CA black plate | FerrariChat

CA black plate

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by omgjon, May 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Does anyone have any knowledge about these plates? At CC back in january i saw a cayenne turbo with the black and yellow plates. I thought these were only for vintage cars in the 60's? My son wants to put it on his car, which is new. I figure another way is to just order one off the internet that has the same characters as his existing plate and transfer the registration stickers over. I have found a few websites that make replicas with any characters you want. I dont think an officer would care too much as long as the characters match the car, and in worst case would only give a fix-it ticket?

2. darkgray

darkgray Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Go to Calpl8s.com. You can get the history of California license plates and how to get a set, which car qualify for YOM (Year of Manufacture) plates.

3. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    To make room in my garage for my Ferrari, I recently sold a 1957 T-Bird.
    I had the original plates which were the color combo you just described. When I sold the car, the plates stayed with the car. You are right, they are pretty cool.
    They were the plates of the day, for all CA cars.

4. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    IIRC, the Cayenne of which you speak had custom-painted plates as well as funky custom calipers.

5. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I have seen a few people do this (although not with personalized plates). I too have been wondering what the ramifications would be of running a black plate with a current plate number on it (personalized in my case). I suspect that it likely be a fix it ticket.

Hopefully someone will chime in.

6. TEROSSA

TEROSSA Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Jon, if you could, let me know with your luck. My son would probably want one for his black 951.

7. Teutonic

Teutonic Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Irvine,CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Edwards
    #7 Teutonic, May 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 'newest' car you can legitimately put YOM plates on is 1962, and those would be the black letters on yellow background (1956 series). The black plates (1963 - 1968) cannot be used except on cars to which the were originally assigned.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    So I hear.....

You can order a set here...

http://www.licenseplates.tv/

ship it to an address outside of California (for the other 49 states, you can have them shipped to your house)

Get new stickers

Put on your car

9. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Matteo:

That's who I was thinking of ordering from (I've ordered other things from them). However, the question is what happens if the cops stop you?

Alberto

10. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Yeah that is the idea i had. Well i will let you guys know if my son ends up in jail :)

and frank, yes that is the turbo i saw, i loved the calipers.

11. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Dunno.

Plates are metal and are replica's make to original spec.

There is a collector in LA that made a photocopy of his license plate and laminated it and tapes it to his car when he takes it on the street. The Police don't give him a hard time.

12. jlm348

jlm348 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2002
    Scottsdale + LA
    Full Name:
    Jean-Louis
    I as well recently saw a new I think ti was an Infititi G35
    With a Black plate with yellow writting. IDOL was the license plate. It looked old school in style but the plate looked brand new in quality and age.
    I thought to myself that it was pretty cool as well.

13. rrobello

rrobello Formula 3

Jul 25, 2005
    the other day I saw an older lady driving an 05 stang with black plates w/ personalized lettering and it had reg stickers, tried to get her attention to ask her about them, but she didnt notice me and she turned

14. ajmarton

ajmarton Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I am planning to do the same thing. I have current plates that are personalized (MIO DINO). I ordered the same personalized plates in black and had it shipped to a buddy in IN who then shipped them to me. I just got the 2007 stickers so I plan to put them on and keep the real plates in the trunk. I don't mind paying for a fix it ticket. I figure odds are low for a ticket because I do not drive the Spyder that often. I am more worried about having it towed.

15. ajmarton

ajmarton Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles
    P.S. I saw that same TT with the IDOL plates on my way to downtown LA. It was black on black so the black plates were nice but obviously not appropriate for that year. I figure if he is taking the risk - I could with the less obvious mis-match as the Dino is vintage.

16. Guillermo

Guillermo Rookie

Aug 23, 2003
    Palos Verdes, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Bill
    The only special plates issued by the State of California back in the 1960's and before were issued to licensed amateur radio operators that held a current FCC license. The plates were issued with your FCC call letters only. You could transfer your plates to another car only if you still held an FCC amateur radio operators license with the same call letters. In those days California FCC radio licenses began with W6, WA6, WB6, or K6 as I recall. Many other states had similar policies that allowed their residents to apply for auto license plates with amateur radio operator call letters.

Bill

17. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Again, keep in mind the black plates were only offered from 63-69. If indeed you get a fix-it ticket, and have painted your regular plates, you're going to have to clean them or repaint them to make them comply.
    If you've put your proper stickers on a repro plate, you'll have to get (and pay for) new stickers, show them to the proper authorities to get out of your ticket.

Doesn't seem worth it, unless you only attach them for car shows....

Kraig