Spring 06 spotted | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Spring 06 spotted

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Hi Bill, I used to own a Pacer and I would like to own a Citroen SM some day. It is ok with me if you don't like these cars. At least we have Ferraris and English bikes in common.

2. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Dave,
    How the hell are ya? I was just mentally rambling on divergent designs, not necessarily ones that I hated. I actually like some of the Citroens and if you check out the Gordon Keeble it's pretty slick. When I got to the end, and realized that I was starting to include just about every car and decided to shut up so as not to "Remove All Doubt" as the saying goes :D

I was out at Goodpasters Sunday. We went on the Spring Shakledown ride, about 45 bikes logged about 150 miles. We went out to Kersting's motorcycle museum, near Winimac. You should take a ride out there. They have about 200 bikes of all descriptions, back to the 1800s.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Oh yeah, I know what you are saying. I just can't come to grips with it....:( (No, not what you said. But about the lack of individuality in todays Automobile designs) No man, It's just me. As much as I can embrace most new things...new Technology...change. However, sometimes it's a struggle for me to accept other changes. Especially, with my lifelong, undying passion for the Motor Car....

It's kind of funny. Back when I was in kindergarten, 1st Grade. We used to get these little 4-5 page booklets called "Weekly Reader". And, most of it contained stories regarding as to how things would be in "The Future". I can still clearly remember that they said "By the 1970's, everyone will be driving around in hovercrafts as their primary mode of transportation". Well, we do have hovercrafts. We have for decades. But, as of 2006, they are not quite yet the primary source of transportation.

And, also they would talk about how cars would be driven by themselves along some sort of Electro Magnetic current underneath the streets. All that the driver would have to do is to program their destination, sit back, and relax. Now, they already do have exactly that set up at some of the Largest European Seaports, for the Machines that load and unload the Intermodal Containers from Ships to Shore and back. No people driving them at all. They are programmed to go and find a specific container. Pick it up, and bring it where it is supposed to go. All on it's own. They have dozens of them "running around" doing the same thing at the same time. But they never clash, crash or bump into each other. They even go to the Fuel stations on their own when they know that they are getting low. Pretty Cool! But, again, not yet as a primary source of commuter travel. But it would be cool, someday....(Just as long as we would still be able to drive our Prehistoric Oil powered vehices....:) )

But, it seems to me that these Car Designers are trying to make all of these futuristic looking cars now-in their-our-lifetime that were shown years and years ago. As if they are somewhat pressured, by their own thinking maybe, to get these futuristic looking cars out before they/we die. I say, whats the hurry? What will they do in the next Millenium?

One of my Uncles had a Marlin back when they were new. It was Red with black trim. I actually like them. They also look kind of like those '66-'67 Chargers, with that fastback design.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Are you saying it is about the curving desings that make it hard to produce today? C'mon! Metal can be mass produced in any shape or form and if that really is the problem (I don't think so, just look at the VW Bug or that Chrysler or the Prowler) I take it in fibre glass; thank you very much. And for the distinguished gentleman in carbon fibre.

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah, and don't forget all of those beautifully rounded bodies and hoods on the cars from the '40's and '50's. And that was a much heavier gauge steel used back then!

Then, some of the curvaceous cars from the late '60's, early '70's. Chevelles, Buick GS and GTO/LeMans come to mind.

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Originally Posted by bill365
    It is/was much easier to build such voluptuous creations, when they are/were built by hand. Some of the extreme contours present is P3/4s and such would be nearly impossible to create in the numbers that are produced today.

WHAT??

Billiam, Billiam Billiam........!

7. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    FerrariFrank1 said, "Yeah, and don't forget all of those beautifully rounded bodies and hoods on the cars from the '40's and '50's. "

Tifosi12 said,"(I don't think so, just look at the VW Bug or that Chrysler or the Prowler)"

It's not just about being a rounded shape, it's about the compound shapes, when they get extreme, they have to be made by hand or in several pieces and then joined together. Or, as I did say earlier, produced in composites.

