NJ Speeding Crackdown | FerrariChat

NJ Speeding Crackdown

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by 993 guy, Jun 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Just got this note...

A Tip from a Jersey Trooper

NJ is starting up a 30 day speeding ticket rally. From what I hear,

every trooper assigned to this has to hand out 1 ticket every 10 to 20

minutes. They will be focusing in around this area so watch out.

Here's what a New Jersey State trooper sent:

Starting today, New Jersey will launch a 30 day speeding ticket

frenzy. The state estimates that 9 million dollars will be generated in

speeding tickets. 1 million will go to pay state troopers' overtime.

There will 50 state troopers on duty at all times patrolling the 9 main

intersections and highways. They are the following:

I-295 north and south

1-95 (Jersey Turnpike) north and south

1-80 east and west

I-287 north and south

I-78 east and west

1-195 east and west

1-280 east and west

Rt. 130 north and south

Garden State Parkway north and south

I'm warning everyone now that 5 mph above the limit can justify a

ticket and every state trooper is supposed to pull a car over and write

a ticket every 10 to 20 minutes. They have issued 30 brand new unmarked

Crown Victoria cruisers and are bringing in all of their part timers on

full time. If you work in NJ, NY, DE or CT you will probably take one of

these highways. It's up to you how fast you are going when they clock

you.

101.5 FM confirmed all of this. So be safe and don't forget speeding

tickets are on you. You've been warned."

Then the same friend, emailed me the following:

Driving Ticket fine increase in NJ:

Starting on August 15th, the price of a ticket for violation of NJ

Law39:3-29 (failure to show your driver's license, registration, or

insurance card at the time you are stopped) is going from $44.00 to

$173.00. Please make sure your vehicles have the proper documents in

them. If you jump in the car to run to the store and forget your wallet

with your license in it and you are stopped.... Oh well... you just

spent $173. And the fine for not having all three documents is $519!!!

Forward to people in NJ, and let them know of this change. And be

careful, the fine for hand held cell phone use while driving will be

going up to $180.00.

2. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
  3. Arrwin

Arrwin Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Midtown NY
    Full Name:
    Arrwin
    Becareful this weekend fellas.

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    This is no joke, gang. I heard this two weeks ago that this was coming. Memorial Day weekend, they rolled out a version of this and were on a ticket blitz. The state government is hurting for money, and this is one of the ways they are going to raise it. The NJSP used to give an unofficial 8 mph leeway on speeding. Now, under this new blitz, they will pull you over for as little as 4 mph over the limit. And as I understand it, they have been ordered NOT to honor PBA cards or other credentials to let folks off easy, nor to negotiate down any tickets when they go to court.

Be careful out there, folks. Be very careful.

5. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Exactly... :(

6. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    this is actually fake. This has shown up before on here. The name of the town or state just changes.

7. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Don't know if any of you are familiar with "Snopes", but after the crackdown message freaked me out and made me nearly pull out of the run this Sunday, I checked it out and found this is in fact -- or has been at some point -- just an urban legend. See this link:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/speeding.asp

That said, I STILL think driving in NJ is frankly a pain in the ass, which is a shame because of the many beautiful roads and the several nice Fchat folks who I've been out there with, with whom it's quite fun to drive. I'm still going on the run, but with extreme caution...

8. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    There have been many fake "scares" about ticket blitzes, but this one does actually appear to be real. I drive on Rt. 80, 280, 287 and 78 a lot, as well as the Parkway, and over the past two weeks I have seen a major step-up in traffic enforcement, with more cops and more unmarked cars than I've seen in years. And the source that told me this was happening is a high level politico in the state. Some of the details like writing tickets every 10 minutes may be an exaggeration, but there is no question that the Troopers are more agressively enforcing speed recently. So, you go ahead and think it's a fake story. Just don't come *****'n here when you get pulled over in NJ.

9. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    I would never complain about getting a ticket. I would suck it up and pay the fine. I would also never drive in Jersey.

10. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    thanks for the heads up. BTW I don't think it's illegal in NJ to be on the cell phone while driving so how can theyfine you? I thought only NYC had that rule?

