Wheel repair/refinish in Florida | FerrariChat

Wheel repair/refinish in Florida

Discussion in 'Florida' started by gabriel, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Greetings:

I finally found 16" wheels to replace the metrics on my 86TR.
    I might actually get to *drive* her again!

Geez, waiting 6 months for Coker to get tires was too long, (never came in), never mind mind paying triple+ for the rubber...

Anyway, I'm looking for a shop in Florida that repairs wheels. I've seen a few in the "Auto Trader" mag here in S. Fl, but does anyone have any experience with any of them?
    I'd like to refinish the 16"s before I mount the Tires, as well as check the one metric that went flat for damage - I had to drive on it a short way. I suppose that a body shop can refinish the wheels, as well?

I believe that Eric has a damage issue with one of his wheels, as well, and is looking for info.

Thanks for any input!

2. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    never done one but would be interested myself.
    Ernies Alloys I am sure will do it, don't know how much he charges though.

3. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I've heard of a place called Turbax (I think it's pronounced like that) in Miami that's been around for a while,although I haven't used them.

4. Mark308GTS

Mark308GTS Rookie

Dec 4, 2003
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mark Shuman
    A body shop that I trust uses Turbax Wheels (305-254-7434). Turbax quoted me a price of $100 to $150 per wheel to refinish my 308 QV wheels, depending on their condition. One of these days, when I can take the wheels off, I will have them refinished there. If anyone has used them, please let us know the result.

Mark

5. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Gabriel, how bad are they damaged? I live in Jupiter and can suggest someone in the area. Especially if you are coming from Pt Saint Lucie; alot closer than Miami. Let me know...are they damaged or just need a repaint?

6. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    are those the guys that Frank had his Mondial Wheels done at? He was not very happy.
    Find out from Sindo.

Martin

7. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Thanks Gabriel for initiating this thread here in the FL section! And a big thanks to the FL guys for their input thus far.

I'm in the same boat as Gabriel on this one; and, as he mentioned, I do have one rear wheel with curb rash damage. Not sure of the severity, though, as it relates to possible repair. The wheel in question is 1 of 4 U.S. spec rims that I purchased as a spare set to have stripped / repainted so as to utilize a better tire selection over the existing Euro metric rims currently on the TR.

Finally took some pics tonight, and will post same tomorrow. Perhaps someone might be able to tell from the pics whether or not a repair is feasible. Worst case scenario, I'll stick with the metrics and simply have them reconditioned -- and live with the limited selection of metric tires :(

8. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    #8 Eric308gtsiqv, Mar 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    yes Turbax can fix that and no Frank did'nt have them done at Turbax.

10. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Thanks Sindo...I'll get in touch with them.

11. akydakyx

akydakyx Karting

Feb 9, 2002
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve K
    i have used turbax several times but not recently. there is a place called wheels america i think. national chain but opened in mia off palmetto just north of airport around 2.5 years ago.

sindo, who did frank use?

12. peter mac

peter mac Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    I used Supa Mags in Ft.Lauderdale. Very nice people,[ really]but totally incompetent, no technical expertise at all.

13. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Sorry for the delay - my trip ran over.

I don't think the wheel is bad at all - needs refinish. I'll try to get a pic of it. Jupiter is a heck of a lot closer! Thanks Paul. :)

14. 575M-Nero

575M-Nero Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    ::bump::

Can anyone else give reviews of Turbax or Ernie's Alloys?

15. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm very interested as well. I've got a set of 16" magnesium QV wheels that need some metal repair and refinish.

16. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had a rim repaired last year thru wheels of america out of MIA..did a pretty good job..only took them like 3 days! 2 days shipping there and back and 1 day to fix. was less then $150 i belive all said and done, did a good job also. do not know the # tho.

17. nsxter

nsxter Formula 3

Nov 14, 2004
    Oakland Park, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Bill O
    Fred has the wheels for his CS at Turbax right now. Hopefully he will chime in and give his opinion on how things are progressing so far.

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    wheels america is at fixrim.com I am going to have all gour of my 348 wheels done there this summer. Flat fee of $129 per wheel, and finish is guaranteed for life. Their web site has some great before and after photos that make the damaged wheel shown in this thread look very minor.
    BT

19. 575M-Nero

575M-Nero Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    Are all Ferrari wheels silver painted?
    How exactly is the Ferrari silver coated 'finishing process' done?

Is it easy to match/replicate?

20. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    It is paint. You can probably get the PPG paint code from Shelton or First Class.

Scottie

21. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Like Bill mentioned, I have my wheels at Turbax right now.

Before picking Turbax, I personally went to each facility that claims to refinish/repair wheels here in the south Florida area to see the operations. There are about 7 places (some are mentioned on this post) from south Miami to Boca that offer the repair/refinish process. However, they do not appear to all be equal in the equipment, facilities, knowledge and personal attention.

If you have a question about a particular company, feel free to PM me for my opinion of what I observed. Regarding Turbax, I am witholding my recommendation or warning until I get my wheels back from them.

22. 575M-Nero

575M-Nero Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    I'm leaning towards Turbax also.

Please let us know how you like your wheels when they come back.
    I think I'll wait to hear on your results before I try them.

23. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I'll keep you posted. They should be done this week.

24. 575M-Nero

575M-Nero Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    Thanks, will wait to hear back.

Finding the PPG paint code to match the wheels was a good suggestion above. Did u do anything special to match the paint? Was Turbax easy to work with so far?

25. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I just picked up my wheels from Turbax. They look FANTASTIC!!!!

I went to pick them up durring lunch today, but there was a small nick in the paint (probably from mounting the tires), that they gladly took care of.

Anyways, I just picked them up and I can't wait to get them back on the car!!! Only time will tell if (1) they are straight and roadworthy and (2) if the paint/finish will last and will be as durable as a factory finished wheel. As long as these two conditions hold true, I would absolutely recommend Turbax!!

Sergio is the Manager of the south Miami location (Turbax Headquarters) which is where I went. Please mention my name (Fred, the guy with the custom-grey Ferrari Stradale wheels) for two reasons: (1) They did a good job for me, so it would be nice for them to know that I am recommending them and (2) I was VERY, VERY picky - Sergio knows who I am & if he knows that you came recommended from me, there's a much better chance that he will oversee your wheels personally (he did this for every step of my wheels) rather than having them go through the regular refinishing mill there.

Now, go get your wheels done!!!

:)