You know I want to get a TR BUT | FerrariChat

You know I want to get a TR BUT

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JOHN328, May 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JOHN328

JOHN328 Karting

Jan 2, 2003
    SAN FRANCISCO BAY AR
    Full Name:
    JOHN STRIEGEL
    You know I want to get a 85-90 TR, but with all the newer sports cars out there at about the same cost (Corvette, 500SL, 911, ect) and at 80% lower up keep and easier resale. And yes I know "its not a Ferrari" I have own a 308 and a 328. Do I want to spend the money on a 12 cyl Ferrari ???

2. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    If you're going to rationalize it that way then it's not worth it. I can see the 996 instead of a Testarossa but not the Vette or the 500SL.

3. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    you are correct on all counts. Do you? I think you do or you wouldn't be asking us.

4. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I think you are voicing what a lot of folks here think from time to time, although it may not be cool to talk about it! Its like the crazy aunt in the family that people aren't supposed to bring up.

So what do you like about the TR? If its styling, there aren't many modern cars that will give you the depth of and impact of the tr.
    If its power, go for the vette or maybe a tt but personally I would go 993 instead of 996.
    If you are looking for practical, more eveyday driver kind of car, well the choices are staggering.
    If its sound, you are sh*t out of luck...!:)

5. whammo!

whammo! Formula Junior

May 16, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    please, no 500SL. If you looking at it as "well it cost as much as the newer cars" then dont buy the ferrari.

6. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    sl is OK if it's a AMG SL55- that thing makes muscle car noises of its own quality, and will out accelerate many many cars...but it's more of a GT luxury car, not a sports car.

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Not me. Not even once. Not for a single second.

It's not a car. It's an experience. It's a friend.

Giving up my car would be like having to give a speech at my best friends wake.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I see an arbitrary list of expensive cars that don't have much in common. How do you compare a 500SL with a Testarossa? Even among the German cars, the SL vs. 911 distinction divides people into two pretty definite camps.

I don't know of anyone who's worked the numbers and come up with a Ferrari as the rational choice. I think you have to show up on this forum accepting that you're willing to pay a price (purchase and service) for an exotic car and go from there.

Yep, I wish I had an F40 in the garage, but the notion of going from my 328 to an SL is just unfathomable. I could see parking an SL next to the Ferrari, but sheesh... don't stick a Ferrari in an Excel spreadsheet next to the Benz and expect to come up with any meaningful conclusions.

9. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am best a few years away from buying my Ferrari, but I am going to.

There is no rational reason why... I just want one.

I don't think the local F dealer will take a 10 year old WRX as a trade (and I probably won't want to trade it), but I will drive every car I own into the ground and make my car payments to the F car fund. Then one of these days I will drive my F car home. I will then make my payments into the F car maintainance fund.

I could go buy a Porche today, but why. It would only mean prolonging the wait for my F car.

Just my little ramblings on the matter... it is all about what you want, not what is rational.

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    And I would feel exactly the same about a 328, a mondial, a 308GT4 as I do about my car. They are family!

Your last sentence is key... worth becoming rossa just to use it as my signature!!!

11. redTRinSacramento

Jan 30, 2006
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    David
    As the owner of both a 90' TR and a 00' SL 600, I can only say the TR is the more exciting of the V-12 pair. I have actually had more problems with the SL and all it's "modern" electronics, etc!

Is the SL 600 fast? Yes, but in a locomotive, quiet sorta way. Even with the top down...quiet and not too exciting.

On the other hand the TR's a beast that actually requires one to pay attention and drive. It's a great mood enhancer and will always put a smile on your face.

Anyone wanna buy an SL 600? :)

Good luck in your Ferrari search.

12. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Being the proud owner (since March) of an 86 TR all I can say is ... GO FOR IT! I have an awesome sound system that I hardly ever turn on because I can't get over the sound of the 12 cylinders. I have more people turn heads, give thumbs up, and even take pictures. Would never get any of that with your alternates)

13. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    VERY, VERY well put. None of this is about rational choices. It's about the passion. I recently got my first Ferrari (a 308) and am thrilled. I was out on a run with an FChatter who had a Testarossa (512 TM) this weekend and it sounded, looked, felt incredible. At the end of the day, 308 or Testarossa, you can have the same passion, the same history.

14. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    the TR should keep its value better than all those cars although it is more $ to maintain but then again so are most hot chicks ;)

15. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As a fellow TR lover and lucky owner, I can say that what everyone says is true in that it must be an emotional choice, not a practical one. A Testarossa that is well sorted and in great shape will reward you many times over. Their reputation for being unreliable and a maintenance nightmare is NOT deserved, if you start off with a good car. Oh sure there are TRs to run away from, but doesn't every make and model have these lipstick-pigs? If you had a good friend who has a TR and would trade cars with one of yours for a few days...I think you would have your mind made up to get one. If you do your own services the costs are $1,500 to $2,000 for everything, and you only do this every 5 to 6 years or so. Even though I've been a TR owner for almost 5 years (on my 2nd one), it's still a thrill for me to get it out and drive it. My TR is grigio metallic/tan and on sunny days it's just stunning. The shapes on the body are really something. A gorgeous combination of straight lines and curves. These cars are a real pain in the butt to wash, but at the same time it's fun because there are so many sensuous curves and ridges to run your hands over....it could be x-rated if your a pervert or something! But really...I don't regret it for a second owning a TR. Some day the world will wake up and realize how great these cars are...but for now the market is ripe for the picking. And if I had the extra money I'd have me another 2 or 3 of them!

