Renting in Italy | FerrariChat

Renting in Italy

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by I.T. Guy, Jun 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  2. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    I know nothing about this company and have never rented a Ferrari in Europe. However, I go to Europe at least once a year and have never been able to rent any decent car anywhere in Europe that didn't have strict restrictions against driving higher end cars into Italy and the eastern block counties. I'm talking about cars like Mercedes and BMW's, I'll assume Ferrari's would be even more restricted. I looked at the web site you provided and it appears to be a German based operation so I'll assume these rules will apply.

I know you said you're only interested in a few days rental ....... Here's a wild thought if you wanted to drive one for a longer period and have the means to structure the deal this way. Go the a dealer like Auto-salon in Singen, Germany. They have 100's of used Ferrari's for sale at any given time, and their prices for the most part are cheaper than in America. You could buy a Ferrari outright with the condition they either buy it back in a few weeks or agree to consign it for you at very close to the same price when you're finished with it. I doubt the car will take a price hit in the limited time you'll have it, and you'll only be out the difference between your purchase price and what you sell it for when you're done. The upside is you'll have unlimited use, you can drive the car anywhere you wish and for as long as you wish. Based on the rental prices you provided for a one week rental which appears to be in the $ 7,000 to $ 10,000 range .... worst case, you'll probably save a ton of money. There is VAT to consider, but I would assume you could buy a car for export so you don't pay this tax, and get temporary export plates for the few weeks you'll have it before selling it back to the dealer.

I've thought about doing this myself ....

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I have rented F cars numerous times,delivered from Germany on a trailer to Milan(sometimes to Malpensa ,other times to 4 Seasons).Prices were always reasonable vs other outfits.
    www.special-cars.de

4. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Those prices seem much more reasonable!

Thank you,

Jason

5. Serial_Thrilla

Oct 23, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I spent a few weeks in Italy quite recently.. and between florence, rome, sorento and sicily.. I saw ONE ferrari on the roads.. and it was a 348. Infact I saw more new Corvettes than new ferraris. We just hired an Alfa, hiring exotic cars overseas, especially if you're just a tourist is a bit of a hassel in my experience....plus if you're driving on streets you've never experienced before..

6. capecodder

capecodder Rookie

Oct 21, 2004
    Cape Cod, Ma.
    Full Name:
    Steve
  7. 72GMC

72GMC Karting

Aug 15, 2006
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Jason, any luck renting a Ferrari in Italy?

I'll be in Tuscany in April 2007.
    For the rental rates I'm seeing in these websites, I could put my 348 on a container.

I don't need a 430 or a 612. Heck, any old ferrari would do the trick.

8. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I know, so I passed. I'd rather rent a helicopter, stay in a suite, or buy a whole car then pay those prices. To each his own!

Jason