I tracked my 328 and then... | FerrariChat

I tracked my 328 and then...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by P Betz, May 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P Betz

P Betz Rookie

Sep 22, 2005
    Lynchburg, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Peter Betz
    I noticed my brakes won't fully disengage. They are always gently rubbing the rotors on all four wheels. You can hear them (particularlly right rear) and you can see the excesssive brakedust from rather short casual drives om all four wheels (thank God for Wheel Wax). I did a full brake fluid flush with no change (better or worse).

Interestingly, other than this, brake function and feel seems rather normal. Notably, I am close to needing to replace the pads, but the pad sensor has not yet been tripped.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Peter

p.s. The car was flawless on the track. I was very impressed with the performance of an 18 year old car.

2. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    Do you have a lot of pad material transferred onto the rotor? Do the rotors look patchy, or smooth all around?

3. P Betz

P Betz Rookie

Sep 22, 2005
    Lynchburg, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Peter Betz
    Rather smooth all around. No pulsatons during soft , normal or hard braking.

4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level

Glad you had fun at the track. By the way, we're all getting older.... 19 y/o

(no idea about your brake issue)

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Rubbing on both sides of the rotor, or only one?

I had a similar issue on a couple of Alfas: When you brake hard, the piston pushes the inboard pad against the rotor, and pulls the floating caliper and outboard pad against the rotor. If the caliper isn't floating freely, when you release the brakes, the caliper stays pulled against the outboard edge of the rotor, with the pad rubbing.

When I bought my 328, the front "floating" rotors weren't floating at all. A clean up of the calipers gets them floating again.

6. twoferraristom

Apr 2, 2004
    Your flexible brake line(s) could have possibly collapsed internally. This acts like a one way valve allowing the brakes to work but not release.If you come to a stop with a slight incline and then release your brake, the car won't roll due to the brake(s) not releasing. It can work OK at first and then get worse as you drive. It's a good idea to replace your hoses if they are old. Good Luck!