London/Mayfair Restaurants | FerrariChat

London/Mayfair Restaurants

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MARQ, May 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    My wife and I will be visiting London in mid-June for our 5th anniversary. We're staying in Mayfair, specifically at the Marriott Grosvenor Square.
    I'm looking for some recommendations for restaurants in the area, preferably within walking distance of the hotel (a mile or so).
    One name that has come up is 'Le Gavroche' on Upper Brook Street. Can anyone offer comments on this place or be kind enough to offer other recommendations for eateries in the area?
    Fancy or casual, no matter, we would like to try out some places that locals would be familiar with as we'll be there for 'bout 10 days.
    Our hotel features one of Ramsey's places but we'd like some other choices as well.
    Thanks in advance.

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    le gavroche is very nice, but it is in a basement...food is wonderful.
    the chinese in the dorchester is supposed to be good.
    gordon ramseys in chelsea is one of the best restos in uk.
    good japanese: nobu, zuma (best)
    good indian: zaika, tamarind, portes des indes
    good italian: zaferano, mediteraneo,
    blend: l'etranger
    casual places: harvey nicks 5th floor, wagamamma, hard rock, shepherds market
    pubs: churchill arms (best), red lion, bunch of grapes,
    bars; the meridian hotel,

3. Gemm

Gemm Formula 3

Aug 19, 2005
    Essex, England
    There are nice restaurants in Shepherd Market (Behind the Hilton on Park Lane), e.g. Sofra, Al Sultan etc. The place has a really nice atmosphere, so it's worth having a walk down there (about 5 mins from Grosvenor Sq) and checking them out. There are some nice pubs and cafes too.

4. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Thanks for the responses, guys. Most appreciated!
    You've certainly given us a lot to choose from.
    We'll definitely be checking out some of the places you've recommended.

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There's a relatively new restaurant up the road called Galvin which is very recommended - maybe not for a USD 300 anniversary blow out like Gavroche or Ramsay but very recommended for one of your other nights - similar context is the Boxwood Cafe which is a less formal Ramsay

6. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Thanks, greyboxer, for the additions. As I said, we've got 10 nights of dinners to eat and whether the cost is $400 or $50 for a meal, makes no matter. We're just looking for some good food and I'd certainly rather take the recommendation of local people who know, rather than the concierge at the hotel anytime.
    Again, I appreciate the range of suggestions you guys have offered up. We will definitely take the list with us and, hopefully, check out many of the places listed. We've still got a couple of weeks before we go, so if anyone can name some others, keep 'em comin'. Thanks!

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am sorry you picked a 10 day period where i wont be in town, or i would have invited you for a drink at the RAC !

8. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    my recommendation for what it is worth is the new Ramsey restaurant which you elude to. Its actually 50 yards from the front door of the Marriot. But don't let that put you off.

Out the front door, turn right and right again into Grovesnor square and you have arrived. Up the steps to be greeted by the doorman and into a fantastically designed restaurant.

Its right there less than a minute from the Marriot - its called Maze and has an excellent menu and wine list - food is great, service exceptional and bill is manageble - two should have a great meal for much less than $250 all in.

menu mostly french/french asian but i had the scottish lobster to start and a scottish fillet to follow and they were both dishes to die for!

they do a taster menu like tapas or a 5/7 course menu or a la carte

enjoy!

9. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas

If you want something really special book the 13 course tasting menu at the Chefs Table (in the kitchen) at Maze. It's quite expensive (£125+drinks) but really interesting as they show you how to cook a lot of the dishes

Of the others mentioned I would def go to Zuma, if you want really good Indian Food I think Amaya is the best (http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/london/display.php?Rest_ID=83021)
    The Chinese at the Dorchester is called China Tang, I think it looks good but the food is nothing special, a Chinese which is really good is Yauatcha (http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/london/display.php?Rest_ID=82949)
    Gordon Ramsay at Royal Hospital Road is an absolute must - http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/london/display.php?Rest_ID=80650
    Personally I don't like Le Gavroche, if you want a very formal place I think the Square is better- http://www.squarerestaurant.com/

10. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Thanks for the updated recommendations, guys. We've printed out this page and will be taking it with us.
    Upon our return, I'll let you know where we ended up dining during our stay.
    Thanks again for the wide range of choices!

11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Just discovered there are two versions of Galvin near you - on Baker Street is the one I was thinking of but they've just opened a much more expensive one on the 28 th floor of the Hilton Park Lane which I guess will have fantastic views

12. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    So noted; thanks.

13. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Given your possible Italian persuasion, can I suggest Locanda Locatelli in Seymour Street, short walk away on the other side of Oxford Street.

I just took my wife there for our anniversary.

See: http://www.locandalocatelli.com/

Whatever you do, have a good time.

Kind regards

Mark Shannon

14. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Thanks, Mark. Our sentiments exactly. We're really looking forward to the trip.

15. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    I ate there when it was the 'la Tante Claire' - and it was superb then, must have been 10 years ago.

16. Gemm

Gemm Formula 3

Aug 19, 2005
    Essex, England
    Although I haven't been there for ages, Criterion at Piccadilly Circus is (was) excellent. It's worth just going to see the decor.

17. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    ZUMA is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Some fab women in there too!

18. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    Ross is right with all of those;
    A couple of others, Mirabelle on Curzon St in Mayfair is lovely too and near you. Windows on the top floor of Park Lane Hilton is nice too with great views (may be being refurbed). Met Bar is in the Metropolitan Hotel is next door. Annabels on Berkeley Sq (you need to be with a member) is a nice place to eat and party.
    Zuma is the best. Book now.

19. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Forget all of those hoity-toity places, take your wife for some real London grot! Head over to Islington on the Picadilly line of the Tube. Get off at Holloway Road, left out of the tube station to a place called the Coronet which will be on the opposite side of the street a block or two down. There you can get a steak, salad, garden peas and chips for about six pounds fifty! ;)

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi