Mini Cooper S road trip review | FerrariChat

Mini Cooper S road trip review

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Tyler, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    As many of you know I got my mother a Mini Cooper S many months ago. This car rarely gets driven more than 20 miles a week so I thought it was time to stretch it's legs a little.

I decided to take it on a quick multi-state jaunt to spend some time with the car and find out how livable the car is.

First things first. I HATE the runflat tires the cars come with. They ride hard and IMO transmit the "road feel" I don't want and mute the responses I am looking for. So, a new set of tires was in order. I went with Bridgestone Potenza SO-3 tires. I can't say enough good things about these tires. I've used them on other cars and I love them!

The Mini drives great. It is comfortable on the highway and is firm but not harsh in the way it rides. The handling on the Mini is wonderful. Some of my most enjoyable times were on twisty back roads. You can push this car to the limit and it is very forgiving.

The build quality of the car is much better than I expected. Considering these are not expensive cars I was thinking it would feel cheap. Not really. There is more plastic than I would like but it feels quality. The interior is well laid out and I had plenty of room(FYI:I'm 6-1 and 210). Only complaint was lack of a decent sized cupholder.

I have driven cars that got more reactions from people but I have never driven a car that got more positive reactions than this car.

After spending the weekend with this little car I really don't understand why someone would buy anything else in it's price range. It's certainly one of the most entertaining cars I have ever driven and frankly it's more fun to drive than many exotics I've driven(donning flame suit).

The most expensive part of the trip was the realization that I simply have to have one of these for my stable.:)

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I got one for my wife (S version) and I agree with everything you said. First thing I did too is change wheels and tires, to OZ Superleggera wheels and Potenza's. The runflats feel like driving in mud. A fantastic car for the money.
    You can even induce trailing-throttle oversteer like a rear driver...a real kick.

3. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    If you are serious, and don't mind a used one, PM me. I am selling my 2004 MINI Cooper S.

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    why u selling it? and trail throttle oversteer? I own one, the only way I have been able to induce it is to lift throttle hard in a corner...do tell!

5. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah its a great car. I have owned a 2003 Mini Cooper S since last january (2003). I have put about 3800 miles on 11 months and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree the handling is great. I went with some Hamann wheels and yoko es 100 215/45/17 tires.

boston--germane is selling his because he got a m3 i believe and his black mcs was prone to lots of trouble, if i remember correctly.

6. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    We've had our MCS for 1 yr now and 9500 miles... no problems to this point. It's a great drive around town but I would not want to take it on a long trip (for obvious reasons - which is just fine).

There's actually quite a few F-Chatters who own MCS's. I can't think of another car which provides more bang for the buck... and I read recently that MINI's have one of the highest resale values. It's still a hit in our family.

7. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    maybe cuz fchatters value good handling, and I must say, superb utility! Its a mini-suv!!!

8. Ekasilicon

Jan 21, 2003
    I am selling mine because I just got an M3, but my MCS was not prone to a lot of problems. The head airbags went off when I bumped into a curb. I was going around a round about and there was black ice on it, I slid out and hit the curb. I wasn't going too fast, under 10 mph. MINI looked into it and replaced the airbags because there was a consensus that the airbags should not have gone off. There was no damage to the car, but the airbags deployed. Anyway, the MCS was not as much fun as I had hoped, so I am selling it.

9. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Germane

My apologies, and good luck with the sale. :)

10. Ekasilicon

Jan 21, 2003
    No problem, thanks.

11. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's it, and it helps to be coming down a winding mountain road. I like the 36,000 mile maintenance plan thats included also. The dealer just replaced all four rotors and pads at 14,000 miles. It's a good thing my wife drives it most of the time.

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Quick question regarding warranty. I know the 10K and 25K services are covered and such, but what if your car doesn't reach 10K while the warranty is there. Does that mean you dont get the free service?

I mean is there a limit like 10K or 1 year whichever comes first for the free service?

The reason I ask is my car is 11 months old wtih about 3800 miles (yes i have done my own oil changes and tire rotations) but I would like to get the 10K service.