Whatever happened to -- | FerrariChat

Whatever happened to --

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Texas Forever, May 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Mathias Rust? Remember, he was the kid who, 19 years today, landed his private plane in Red Square.

According to WEHT.net

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Crazy guy - my landing that plane, he helped the Soviet Union collapse...

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It is kinda funny thinking about it. All that cold war hype about nuclear war with Russia and then some kid from Finland flies low across the water and lands in Red Square. I guess that Reagan didn't need Star Wars after all. :)

Dale

4. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    You know I took Russian in High School? I was prepared!

5. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    We had a pictogram of American chemical/biological bombs in one of the classrooms.

6. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Oh, cool!

Did you guys have the equivalent of "duck and cover" films shown in class?

7. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    #7 Maranello Guy, May 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's interesting story , but did you ever wonder what happen with people from famous pictures (mainly form world press photo) ?

I am pretty sure all of you guys know this tragic/horrible picture of General Nguyen Ngoc Loan executing Van Lem, a Viet Cong officer (World Press Photo of the Year: 1968) !

Here is a story of the executor (www.answers.com) :
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Thanks for bringing in such an interesting parallel - a plane in Red Square which led to the end of the Cold War - a picture which led to the end of popular support for the Vietnam War.
    ___

July 27 1998 Time magazine

DIED. NGUYEN NGOC LOAN, 67, South Vietnamese national-police commander whose 1968 point-blank execution of a bound Viet Cong prisoner in Saigon stunned Americans when they saw it on film; in Burke, Va. The widely reprinted photo, which won a Pulitzer Prize for Associated Press photographer Eddie Adams, fortified public opinion against the war. After the fall of Saigon, Loan and his family moved to Virginia, where he ran a restaurant. (See Eulogy below.)

Eulogy
    I won a Pulitzer Prize in 1969 for a photograph of one man shooting another. Two people died in that photograph: the recipient of the bullet and GENERAL NGUYEN NGOC LOAN. The general killed the Viet Cong; I killed the general with my camera. Still photographs are the most powerful weapon in the world. People believe them, but photographs do lie, even without manipulation. They are only half-truths. What the photograph didn't say was, "What would you do if you were the general at that time and place on that hot day, and you caught the so-called bad guy after he blew away one, two or three American soldiers?" General Loan was what you would call a real warrior, admired by his troops. I'm not saying what he did was right, but you have to put yourself in his position. The photograph also doesn't say that the general devoted much of his time trying to get hospitals built in Vietnam for war casualties. This picture really messed up his life. He never blamed me. He told me if I hadn't taken the picture, someone else would have, but I've felt bad for him and his family for a long time. I had kept in contact with him; the last time we spoke was about six months ago, when he was very ill. I sent flowers when I heard that he had died and wrote, "I'm sorry. There are tears in my eyes."
    --Eddie Adams

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    As mentioned earlier, there was a movie camera rolling on the entire event at the same time. But you couldn't send a fax "film" to the whole world at that time; only still pictures. So the still photographer wins a Pulitzer prize and the movie photographer gets nothing. The movie is much more gruesome.

10. Tracktoy

Tracktoy Rookie

Aug 27, 2005
    Raleigh N.C.
    Full Name:
    Jason H.
    Many people thought Michael Faye was the only one that screwed up in another country, and hey he got off easy by comparison.

11. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Agreed. That famous footage was shown in the film, "Hearts and Minds". It was purportedly a "documentary", but very obviously made with an anti-war POV by the filmmakers. Regardless of your opinion one way or the other about our actions in Vietnam, it's an excellent example of opinionated journalism. There's another word I'm trying to think of, but I'm sure you get my intention.