US geography teachers should feel proud | FerrariChat

US geography teachers should feel proud

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Admiral Thrawn, May 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Damn, I'm surprised Australia even made it this far.

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    whats really strange is that all thru school we were never taught geography. sure we had to memorize the state capitols and know their location, but the rest of the world. eh who cares, that was the myopic view my curiculum had.
    apperantly now it's required to graduate, but i don't think it's going well. how about starting back in primary school vs. the last few yrs.

3. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    You know that, subconsciously, we Yanks have it in for you Aussies! :)

Luckily for you, we'll set sail with the navy and never be able to make it there.

On a serious note, Americans overall have a pretty horrendous grasp of geography (much to the delight of Europeans who constantly jab them over it) however Europe is so much smaller and close-knit, almost like the US States. I wonder how many Europeans could tell you where Rhode Island is or where Utah is - I'd guess about as many as the Americans who can tell you where Latvia is or Switzerland. Ok, maybe we'd get less :D

4. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Haha, that was great.

I'd love to see some more "Jay Walking" segements. :)

5. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    Well ,I think there is a HUGE difference between knowing location of each state in U.S. and whole country !

I remember when my friend from Poland was in U.S on December. He wanted to come back to Poland just for christmast , but he didn't have money to do so ! So the lady who was working with him asked why he will not go to Poland by car ???????????????????????

6. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    He11, most americans don't know the difference between a democrat and a republican, I'm not even sure I do, anymore.

7. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    thats good stuff. I wonder why so many people went to australia. You would think they would know the continents

8. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Not really. Europeans tend to know all the countries in Europe and possibly Asia because its RIGHT THERE BESIDE THEM. Its probably in their best interest to know what sorrounds their borders. Knowing the location of the states is of little value because they probably won't ever be in a position where they'd have to know their exact location and most won't ever visit.

Like someone mentioned earlier, most US citizens will probably never leave the country. Knowing the location of every European country has little to no value at all to them. States on the other hand have value since well once they leave there state, unless they are on a coast line, they need to know whats across the border.
    Summnary:
    European countries are to Euros what states are to Americans, neighbors that they have a pretty good chance of encountering relative to those people across the water.

9. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    I'm pretty sure that whole thing is staged by CNNN (triple N), an Australian satire site. That's why Iran and Korean ended up in Australia. :D

10. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Because they changed the text on the map from Australia to "France", "Iran" and "Korea".

Because the people questioned knew nothing about what the world looks like (idiots), they just looked for the name. It was like 'Where's Wally?' The guy from CNNN played off their ignorance.

Best bits: When the Mexifornian guy goes "now, where are we..." like he's approaching some complex and obscure problem.

and the black guy at the end, while looking at mainland Australia and Tasmania, "Wow I didn't realise North Korea was so much larger!" with the CNNN guy going "yeaaaaaah....yeaaaaahhh....yeaaaah"

DUMBASSES!

11. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    But you think they were real people, off the street? I would be inclined to think they're just actors playing a role.

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Well, they're hardly going to show the ones who knew the map was wrong, are they? Just like JayWalking, only the idiots make good television.

And, as mentioned above, for most folks there's absolutely no need to know where Whogivesafuukistan is on a daily basis. That's why there ARE labels on maps.

13. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Of course. What gives you the inclination otherwise?

Why pay actors to recite scripted material when you can draw upon nature's bountiful supply of stupidity?

True, but they're still idiots - hence our laughter at their expense.

France, Korea and Iran are hardly "whogivesafuukistans". They didn't just not know where these countries were. They were fooled into thinking a giant continent-sized land mass such as Australia was any of them...

The only things absolutely 'needed' on a daily basis are food, water and shelter. 'Need' is not an excuse IMO. Maybe if he asked people in the middle of Africa, their lack of knowledge could be excused.

14. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    Sometimes I find it difficult to reconcile myself to the idea that people may really be THAT stupid.

But you're probably right. That doesn't make me feel too good. :(

15. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just ask John McCain :)

16. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003