11. niptuck

niptuck F1 Rookie

Mar 1, 2006
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    John L.
    any tickets for looking good?

12. gonnagetone

gonnagetone Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    dc metro area.
    Full Name:
    venky
    i came up for the GDC run
    I came on 295 and nj turnpike.. there was a copper every 20 miles no joke..

good thing the majority of the run was in NY :)
    (didn help i still get a ticket :) heheh)

13. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Hard to pinpoint the cause (revenue initiative, springtime, etc.), but I've definitely noticed a lot more of the fuzz on the parkway and turnpike since Memorial Day.

Running down to Englishtown this Sunday it seemed that most of the increases were in Bergen Co. South of exit 16 on the turnpike seemed lightly patrolled.

14. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I've heard the story before as well, but it does seem like what people have seen recently that there is an increased step-up in enforcement. Not to mention that the crew last weekend got tagged en masse in NJ.

I'd be wary about putting the pedal to the medal this weekend. At least in Jersey.

15. Arrwin

Arrwin Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Midtown NY
    Full Name:
    Arrwin
    For NYC'ers, it's probably better (if there is such a thing) to get tagged in NJ tather than in NY, as the pts. do not transfer over, so only a fine is involved. Obviously, it's best to not get into the situation at all.

16. niptuck

niptuck F1 Rookie

Mar 1, 2006
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    John L.
    i can see it now..great pics of 15 hot exotics...bunch of cop cars and a helicopter...this sunday...lol...maybe we'll get lucky enough to get on the news!!! lol....jk, hope not.

17. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Is this true? I mean, really true?

18. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Arrwin is correct, points do not transfer.

19. Sharif

Sharif Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Sharif
    yeah, exactly. and remember even if they don't get you on radar or laser they can "pace" you and make up whatever number they please, even if you're not speeding.

they're definately out to make some money in NJ

20. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Being an NYCer who got a ticket in Jersey recently, I have been trying to figure this out. I've heard completely opposite things from various people about the points transferring. I recently spoke to an NJ lawyer who told me that, in fact, they do transfer, though usually not all the points do (e.g. 5 points in NJ may end up being 2-3 in NY). Of course, that lawyer wanted me to hire them to help with my ticket (which I have not done yet), so its possible this is somewhat biased. Still, my bet is that they do transfer. It's hard to believe something like that wouldn't between NY and NJ.... If someone has more direct proof that they don't transfer, I'd LOVE to be proven wrong here. (Ghost? You seem pretty sure about this..., maybe you know something we don't?)

21. niptuck

niptuck F1 Rookie

Mar 1, 2006
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Posted from NYSDMV FAQs:

"If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?
    The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

If you do not respond to a ticket or fail to pay a fine for a moving violation that you committed in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, the DMV suspends your NYS driver license until you respond to the ticket or pay the fine. If a driver from a state except these six states fails to respond to a traffic ticket issued in NYS, their driver license will be suspended until the driver responds to the traffic ticket in NYS.

Drivers from other states must contact the DMV in their home state to get information about the effect of a traffic violation conviction that occurs in NYS.

If you receive a conviction for an alcohol-related or drug-related driving violation in any state, your NYS driver license is revoked for at least six months. "

Site is: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmvfaqs.htm#tickets

22. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    John, thanks, this is great. I stand happily corrected. Oddly, I never bothered to check the DMV site!! Do note one thing I did find lower down on that site (which backs up what someone else told me):

"Note: Insurance companies have point systems different from the DMV driver violation point system. The two point systems have no connection. Contact your insurance company about their point system."

MEANING, while you may not get points on your drivers license in this case, it's not necessarily true that, if your insurance company finds out about the out-of-state violation, you can't have your premium raised.... (They don't always find out but, in my opinion, still better not to get points out of state if possible, obviously...)

See you Sunday!

23. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C

Yeah.. but none of us applyl!

24. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Hey speak for yourself buddy, I'm hot.

(If by hot you mean short and hairy -- Kind of like your Avatar!)

25. niptuck

niptuck F1 Rookie

Mar 1, 2006
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    John L.
    i meant for having sexxy cars :) ....that turn people's heads away from the road