Dumb f___ number 2 | FerrariChat

Dumb f___ number 2

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ndnguyen, Jun 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ndnguyen

ndnguyen Karting

Jul 27, 2005
    I was working on the 328 and needed to move it a bit, being Mr. Ever Efficient, instead of starting the car and backed it up, I open the door, stuck my foot out and push on the floor. Except that I forgot the garage floor had a bit of an incline, the car rolled, its door got caught on the garage door's rail, creating a nice long scratch on the door's edge and took out a decorative piece of wood that was covering the garage door's rail.

On the positive side, if the door didn't get caught, the car could have rolled completely down the drive way, hit a car, or worse a kid.

- Nguyen

ps: click here for "dumb f number 1", may be you'll get a few laughs out of it.
    http://home.comcast.net/~ndnguyen3/stories/justgravity.htm

2. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    done something similar too, DOH!

3. psmaia

psmaia Karting

Oct 26, 2005
    greenwich, conn.
    Full Name:
    Paul Marchese
    i've done much worse, but choose not to embarrass myself with details here...cheer up, ***t happens...

4. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Yeah, sometimes it's not so fun personalizing your own Ferrari :)

Three of the four "blemishes" on my 308 were done by me.

5. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Did that with my '72 Mustang (about 8 years ago), except I bent the door, I had to drive it to the dealers while holding the door shut, $70.00 later all was well. Now that I remember it happened on a Saturday night I drove for two days while holding the door shut.

6. 328gtsfan

328gtsfan Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2004
    Aus
    Full Name:
    Greg
    wow.. yes could be worse.

Similar to another thread on here where the door of 328 got jammed rolling out of a garage and ended up bending the car door.. apparently $2500 worth.

7. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Sorry to read that. My garage floor also has a slight incline to it, so I will make sure to keep your story in mind. Hope the repair is not to expensive.

8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    As my 308 was being delivered the drivers foot slipped off the clutch and he jammed the end of the open driver's door into the inside of the truck. I got it fixed. Not a month later I went to start the car and forgot it was in reverse ( a real rookie mistake) and damn near rammed it into the garage wall. "Missed it by that much"!! I now make sure the car is in neutral when I park it in the garage and double check before starting!

9. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    How about lighting up a big cigar to celebrate the delivery of a new Aston-Martin and walking right into the roof of the car with the stogie in my mouth, burning the paint in a lovely concentric circle. Only had the car 15 min~

10. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Hahahaha, I feel sorry for you, but the way you told it, I keep laughing.. From the way you told it, it sounds like you laugh at it too :)

11. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I remember being barely 17, working on my MGB-GT, taking the motor out to put in a new clutch. I was so careful, read every paragraph in the Haynes manual twice, really doing a good job and moving right along. Came time to lift out the motor, and as I lifted, I carefully checked for anything not undone or hanging up anywhere, and after it lifted a bit it wouldnt go any father. Up and down she went as I looked, finally to see the main battery lead still connected to the starter motor. DOH!!!!

But the cool thing was, the nut was finger loose and the cable all wiggly on the stud. The months of pain trying to find out why the car never charged were solved at last.

12. dfrace

dfrace Karting

May 6, 2006
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Hello everyone, I've been lurking awhile and thought this would be as good a place as any for my first post.

Drive home from boat dealer pulling new FishnSki, drag it across the mailbox and put a 1 inch by 11 foot gash in the gelcoat (the sparkly lettered part too)

13. SIVAN

SIVAN Karting

Jun 6, 2004
    Lake Forest, CA
    Full Name:
    Si Van Nguyen
    I got a dumb f--- story too. My first Ferrari , a 77' 308gtb bought from a dealer in Salt Lake City 7 years ago, was delivered to me in California in a long enclosed car hauler, the kind that can haul 10-15 cars at a time. It seemed my car was the last to be dropped off. The young delivery truck driver was afraid to back the Ferrari down the ramp so he asked me to do it, and I stupidly agreed! I climbed way up into the hauler, climbed into the car through the window because the door could not be opened because of lack of clearance inside the hauler, started the engine, and it started up immediately! except it was in reverse and I had not engaged the clutch pedal fully, so the car shot backward down the ramp at high speed, and nearly gave me a sphincter failure. I slammed on the brake and amazingly it stopped the car suspended on the middle of the ramp and barely missing the truck driver as he dived out of the way. I think he did shat in his pant seeing the car flying out the back of the hauler like that. I then put it into neutral and eased it down the ramp the rest of the way and directly into my garage, then I didn't know how to open the door from the inside ( couldn't find the latch! I had only seen the car on the dealer's web site and did not personally inspect the car , another stupid mistake!), so I ended up climbing out of the window . By now I had forgotten about the outside door latch at the window's edge too! All this happened as my neighbor was watching me from across the street! The car survived without a scratch to this day though! Knock on wood!SiVan

14. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Something similar happened to my dad. He opened the door into the garage wall chipping the black paint. Then he was doing something to the mirror and glue dripped onto the side of our car and has been there since.

15. kyleseyz

kyleseyz Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    wow.... I will remember NEVER to start an Fcar in gear...

I hear some kid in Chicago was pulling the miles off of his dad's 250 GT california spyder because a valet joyrode in it all day, and he kicked it off the jacks and it flew out of the glass garage and into the woods on his property, I am sure the car was totaled!

My sister in law was backing out of her garage one morning and had the driver's door wide open, except she was looking over her shoulder and didn't notice! She slammed it into the garage, tearing the door off and sending sheetrock dust EVERYWHERE! She feels so bad but family can never let you forget something like that! My little brother has backed his Scion into the garage door several times on his way to school, my dad calls me everytime asking why he can't be more like me lol!

16. ParadiseRoad

ParadiseRoad Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Colorado
    A friend almost dumb f'ed himself fatally once. Was working under a '64 Corvette that was up on ramp stands. The car rolled off the rampstands and stopped against the wall behind it pinning my friend to the floor. If the neighbor hadn't been in his backyard and heard the blood curdling scream he let out with the last breath he could draw in, he would have been subject to a very bad way to go. Fortunately, the neighbor didn't hesitate, ran over and, fortunately again, knew how to use a floor jack that just happened to be close at hand, and got the car off of him in record time.

17. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    We can, and should, laugh at all the stupid things we've done; after all usually it's just property damage which can be repaired replaced. But thanks for posting the above because that should be a lesson for all of us. When I go down in the garage and I'm going to be working under the car (I don't have a hoist) I am aware that I am trusting my life to whoever built my $30 jackstands. I always place an additional fail safe block somewhere under the car in addition to the jack stands. If I'm alone I always tell my wife that if she doesn't hear from me every 20 mins or so to check on me. It was just luck that your friend's neighbor was available and capable. BE CAREFUL.

18. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off ...