512tr top speed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

512tr top speed

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by AmoCS, May 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    I just talked to someone who did the Challenge Rally (or whatever it is called) in California. He was going to drive his F40 but had fuel pump problems. So he flew home and got his 512 TR which is chipped and I think has bypass pipes. He was telling me that the power and speed of his car amazed people and that he walked away from some newer F-Cars at high speed.

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    all these people that comment have never had a 512tr so really they are talking rubbish i have had both 355 / f512m and the 355 is a slow in comparision to the 12 cylinder

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Like F is really going to say, "heres our new 355, by the way its slower than your old 512TR " :)

4. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Stop talking poo man, you know i had a TR. And me 355 is faster:D But i would love a 512M any day of the week;)

5. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    In returning to to the main question of this thread, one must always look at the publisher's test bed, and this case, Milbrook proving grounds does not have the space (long enough straight) to conduct a true top speed test. The May 2006 issue of EVO magazine has a very nice and long article testing top speed.

In regards to the 512TR itself, when I had mine on the dyno, I decided to also perform a top speed run. The dyno shut down when 205mph was measured, and that occurred at 6,950rpm in 5th gear. The car's speedometer was pretty closely matched to the dyno readout, and was resting on the "peg" when the dyno shut down.

Yeah, the exhaust is not factory stock, and the ECU firmware is also not stock and has the rev limiter bumped to 7,800 rpm, and K&N's are also installed with some other minor intake mods as well. SO, theoritically, mine should be able to do around 215 mph, but I will never know for sure, as there is no practical way to test that.

FORZA !

Brian S.

6. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    1991 TR with Tubi, test pipes, K&N = 188 mph ( 301 km/h) on GPS!!! (speedometer 196 mph -315 km/h)

7. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    I agree with you William. Although mine is completely stock, I find it gets smaller the faster I go, making it very easy to toss. Like any mid-engine, you just have to make sure that if you allow oversteer to develop you control it quickly, which can only be done safely on a track. I find it much easier to do control than say a 1992 Porsche Turbo (all the stuff in the rear) or my 1997 Audi A4 FWD with all the stuff in the front !

8. vmanaktala

vmanaktala Karting

Dec 28, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Vinnie
    How do they account for the aerodynamic drag of the car on a Dyno? Unless there is a way to add aerodynamic drag to the dyno, it has no real relevants in the real world. The power to push a 512TR to 215mph would be far more then an exhaust and air filter mod.

9. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I agree and also have had both. I think the 512 will pull away from a 360 from 70. Mine is very fast.

10. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    not many ferrari's have the torque of a 12 cylinder ferrari as once you get it going it just keeps going all the way to 190mph but the problem is getting it going from a standstill to 30mph without ruining the clutch and tyres

11. SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE

SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2006
    Charleroi Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stefaan Wauters
    Hi ther,
    Maybe you're the one who's having "small attatchments"....?
    My '86 TR is laser straight in accelerating and braking...
    Look at my vid's:I even do it with only one hand...
    Sorry,I needed 1 or 2 more miles to hit that 320 mark,next time better.
    Even better,I have another vid of me in the TR,filming the dash at 270kmh+,and my wife calls me...then I took the phone,while filming....Seriously,my TR could go at full speed without keeping the wheel in my hands,icredible car!! You can hear me hitting the rev limiter in 2d gear.
    Rev counter was faulty,but has been fixed yet.
    I know it's a repost...
    Speedman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Mg10fQHlA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkCVdDBFlzw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg0kc9iFaTI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYHMwieBE9E

12. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    My 1993 512 TR with a Tubi f-ing smoked a 355 with a Calisto exhaust from a dead stop. Not only is it faster 0-60, it is faster in the top end. I had my 512 TR up to 192 mph last summer and it had some room to go.

13. AmoCS

AmoCS Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Amo
    That's really interesting cos on paper their 0-60 times are similar.
    Wonder how the 512tr would compare with a 360.

Bet the Calisto (lol Capristo), sounded alot louder though

14. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    I read top speed of 173 for the 512tr and 176 for the f512m.. since at top speed the car does not handle well at all..

15. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Hi John,
    Where did you see this information?
    Thanks,

16. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Hi John,
    Interesting, where did you see this information?
    Thanks,

17. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Agree.... though, I did 178 mph in my Testarossa but I felt like I was floating, never felt the road. Too much lift.... very dangerous at top speed. I heard this true for nearly all Ferrari...

18. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Agree.... though, I did 178 mph in my Testarossa but I felt like I was floating, never felt the road. Too much lift.... very dangerous at top speed. I heard this true for nearly all Ferrari...

19. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth

20. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    i read it on line tried to look for it but did find it.. yet fast cars or top speed ..
    john

21. SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE

SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2006
    Charleroi Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stefaan Wauters
    WTF????
    Am I the only one around with a solid stabil laser straight TR...??
    Mine is LASER staight even at 300+ KMH.
    I can let go the wheel and the car WILL NOT CHANGE TRAJECTORY!!!!
    I have full trust in the car at those speeds.
    Speedman

22. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    True! The 512tr I drove was waaay more torquey off the line than my F355! But the problem is that "miami vice" look of the 512tr. The F355 spider is perfectly proportioned with timless lines! :D

:eek: ;) :D

23. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham

My 512 TR felt MUCH MORE comfortable and stable at 190+ than my 1991 911 Turbo at near the same speed.

24. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    I've read top speed on 512 TR is either 192 or 196 depending on who tested it. Where did you see these numbers?

25. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    Maybe I just beat him with reaction time to the light, but his 355 was a few car lengths behind. I have a 5 speed manual obviously and he has F1 transmission. Don't know, but the torque of the 12 cylinder is hard to beat.