Maine dyno day- Portland | FerrariChat

Maine dyno day- Portland

Discussion in 'New England' started by jwise, Apr 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Folks-

Summer is so close- so I wanted to start a post and see if anyone has any interest in getting a dyno day together here in Portland?

Here is the website for the shop:

www.f1dyno.com

I stopped in yesterday to find out group pricing, times, etc. I figured a Saturday in June or July would be best.

Time: maybe 10am-3pm or so. That would give us plenty of time for any multiple runs.

Price- $40-$50 per car for back-to-back runs, but the guy said he would be fine with throwing a car back on the dyno later if someone needed to test again after any modifications. He sounded like he wanted to work with us and really looked forward to it. He also said it would be no problem to grill up some food if we wanted it for lunch. I'll take care of that cost if we decide to go that route.

This is also a 4-wheel dyno, if required.

If we get 7 or more cars, it could get a little cheaper.

All of you Massachusetts/NH folks (Verell, Birdman, Spider348, enjoythemusic etc) could caravan up (it's about 2 hours from Verell's).

If you don't want to run the dyno, just come buy and hang out for a while.

GregTe? PMDDMD? pete04222? dpardyferrari? I'm sure I missed some Maine folks.

No reason we couldn't go for a drive after- of course :)

Any interest? If so- please post days that will/will not work for you.

thanks folks,

jwise

2. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Hi John,
    Not really interested in putting the car on the dyno but I wouldn't mind swinging by to check it out if you get something lined up.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    John,
    I would love to put the 308 on the dyno again once my new ignition is in to compare the old ignition/badly tuned carbs with the new ignition and well tuned carbs. I would also enjoy a nice ride up to your neck of the woods in the red car! Got any idea when?

Birdman

4. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Pete- sounds good. We'll see if i can drum up enough participants- so just check this thread.

Birdman- excellent. I'm thinking sometime in June/July maybe? The dyno place is available most weekends if I reserve it soon.

How about June 10 or 17? Or July 22 or 29?

jwise

5. carmaster

carmaster Karting

Jan 13, 2004
    Boston/ Portland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Is this the place on Riverside? I would be interested in watching.

6. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    The only one of those days I'm home for is July 22nd, but since I'm not putting the car on the dyno you can eliminate my scheduling constraints. If you have it on a day I'm gone, oh well, have fun guys. If you have it on a day I'm home, I'll bring my earplugs.

7. Jeff Torrey

Jeff Torrey Karting

May 18, 2004
    #7 Jeff Torrey, May 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Thanks Jeff- sounds like alot of fun. What time will you folks be starting it up? How many cars do you have planned? How many spots are available? My poor 308 won't stand a chance against Vipers and Panteras, but sure makes alot of nice noise for a little V8. ;)

Honestly, I'm a little suprised/confused by the lack of interest in a Ferrari dyno day. I would think it would be alot of fun, and a good time for a drive after. How could you go wrong? Maybe it's too far from Boston.

So Birdman, carmaster, Pete04222, how about we join in the Viper/Pantera day? Jeff, maybe this is too many people? Obviously, we will do whatever works for you guys.

Thanks again for the invite.

9. dpardyferrari

dpardyferrari Karting

Aug 7, 2002
    Brunswick Maine
    Full Name:
    Darrell Pardy
    John:

I would be interested - I had the engine in the 308 completely rebuilt over the winter and with the tubi addition and cat removal the car is really fast! New brembos as well to slow it down. Are you going over on June 3rd - would love to add a little more Italian to all that Detroit muscle.

Cheers

Darrell

10. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Howdy Darrell-
    Great to hear from you! Why the engine rebuild? Did IFS do it for you?
    Very curious to hear about that one. PM me if that's easier. If nothing else, it would be great to compare your rebuilt engine to my 60K mile engine on the dyno. I think that may depress me though.....

Yep, I'm planning on joining the Viper/Pantera folks, But, it would be better to organize one for the local Ferrari clan alone if we can gather up enough people. I think five would be the minumum. With you involved, we have three who want to try it out.

Either way, I'm getting this puppy on the dyno soon so I know she is running to potential....or not!

So, monitor this post for more info in the future. Thanks again-
    jwise

11. Jeff Torrey

Jeff Torrey Karting

May 18, 2004
    jwise- I talked to Jim Wallace / Pantera Club Today- He is in Europe but will find out this weekend how many to expect. My guess is 3 cars

The Viper Club usually has 5 or 6 cars at the dyno day. I won't be Dynoing my car this time (I might be driving my Lotus).

If you guys have 2-3 cars that would work.

Usually we get there about 10:30am

12. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    #12 jwise, May 18, 2006
    Thanks Jeff- sounds like a blast. I actually drove my first Viper last year- and it was a wild one. It had a Paxton supercharger with something around 800HP (quoted). This car frightened me. Thanks for the drive Tom :)

jwise
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Jeff Torrey

Jeff Torrey Karting

May 18, 2004
    If I told you what I thought about people that build 800 hp Vipers... you wouldn't respect me in the morning (...not that there's anything wrong with that).

You think it's easy huh (LOL).

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Let me get this straight. You expect me to bring an old '77 308 that can barely get out of its own way up to a dyno day with a bunch of frickin' VIPERS? What are you, insane???? ;)

At least on a Ferrari dyno day I'm getting my @zz kicked by other Fcars. I don't think I could stand the embarassment of being subjected to the ridicule of the V-10 club!

Birdman

15. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Jeff- I don't understand, what am I thinking is "easy"?

And I agree- I'm not a fan of supercharged 308s, but to each his own.

Birdman- I won't hold it against someone who is into V10 american muscle. ;) We must represent!!

They deserve some bragging rights on the dyno, but there is not a Viper in the world that looks as beautiful as a 308- in my opinion. They sure do sound cool though.

But you are correct- we are in for a severe thumpin'....

16. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    John, maybe I will join up with the Birdman and observe. Like Birdman my 348 would be making peak HP at 8k rpm. The Vipers would be making the same at about 3k!!! I will see how the 3rd looks and let you know. John.

17. GregTe

GregTe Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Maine
    I'd like to make it, but i work saturdays.

18. Jeff Torrey

Jeff Torrey Karting

May 18, 2004
    #18 Jeff Torrey, May 20, 2006
    Jeff- I don't understand, what am I thinking is "easy"? KIdding

Hanging around with a bunch of guys that think bigger is always better. I own a 1992 Viper, and it's the oldest-slowest-most unrefined of them all. Dodge Built 285 cars in 1992. So its an original

It Dyno's out at 394 Rear Wheel Horse Power / 495 Rear Wheel Torque

19. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    So, I'm thinking of just joining up with the Viper Club this Saturday.

Darrell- are you game?

Birdman/Spider348- any interest in coming up to hang out?

Jeff- is it still o.k. for me to show up?

Looks like it could be raining.....

Thanks folks-
    jwise

20. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Well, it must have been cancelled because nobody was there except the guy who runs the place. I would think wet cars/tires on a dyno would be no fun.

Jeff- please post or pm me if you guys are planning on a reschedule and still have an available spot or two- thanks.

jwise

21. Jeff Torrey

Jeff Torrey Karting

May 18, 2004
    jwise- we will reschedule probably for the fall. I'll give you plenty of notice. Sorry I didn't check back before the event to let you know.

Last year the Dyno Day was on the same day as the Italian Car Day at Larz Anderson. It poured all day in Maine, so no one was interested in driving up again in the rain.