Spring 06 spotted | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Spring 06 spotted

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Red 430 spider on Rt.43 going south towards Rt22 in Lake Forest.

2. Rabsox386

Rabsox386 Karting

Feb 11, 2006
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Rick
    an awesome looking AC Cobra, definatly the 1960s version and not a kit car. The guy was going south on route 83 at 31st street in oakbrook, and opened it up. That thing can go!

3. 5683592

5683592 Karting

Oct 23, 2005

silver? i think i saw the same one.

anyway i saw a lotus elise on my street in clarendon hills, turned onto chicago ave. (got a pic)
    a m5 outside starbucks in clarendon hills (got pic)
    and a dodge viper gts in clarendon hills (guy lives on the next street, got a pic)

4. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    There's a woman in that area that has a (real) silver one.

She also has a 512 BBi.

5. Rabsox386

Rabsox386 Karting

Feb 11, 2006
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Well it was a man driving it when I saw it and yes it was silver.

6. 5683592

5683592 Karting

Oct 23, 2005
    same with me. the man was driving it. iv seen it before. that was my i think 4th time seeing it.

7. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Friday- Silver 360 spider, Red Lotus Elise, Silver Viper SRT10, Saturday- Red 360 spider. I don't know where they were because i was only visiting for four days.

8. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    It must be the same car.

The last time I saw it was at Continental. She dropped off the 512BBi and drove off in the Cobra.

At that time, she was wearing leopard skin pants, a leather skull cap, goggles and a flowing white scarf around her neck!

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah, that T-Rex is parked at DGY Motoprsports in D.G. Thats where we get our Dirtbikes and gear.

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I've also seen a lady in this area driving a Red 308. Wonder if it's the same gal?

11. 5683592

5683592 Karting

Oct 23, 2005

yaaa but still it looked sweet on the street.

12. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Tonight at 8pm, a silver F430 Spyder.

Exited the Tri-State at Dempster and headed north on Rand Rd; had dealer plates.

It was hard to tell it was a Ferrari, they've become so.....so.....I don't know; so undistinctive (I don't know another word to use) looking.

No offense meant to those that like them; but I don't get it?

Also, a wrecked 360 coupe on Colfax in Palatine.

The shop that bought it paid $65K, plus $50K in repair parts.

They're going to rebuild it, and sell it to some poor soul in Poland for double the money. I doubt a salvage title will exist in Poland!

The car is in sorry shape. Looks like the driver lost control, taking out the front end, spun and took out the rear end.

13. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    As I've stated before, I love em. Out of curiousity, what else does a F430 look like on the road?

14. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    I love 'em too; I'd like to hear (see) the answer!

15. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I really like the 360s, F430s are growing on me. Maranellos are sweet too, but I just do not seem to get the same excitement seeing the new stuff on the road as the older stuff.
    Maybe it is the #'s. There really are a lot of 360s. Maybe it is because I (we, Skip, etc) relate more to the man in the 348 or Mondial. Maybe a recent purchase for him or her, finally realizing the dream as oppposed to the person with loads of cash who wants just another toy. Sure there are 360 people who just attained their (recent) dream. But I've loved the 308 since I was about ten (Dino, Boxer, etc.). The 360s and F430s are like some hot new swimsuit model. You have never seen her before, and she looks good. But, how about those old posters of Bo Derek or Cheryl Teigs (spelling?)... oh, we lusted for sooooo long....
    maybe I'm just getting old!

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Morgan Fairchild on my dorm room wall:)

A Zehnder or Koenig version of the 308 was always my dream, but I do like the new cars too. The 360 is too round for my taste, but with some Novitec add-ons it starts to look aggressive enough. 430 has it right out of the box.

I don't think it is an age thing, more a question of personal taste.

17. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Everybody knows, that I am more of a vintage Ferrari afficianado, but now REALLY, <RANT>

What the H*LL else does a 430 look like?

As far as I am concerned, In almost all cases, where Ferraris resemble other cars, the underlying reason is that the other cars' designers have obviously, picked up styling cues, that were initially exclusive to Ferrari and applied them to their "new" designs.

Q: Why is there always a Burger King within 3/8 mile, of a McDonald's. They let McD's do the market research. Sound familiar?

So, they let Ferrari and others, stick their stylistic necks out, to establish the new design standards and then carry it to the bank by applying these cues to millions of little sh*tboxes. But I actually like BK's better :D

ie: I was viewing a Supra lovers BB the other day. Posting in a thread was a lofty hopeful, that was trying to convince the world that the 599 was a copy of the Supra design. Like Ferrari's designers, have ever looked to the east for their stylistic inspiration. Laughing and puking at the same time!!! </RANT>

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Unless you're talking Chicago downtown where for some hard to comprehend screwup all BKs have closed shop. Much to my demise since I love'em. So you suburbanites, next time you come to town, will you please bring me a BK? :)

19. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    You mean you don't see the resemblence? Clearly, 599 is just a rebody of a Supra.

20. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Mr Buttcrack, I hesitate to try to form a mental image in the verbiage that I use but, at this time, I feel I must!

Now.....picture yourself wearing the low-rise jeans that you so love.

Standing in front of a full length mirror, face your backside towards the mirror.

Bend over and touch your toes with your fingers. Look in the mirror and you will see what the front end of an F430 resembles! :)

21. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill

Skip,
    The question posed, although not implicitly stated, clearly begs comparison to the stylistic impression of another "AUTOMOBILE".
    Your wildly divergent, albeit blessedly brief, session of free association, might be more advantageously couched in a private moment of professional analysis... :D :D

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

No Spike, you are right on! I feel the exact same way. When I was ....Finally!....."Ferrari Shopping", years ago. I wanted a 308. It HAD to be a 308. I had Lusted for a 308 since I was 17. I looked at 328's,348's,355's,even TR's. And, oh yeah! I definitely do love those cars, too. But, my first just HAD to be a 308. I was ready to travel anywhere in the country for a nice 308. But, luckily, and I do believe that it was fate, I found mine right here at LFSC.

Why do I say fate? Because I get many Automobile publications every month, including the 'DuPont Registry of Fine Automobiles'. And, I would look through there for 308's, but the Advertisers where mostly out of state. Continental had ads in there. (they didn't have any 308's at the time) But for some reason, LFSC did not....Except for when the Christmas/December 2000 issue came out. LFSC had an ad in there.

Well, at Christmas time that year, a couple of weeks before, we went out to Scottsdale, AZ. to spend the Holidays with my Family for a change. When we got back on Jan.2nd.,2001, I had that issue in my piled up Mail at the P.O. So, I saw the ad for LFSC, (Still at the Old Store then) I called them, and they still had the car. Actually, they had 2! The other was Black/Crema. Man it was sharp, too! But, I had to have Red....:) So, I drove up there, checked it out, and bought it on Jan. 5th. After that, It was an extremely rare occurance that LFSC would have an ad in there. And, for the past few years. They haven't at all. (I don't know why... It's a great Publication....) So, I believe that it was truly fate! And it's been a fantastic car for me now for almost 5 1/2 years!

I also feel the same with Corvettes. I grew up with the C3-3rd. generation, '68-'82 "Shark Bodied" 'Vettes. And have had 4 of them, out of the 7 Vettes that I've owned. And, even though after 1972, they were real dogs, thanks to the Feds. I still loved that body style. And, I still do today. Actually, In my opinion. When I see one of those 'Vettes out on the road today, which is getting to be very rarely. I think that they look Far more "Exotic" than just about anything else made these days.

So, IMO, a good one would be either a '68-'72. Or, a "Resto-Mod". Build an old one with all new chassis, braking and drivetrain componnets. Now that would be cool....all of the amenities of a new one, but with that old style look. There is a guy that builds them like that now, using the old late '50's and early '60's bodies, but on the new C6 platform.

How about a widened 308 body on a 360 or 430 platform....?.....:) Or maybe Ferrari can make the "508". A 5 liter, 8 cylinder mid engined updated version of a 308.

23. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That is sort of the theory of the 365 and 512BBs. A 308 with a large dose of streroids. Similar styling, but broader shoulders, stronger stance and a big mouth, :D meant of course, only in the most flattering of manners.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And then the poor car ends up with critics review, that state it looks just like a 308, so what is the point of it? (Forza Boxer buyers guide).

I guess you can't please everybody.

25. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes, but that Would be The Point.... Just like that new Dodge Challenger. People are going absolutely Crazy over that car!....Because.... it Does look similar to the original, except with all of the modern amenities that we've grown to love in our cars these days....:) And, if they put in a 5.0 Liter engine. 6 or 7 speed manual or F1 Trans. in the new "508", wouldn't that be great!

It would be "similar" to the 308, which is the most recognizable Ferrari built, but, bigger....like a 360/430. Low, Wiiiiiiiiiiiide. With All of the newest creature comforts and modern technology. (that we wished were in our 308's.:) ) But, not an exact replica. "A 30 year 'Tribute' to the original", really, of the Car that pretty much saved that company from dissapearing.....It would have to be very tastefully done. Pininfarina and Ferrari can accomplish that, I am sure.

IMO, they'd sell....Alot. I mean. Looking at the newest models, which I do like, but, definitely agree with Skip, that they are getting a bit Bland and Generic looking. This car would be down right "Exotic looking".....No? And, I think that they could really use a very "Exotic" Looking car right about now....

Lambo. is seriously looking into doing a new "Miura". (Not that Ferrari would/should ever "copy" Lambo. But, Ferrari has already, in the past, resurrected old Ferrari Car names .) And from what I've seen so far. Not only does the Miura look great, but it has gotten great reviews from the usually stodgy and opinionated Automotive Press.....

(Note: If Ferrari sees this and decides that it is a good idea. Can I please have one of the first ones?....:) )