Take a look at the bodies of the older Ferraris, look for the changes in the surface height or contours, over very short spaces, in one panel. Compound contours in a body panel that obviously show the time, care and craftsmanship that went into producing it. Some groups of contours become quite difficult or not possible to stamp in one piece.

I was not referring to the simpler curved, single contour panels, of the cars from the 40s, 50s, Bugs or Prowlers.

8. 5683592

5683592 Karting

Oct 23, 2005
    new jag xk coupe, very nice (oakbrook)
    aston martin db9 (hinsdale got pics)
    bentley arnage (westmont)
    acura nsx (hinsdale got pics)
    acura nsx (hinsdale)
    maserati quattroporte

and for all the ferrary lovers.

two great ones, two days in a row.

FIRST. yesterday a red f40 pulled into Mobil in hinsdale. drew about a crowd of 25-30.
    SECOND. today a red ferrari daytona driving around hinsdale for about a hour, i saw it 3 seperate times.

great. i love summer.

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Listen, I am not going to debate this issue. You really can't debate somebody's "opinion"..... likes, dislikes, preferences, whatever. Because, to me, my own opinion about cars is the only one that matters to me anyway....:) I don't care what somebody else thinks....that's their opinion....:) Nobody can tell me any different. I like what I like. I don't like what I don't like. And, in my opinion, this has already gone too far as it is. Definitely isn't an issue worth debating anyway!

O.K.....so....In My Opinion....MOST of Todays Car designs look like sh*t! ESPECIALLY....High Dollar, so called "Exotic" Cars.
    And for what they charge for them, I would expect something much more "Exotic" looking....Special...different...exciting...unusual...one of a kind...standing out from the crowd... from a manufacturer known for making "Exotic" Cars. Thats all.

10. 5683592

5683592 Karting

Oct 23, 2005
    ah, and i forgot a new sl600, it was tuned, with nice rims. on the side it said carlson, but on the back it said renntech. i got pics it was at mobil in hinsdale.

EDIT: I FORGOT AGAIN! two continetal gt's and a m5.

11. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Frank,
    I don't know where you got the idea that I was debating against your taste.

I was just talking about why a lot of the newer cars don't look as striking, as beautiful or sexy and maybe look alike. I was discussing the difficulty of trying to mass produce bodies like P3/4s in metal.

12. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Spotted yesterday morning - Yellow 328 I've never seen before parked on Wadsworth road just east of 41. An hour later I went back past and it was still there. I couldn't stop to see who it was as I was running for parts and was crunched for time :(
    Chelle

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I still disagree: Sculpt one out of any material you like, then take a mold. Or in today's day and age do a laser scan and use robots to form the production pieces. A friend of mine was a prototype builder for GM, anything is possible today.

14. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  15. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Wow I didn't even know the S3 was out yet. Have the new S8s been released with the Gallardo engine?

16. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    No it was the Old Audi S3. Not the current one. Notice this is a 3 door, not a 'sport back' 5 door.

17. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Originally Posted by bill365
    Rubbish I say; total rubbish!

18. 5683592

5683592 Karting

Oct 23, 2005
    umm it looked like a 250 gto but i dont think it was becuase those are really rare. but some nice old ferrari, really good condition. my camera has been messed up lately to take any pictures. sorry guys.

19. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    In the TR yesterday, saw a red 360 spyder heading south on Rte 31 near Northwest Highway. Was going to fast (I was) to recognize the driver.

20. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Spotted: 2 "Boss Hoss" Motorcycles, one Black, one yellow, headed S.bound on Summit Av. in Oakbrook Terrace on Sunday. These are the Motorcycles with the V8 Chevy-either 350Cu.In. or 502 Cu.In-engines on them.....WOW!!!

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And with that and the 90+ temps of this weekend I'm closing this thread. It sure ain't spring anymore.