Sorry to stand on my soapbox....but long live the Testarossa....!!!!

16. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    One thing to keep in mind was the TR was the top of the line Ferrari at the time, newer cars could be faster but when you drive them and feel the craftsmanship of the hand made full leather interiors and how they are built the cheaper made cars like the SL500 and 996 just don't compare.Think of what it would cost today to use as much hand labor to make the same car.

17. redTRinSacramento

Jan 30, 2006
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    David
    Just a short addition, these latest replies ring true! My TR still has the "new car smell" and I have almost 60,000 miles on it! Not a daily driver, but I sure don't hestiate (too often--LOL) to drive it. I agree with the hand washing, what a thrill!

18. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I think what most here are saying is that you have to have an innate love for Ferrari to understand none other comes close. I have owned most of the cars mentioned. The SL500 is a great car but no sound!

No other car will compare to the Ferrari's.

When that 360 rolls over, it's an incredible feeling. I have only experienced that feeling with one very powerful twin engine airplane I have flown and ,of course, the beautiful DINO I owned in the 70's.

You bite the bullet or not.

But comparing to a Corvette! I don't think so.

19. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    There are two cars that I hate with a perfect and clear mind and those are corvettes and mustangs.

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I'm married so I can not collect the data, but I'm guessing that a TR would be cheaper to keep around...

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    WILLIAM H has the data, he showed me at the FFQC in New Orleans....LOL!

22. JOHN328

JOHN328 Karting

Jan 2, 2003
    SAN FRANCISCO BAY AR
    Full Name:
    JOHN STRIEGEL
    Thanks for the input, I have found that the older TR's are now priced well. I have noticed that a lot of these cars have very very low miles for a 20 year old Ferrari, why is that ?, when I had my 308 and 328 I put on about 5,000 miles on them per year. Do they REALLY have that few miles or are they playing the disconect O speed O game. Or is it "if I drive it around the block it will cost me $3.00 per mile ?, Does a TR with 60,000 miles on it turn into a car that your will never sell ?

John 328

23. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Well, I can comment on the testarossa VS 996 issue.

Testarossa is unique, special, and I feel tingly all over when I drive it. Sounds cool, though not particularily fast. Cool interior, leather everywhere, likely appreciating. If something breaks, its going to hurt. :)

Porsche 996. With aerokit, looks cool. FEELS slower than a testarossa. Muted engine. Cheap interior. Horrible resale. I would, though, buy another one as its great value for the money. You can get a 99-00 for 35,000$ or so. DIRT CHEAP. I would never buy a new one - resale is poor.

So, with the testarossa you risk financial ruin if it breaks :).

With the porche you risk financial ruin due to depreciation (on a new one) :).

Pick your poison...

24. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    I have an 87 TR and a 2000 360. I want a 550 or a new Aston Martin Vantage. So I figure it's time to sell the TR, right? I mean, 17 years old, expensive to maintain, old technology, a little rough around the edges. So what happens, everytime I get in the damn thing and go to bring it to the dealer for trade in I turn around and bring it home! I am not sure what it is, I start it up in the garage, let it warm up, spend the time listening to the motor. Then back it out of the garage, work my arms dead trying to work the stupid non-assist steering, barely able to turn the wheel, get going down the road, making sure to shift from 1st to 3rd, do not engage 2nd at all yet, not on upshifts or downshifts for at least 5-10 minutes. Get brakes up to temp, but not too hot (as they fade!).

But then I hit that 270 degree on-ramp to the highway, feed a little wheel angle, feel the rear start rolling and finally stepping out, car gets a little loose, countersteer a smidge, use the throttle to corrrect the U/S or O/S, just work it carefully, hit that eixt apex and keep it in 3rd gear a little longer, while I go under the overpass, engine running up to redline, doing about 100mph, listening to that engine wail, shift to 4th, run up to 120-125 before shutting it down as you merge onto the highway.

And then you see the 13 year old kid in the minivan in the middle lane, eyes and mouth wide open, grabbing mom or dad over the front seat, tugging on their shoulder while pointing at you and your car. You slow down in the slow lane until you are parallel with the kid. You slowly turn your head left, look at the kid as he gives you the "thumbs up" and you give the casual hand wave or head tilt, and then you down shift, give it a small squirt on the gas and head on your way, that smile still on your face, knowing you just made that kid's day, and maybe your's too.

Try that with a Corvette, Porsche or Merc. They may do it faster or cheaper or easier, but never, never better. And that's why I keep my TR.

25. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    Well said.

Don't fear the low mileage cars. These cars are meant to be driven, but while it is a thrill, sometimes it can be an expensive exercise....

...but worth it :)

I've had my TR for 12 years and I've only put about 10,000 miles on it. It's had its problems and quirks, but I wouldn't trade it for many other cars right now.

I bought a Boxster for the day to day thrills, but it's not the same. If you are a Ferrari fanatic, you must own a TR at some point.

If nothing else, just for special occasions...