately without a penalty. Stocks, Bonds, etc. It sounds like 10% isn't way off base.

As far as financing goes, my father always taught me that you never finance anything that depreciates, unless you can write off the interest. If I really wanted a Ferrari, but couldn't afford paying cash, I wouldn't buy one. Even if you are making 15% on your money, figuring in 8% in financing cost and taxes, you are making 1.5-2%. 2% on 300k is $6,000. That is really not worth it IMO. Plus you can't always count on the 15%. What if it is a fluke year and you only earn 10%? Then you are in the hole. If you are at a place in life where you can shell out 300K and have it not affect your livelyhood (ie less than 10% of your liquidity) what does 6K/year matter to you?