magnum pi movie,which car ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

magnum pi movie,which car ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by river rat, Jun 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    When the series started, maybe. Then he got old.

2. MaranelloTX

MaranelloTX Karting

Apr 20, 2006
    United States
    Full Name:
    Tony G.
    I would love a Magnum P.I. movie, I'm a big Magnum P.I. fan, and it doesn't matter which Ferrari thet use in the movie, unless is a Ferrari, But I would go for the Superamerica, I was introduced to Ferrari by Magnum P.I.

Thanks

3. sharp108

sharp108 Rookie

Oct 25, 2005
    puyallap
    i think if they did a movie it would have to be a 360 or 430. just my opinion. how many Magnum P.I series were there?

4. MaranelloTX

MaranelloTX Karting

Apr 20, 2006
    United States
    Full Name:
    Tony G.
    8 Seasons, I have the first 5, still waiting on the other 3, what do all of you think about a Superamerica as a choice for the movie? That would be the best pick I think.

5. Grigio 308

Grigio 308 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin Fielden
    The only way they could do justice to the original series is to do a two-hour "movie" as a network production. Selleck seemed to indicate he would be interested if they told the story in present day - sort of a "where is he now" formula.

I hope they NEVER consider doing a big-screen "remake" like Miami Vice. There was simply an intangible "magic" that made the show what it was. There is no one who could play that role in place of Selleck (actually the same goes for Hillerman, Mosely and Manetti).

Here's how I would like to have them solve the "Ferrari question" - Magnum returns to the island after many years because T.C. or Rick are in need of his help - Higgins has always kept/maintained the original 308 at the estate (possibly for sentimental reasons). When he visits Robin's Nest, Higgins let's him take the car which he drives for the length of the movie.

Now he's driving a "classic" 308 and the original magic is kept in tact.
    Plus, it would just seem weird with him in any other model.

Anyway, that's my take on it...

6. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Not going to see a movie made as a continuation of a series so long ago. The way they do these things now (take your pick of examples!) is take the general concept & characters from an old 80's favorite and write a completely new script for it from scratch. That's what we'll see. How many of these things even contain any references to the original series?

I can't find it online now, but today the guest house has fallen into disrepair as it's an abandoned building on the estate used in the show. It can be seen from the beach and there are some pictures on the net that show it's condition. Magnum wouldn't want to go back, it's like the end of Full Metal Jacket.

7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I wrote the movie screen play for the Magnum movie nearly 3 years ago.

As I posted back on the old board on 9/26/03 at 9:41 pm: http://70.85.40.84/~ferrari/discus/messages/251280/321085.html

Robin Masters lost it all in the dotcom crashes, Enron and Worldcom debacles, and total downturn in the economy. He flys Magnum back to Hawaii to try and track down the dotcom and stock market scammers that lost his fortune. Knowing full well that none of the scammers are actually IN Hawaii, Magnum seizes the opportunity for a few months of armchair (armrest) money while driving the old 308 around Honolulu looking for the non-existant crooks. Masters is getting on up in years, and isn't really too sharp these days, so Magnum figures he can milk the whole thing for some easy greenbacks to line his own bank account. Unfortunately, when Magnum fires up the dusty 308 in Master's garage for the first time in years, the timing belts "give up the ghost" and throw a rod through the block faster that a tourist can return a black lava rock back to the beach where he stole it! (Hawaiian bad luck fable).

Masters can't afford the repair bill, so he's forced to substitute a used VW bug for the 308. Magnum tries to make the best of it, but overrevs the 1600cc 4 banger the first time he tries to peel out on the grassy roadside. Stuttgart's finest machinery grenades itself and showers a nearby pineapple field with aluminum shrapnel and 30 weight. The Hawaii Five-O call out a hazmat team to clean up the mess, and send the bill to an already financially taxed Robin Masters, who can't even pay Magnum for his one day on the job. Masters files for bankruptcy, and loses his only remaining flowered Hawaiian shirt to Magnum. Magnum calls it a day, throws in the towel, and hops a plane back to L.A. where he attempts to track down the REAL killer of OJ's wife.

8. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Magnum's got to drive a new Ferrari (SuperAmerica/599) because he's in Hawaii infiltrating a high-roller Phillipino mob group of fast-n-furious Players who may be hiding a key global terrorist...and unless you've got Italian bling doing donuts on Wai Ki Ki Beach, you can't get near this mob of uber-Dollar ricers who routinely helicopter to their offshore yacht/sanctuary (enter TC flying and Higgins as the on-board Butler).

The Phillipino Players located some of the lost Japanese WW2 gold, and have discovered that Magnum's flashbacks to Vietnam are key to finding the rest...

...But Magnum's secret as being the rich guy instead of working for one is at stake here, as the lost gold was how he got rich from his Vietnam War days during his furlow to Manilla...

So will Magnum bring down the Phillipino uber-terrorist even though it would reveal his own "war crimes" of stealing the Japanese gold (illegal for U.S. enlistees to do at the time)?!

...Complicating all of the above is the fact that the two key suspects are gorgeous Asian women...

9. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Rob should buy it as the FChat headquarters.

http://www.shanghaidiaries.com/gallery/hawaii/hawaii187

10. robin's308

robin's308 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    i think it would only make sense to make a modern day magnum.... i think they should use these cars....

Robin-1: red/tan f430 spider
    Robin-2: Silver Audi A8
    Robin-3: Brown Chevrolet Tahoe

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    So should they finally go with the Higgins is Robin Masters too?

They may have thought that was a cute way to end the series but it was definitely NOT the way they meant it at the start of the series. Pull out the DVDs and replay "Italian Ice" and you'll see Robin anf Higgins are two different folks. And that is just one example

12. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Robin Masters should turn out to be a code phrase...as in they were robin' the Master cache of stolen gold...

13. Sportscarnut

Sportscarnut Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Well, the article I read said George Clooney has wanted to do this role ever since he was a kid. The word I got was he'll star in and partly finance the movie, and it will feature a Ferrari Enzo :)

14. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Maranello

15. Snapper323

Snapper323 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2005
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    L. Lee
    I have heard the George Clooney part of this too!

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Clooney with a mustache...

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't know... Clooney's too smooth. Selleck had that kind of permanent adolscent quality about him.

I can't see Clooney pulling a rubber chicken out of the sofa, or bring constantly broke.

18. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave

Where did you get season 5? It's not supposed to be out until late this year?

19. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Yeah, I've only got the first 4 seasons.

Again, I'd love to see this thing happen, but really doubt it will.

20. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    I hate remakes. I cannot think of one that was better than the original. I would be up for a made for TV movie with the original cast.

They did made for tv movies with the dukes of hazzard and still made a movie, I think they should do the same here.

21. Argonaut

Argonaut Rookie

Nov 27, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I do like Clooney, but as Magnum? No way. He has too much class and poise to be Magnum. Magnum either needs to drive the old 308 or the 430 spyder. If it takes place in the present than the 430 for sure. Red/tan naturally, and a 6speed.

22. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Clooney has "class and poise?!" Oh please. He played Batman gay. Ruined the role for his own PC gratification. Classless.

23. MaranelloTX

MaranelloTX Karting

Apr 20, 2006
    United States
    Full Name:
    Tony G.
    Oh its out! I bought it in this place that sells memorabillia from the 80's pretty cool place, the fifth season is a hard-to-find object, but is out there.

24. MaranelloTX

MaranelloTX Karting

Apr 20, 2006
    United States
    Full Name:
    Tony G.
    Im a big Magnum P.I. fan! would love to see the movie, and I dont care what Ferrari they use as long as they use a Ferrari, now the Ferrari in the Tv series was the star, besides Tom Selleck(Thomas Magnum), the Ferrari gave the show that spirit,and taste that makes up Magnum P.I. like I said on earlier posts I was introduced to Ferrari by Magnum P.I. and I bet that every fan at the time when Magnum P.I came out wanted a Ferrari, and I bet that now many want a 308 GTSi QV.

Thanks, got a little too excited.

25. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Agreed...All of the remakes I've seen lately sucked; Miami Vice, Starsky & Hutch, Dukes, etc....

I do like the idea though, of the old 308, having been well kept/preserved being offered to Magnum to use as his ride of choice. Perhaps Higgins first offers up an F430 but then gives Magnum the "door #2" option.....

Ultimately, Magnum would have to use the 430 though because Higgins forgot to put the trickle charger on the 308!

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi