355 Spider Market Value | FerrariChat

355 Spider Market Value

Discussion in '348/355' started by jbratek, Jun 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbratek

jbratek Rookie

Apr 26, 2004
    Verona, NJ
    What is the current market value range for '96-'99 355 Spiders (6-sp manual)? And what are the definitive sources of these indexes (Cavallino magazine, etc)?

2. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    my guess is $75K-100K, depending of course on a multitude of factors (condition, service history, miles......)

john

3. 1badboy

1badboy Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Rayl
    There's no "definitive source" for market price for 355s- there are way too many variables- even if you asked about 1 year and one color combination. 355s can have a lot of issues- you need a well documented (serviced) one and extremely low mileage might not be the right decision either. Buy the wrong car, and you can easily add $10k - $20k to keep her running, within weeks of purchase.

You need to do a lot of searching in this forum and the Technical Forum for 355 stuff - sticky switches, roof problems, bubbling consoles, shrinking dashes, valve guides, catalytic convertors (cats), cracked headers, etc.

Best of luck- start researching the issues so you know what to look for when you find a car- and of course, a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) by 3rd party goes w/o saying- about $500 but well worth it.

Best of luck in your search- they are great cars if you find the right one.

Eric

4. jbratek

jbratek Rookie

Apr 26, 2004
    Verona, NJ
    "355s can have a lot of issues"

Do 360s have fewer issues?

How do I find a reputable PPI inspector in the NJ area?

5. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K

Yup.
    Try posting your PPI recommendation here :http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

You should easily purchase a Well Sorted '99 355 Manual Spider for under $100K.

6. 1badboy

1badboy Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Rayl
    In general, 360s have less issues, especially the F-1 tranny is 2nd generation and cheaper to fix (IMO good choice looking for manual 355- I did a LOT of research before buying mine).

BUT a 360 spider is not near the price range you mentioned. And there are plenty of "sorted out" 355 spiders out there on the market- just keep reading and searching the various forums on f-chat (technical, 355s, your geographical location).

I'm considering selling my 355 spider- '97 manual 23K miles red/tan all records/up to date, tubi, $10K stereo, etc. PM me if you want more details if only for comparison purposes.

Eric

7. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, that's true. If you want a very low mileage car, however, plan on spending a little more for the car. Colors also matter. For example, the classic red/tan always sells well. That's why they call it "re-sale red"!

FWIW, I think 355 Spiders are really a bargain right now when you compare them to 360 Spiders and other higher priced cars on the market. A 355 Spider is a stunning car; and in my opinion, better looking than a 360 Spider.

8. BOBAER

BOBAER Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2006
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jon
    jbratek

I am in NJ as well and have been using Steve from Classic Coach Works located in Bernadsiville off of rt 287. I don't know where you are but give him a call if you want a ppi his number is 973-425-0700.

Tell him Jon Baer sent you.

9. JoelP

JoelP Rookie

Jan 1, 2005
    chicago
  10. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    That's what I used to think & say too.....

But once you get your 360 spider, it grows on you. Suddenly the 355 has a bland wedge front-end and isn't quite the same thing anymore. DON'T get me wrong, I loved and miss my 355.....it's an awesome car and I highly recommend it. Even if you can afford the 360 to start, I'd recommend running with the 355 as your first car and then moving on. It's a great experience and it only makes sense; 355's can't come down much more and once they start bringing the 430's in and the huge lack-of-supply surcharge over invoice falls...so too will the 360's start falling.

Yeah, do the 355 and take the time to find a clean one with no issues: if you're patient and you buy it right, you can sell it for almost what you paid.....or maybe more if you choose your seasons right :)

One big tip/clue: buy your car from the owner....a middleman is usually a smoker to hide issues and anyone with a clean car (who is proud) will want to see their car off to the right guy and not dump it cheap to scalpers!

You'll know when you found the right car....you'll want it and you won't waste time low-balling, grinding and haggling.

11. tstafford

tstafford Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Agreed with Steve on all points.

12. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not necessarily. I've owned two 360 Spiders. And I've owned two 355 Spiders. I like them both.

But I still think and say the same thing. The wedge shape is not "bland", it's classic. The 355 is a better looking car, in MY opinion. The 355 is also more fun to drive and sounds better (stock vs. stock exhaust). Again, MY opinion.

To each his own, of course. :)

13. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Steve said "But once you get your 360 spider, it grows on you."

Lou Menditto (ferrarilou) has the same opinion, and I value his highly...

I like the 355 better, but I haven't owned either, just done service on each...

-Peter (love my Mondial t Coupe)

14. atan808

atan808 Karting

Oct 26, 2005
    bay area
    Full Name:
    alvin
    i have one tastefully modded spider with capristo exhaust brembo bbk (ferrari logo) 19 hre wheels 30k serviced 12miles challenge grille and more that im thinking of selling. pm me ill send you pics

15. jbratek

jbratek Rookie

Apr 26, 2004
    Verona, NJ
    Are 355 Spiders more "sorted out" than 348 Spiders?

16. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.

I have had no troubles with my 355 Spider ('99)