355 tubi | FerrariChat

355 tubi

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robin's308, Feb 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robin's308

robin's308 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    hello everyone, i am wondering if a tubi will help out the performance of my 355. I have heard the intoxicating sound and i am considering getting one, is this a highly recommended mod?

2. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Tubis are very popular on the 355. I personally prefer the Capristo exhaust on my 97 355 spider with test pipes and bypass valves wired open! It is pretty loud but sounds unbelievable. Like a true F1 car at higher rpms! I have scared the living crap out of people walking down the street when I passed them...
    gordon

3. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    I have Tubi on my 95 F355b and love it!

4. 1badboy

1badboy Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Rayl
    Personally, I like tubi's best on 355s but the performance gain is not noticable. I've seen reports of 20 hp gains and I've seen reports of slight loss (maybe my a competitor "shrill")?

But you'll feel like your going faster as you scream towards the redline :)

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

HP gains can be found in the cats, noise gains are in the muffler.

6. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I consider a Tubi as mandatory equipment for a F355. Especially the Spiders.

When you own a F355 you've bought for the look and the sound. Not having a Tubi gives up 1/2 of the experience IMVHO.

7. robin's308

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    Where can you buy a system? is it hard to install

8. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Before buying/installing a tubi, one should always consider what you use the car for. If it is a fun toy, then a tubi is great. If you drive the car very frequently as a daily driver, or expect to hold a conversation with a loved one, then a tubi might not be the best idea.

I have a tubi, and when the car was a "frequent flyer" I hated the tubi. Now that I use another car as a daily driver, I appreciate the tubi a lot more.

Just food for thought....

Dave

9. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    Agree with that had a Tubi on my 355 sounded great no real difference added the HP Cats and Gruppe M air intake that makes a difference to throttle response but the claimed HP improvement I dont think can be felt IMO

10. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    Love my TUBI on my 96 355B..Wouldn't leave home without it!!!

11. Hutch360

Hutch360 Karting

Jan 29, 2006
    Shell Beach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Steven Hutcherson
    On deciding which aftermarket exhaust to put on a 360 coupe is one better than the other or more pros than cons (tubi, capristo, strebo)? Also, what about changing out the cat. converter to high flow?thanks, steven

12. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    #12 ferrariKP, Feb 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I also have the same formula on mine. They are Tubi exhaust+ Gruppe M Intake system + then just installed Race Pipes instead of stock Cat.

Sweeter, Louder sound and a little gain on torque she got!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 1badboy

1badboy Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Rayl
    As soon as you talk 360 (instead of 355), it seems like the majority choice is Capristo. There's a ton of threads on this- but the sound of 355 and 360 are different in Tubi's. Of course it's all personal preference and what other "goodies" you have in the mix.

Just a "heads up"... you need a 360-specific thread

Eric

14. robin's308

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    Bringing back a old thread.... I was planning on getting tubis, test pipes, Naperformance exhaust manifolds for my car...anyone do mods that are similar to what i am talking about? this must make the car perfomr better and sound great...

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Instead of test pipes, put on a set of Hyper Flow cats. This way you get the best of both worlds. You get the performace and sound while still keeping the air clean. ;)

16. robin's308

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    that sounds good...the car will probably wake up the neighbors at night after my exhaust mods...:)

17. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I had the Tubi on mine and for a sunday blast its great

Then I started to use the car more- its not so exciting then!

really dreadful BOOMING at between 3/4 K in the cabin that made the drive very unpleasant.

So if you do more than a few miles get something else!

18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I installed a tubi on my 97 355 and loved it. The sound through our local tunnel was just like an F1 car. I installed TSI air cleaners (i.e. K&N) also. I did not have cats, but after the installation, it seemed like the car did rev a bit more quickly and I had less time between shifts. I believe Tubi mentioned 15 or so HP at the time I purchased. One thing for sure, the stock 355 muffler is a beast and has no business on a ferrari.

The Tubi on the 355 is also quite a bit lighter. I don't recall the exact figures, but I think it was on the order of 20 or 25 lbs.

Ray

19. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    Agree do the Tubi and the Hyperflow cats and you will find throttle response improves dont think any noticable HP gain.

20. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    SHOCKED!!!! Do people still buy Tubis for 355s LOL!!!:D:D

21. robin's308

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    has anyone done the race tubis, test pipes/hyperflows and Naperformance ss exhaust manifolds yet? someone here must have... That must be a really awesome, aftermarket manifolds will improve sound and performance right?

22. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #22 RossoCorsaItaly, Jun 13, 2006
    The sound doesn't change much with aftermarket manifolds but the power does.

Here's a dynograph from Lusso64's car.

There's a few people on the forums that have the full setup. Talk to Gordon on here, I know he has the exhaust and manifolds and I'm almost positive he has cats or pipes but I may be wrong.

Red line is without the manifolds blue line is with.

23. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    #23 chaa, Jun 13, 2006
    Seems like the NA performance manifolds add on what a Hamann chip would;). Here is a dyno sheet that i had done last month with standard manifolds and straight pipes and level one Capristo. Also with Hamonn chip that adds a little but re-maps the fueling. So the NA manifolds look good if ya consider that a standard 355 is around 315ish,whp. Would be good to add the chip to the above car set up or add he NA manifolds to my set up to see what increase there would be.

24. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    If your talking hp per dollar and not just improving the sound, is the ECU swap/reflash the ticket on 355's? I recall reading threads about it and also remember the guy in EVO (Brit Car mag) who had one long term saying its night and day. Just my two centavos!!

25. leang86

leang86 F1 Rookie

Jun 12, 2005
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Leang

Not sure which company you are refering to, but there is a company in the EVO magazine called DMS automotive in the UK.

They are ECU tuners and my 355 ECU has been remapped by them.