275 GTB Nose JOB | FerrariChat

275 GTB Nose JOB

Discussion in 'Report Bugs & Ask Questions' started by Vintage V12, May 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #1 Vintage V12, May 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The story begins when my 275GTB had many bad oil leaks caused by band aid repairs done by previous owners over the last 40 years. I then decided to go ahead a do a total mechanical restoration and make the engine bay and underside as perfect as possible. To show you what a can of worms these cars can be, while the parts were removed we discovered the frame damage to the front. I thought great lets just fix that, stay away from the yellow paint and move on. I wanted to have a new grill made, so we ordered one from italy. After looking at the nose a bit further we discovered it was in some kind of accident, like it had gone over something. We then ordered a new nose piece from italy in addition to a new grille. The parts just came in. The new nose and grille from italy were made on the same buck as the car was made on when it was new. Let this be a lesson to anyone who wants to buy an old Ferrari and fix it up. The process of restoration is very enjoyable, but you need to be ready for surprises. I never thought an oil leak could turn into this.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I know exactly what you are saying. I started 4 1/2 years ago on fixing oil leaks and now am just about done going through the whole car. Once the engine came out "just to be able to get at everything easier" it was all downhill. I am glad I did it and it is amazing to find how many band aid repairs and patching have been done to these cars over the years. At least you know exactly what you have when you are done.

3. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Yep. A big car payment. I do really love the car. Funny how a nose job on a human being is actually less money......

4. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #4 Vintage V12, May 26, 2006
  5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The current front nose looks like it has many hammer marks, so I'm unsure where you're headed. Please forgive the question but did you buy the new nose clip as a model or template for the bodyman?
    or are you going to cutout and weld in the new piece?

I'd think someone would have the skill to sculpt the metal back to its correct shape.

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    this is probably a ignorant request. but if for some reason you are throwing away the old nose... i would gladly send some cash your way to buy it.......

i am serious!

Michael

7. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #7 Vintage V12, Jun 14, 2006
  8. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #8 Vintage V12, Jun 14, 2006
  9. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    I'm curious too, was it an option to hammer it out, or was it more cost effective to get to your desired endpoint by welding in the new piece? I'd like to have Brian straighten out the nose on my 4HL 330, so I'm curious what your decision process was. I'll bet they burned the 4HL buck years ago!

Are you having Pat do the mechanicals?

Cheers, JB

ps some bent tubes: http://www.jb330gt.com/beginning/fronttubesbig.jpg

10. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Pat did all the mechanicals. The new nose and grille were made at Brandolis shop in italy. It made sense to have them make it because they have the original buck. You can see it on their web site. With the pieces made by them, there is no question that it is correct. It only took six weeks to make them up and they look great.

11. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    You should have a perfect car once it's done then. I'd like my car to be perfect when its done too, but am trying to do as much of the dirtywork myself (ie scraping undercoat), to save some $$$.

It is interesting to me that there seems to be no undercoating on your car. Do you know if this is typical for 275s, as they are more sporting?

12. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    After all the mechanicals came off the car I brought the car back to my house where I spent 3 months scrapping all the undercoating from the underside,wheelwells and engine bay. It was not a fun job, however it was a great way to learn about the car. About a gallon of jasco, putty knifes,steel brushes, goggles,chemo gloves,fans blowing, and lots of time on your back. As for the repairs on your car, I am sure they can fix them. They can do amazing things.

13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Matt,

Does the whole car need to be painted after the metal work is finished or will they be able to match the front to the rest?

Your car will be just right when you're done. Looks great. Keep it up!

john

14. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Ahh Fantastico! I'm on the right track then. Excellent. Thanks.

On 7537, the undercoating is thick and even where applied, a little surface rust where it was missed. Actually, I'm encouraged there isn't more rust, really, but I'm not done yet.

How did you get your undercoating off - Jasco, elbow grease, something else? Propane is doing the job for me today, but it's perhaps not appropriate on the outer panels.

ttfn,JB

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Having done lots of bodywork restoration in my time, including plenty of hammer and dolly work and attempts at shrinking metal and reworking panels, I can tell you that letting in a new body section like that nose panel is FAR FAR easier and will usually result in a better overall repair.

There are master metal workers out there who could bang out such a panel and shrink the metal and ultimately arrive at a useable panel, but it would have its fair share of filler (as they did from the factory). It would also take MUCH time and effort that equals expense and such skilled metal workers are very rare. I would much prefer to weld in a new panel such as has been done here. Far easier to get it perfect, much faster and when done you have a stronger and probably longer lasting repair.

Great looking car! I am well versed in the "Well, as long as I am here perhaps we should also tackle the......." disease. Once I start taking a car apart at all, its very hard to stop.

Terry

16. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #16 Vintage V12, Jun 15, 2006
    John: Does the car need all new paint? Good question. If I had all the money in the world I would strip all the paint and interior and do everything. For most people the paint is excellent. But for crazy people(like myself), who want a perfect car, it looks like crap. I need to make the paint decision later, after the nose gets put back on. It all boils down to money. At this point I think the front will be feathered in . My original goal for this project was a complete nut and bolt mechanical restoration, and to make the underside and engine bay perfect, then do the paint and interior after I have enjoyed the car for a while. It seems so nice to be able to drive around and not worry about rock chips for a while. As for the new nose and grille, I am sure the shop could have made them however when you can get one from the same craftsman in italy who made them when the car was new, why? After visiting the workshop of the Brandoli family I can see that they are the 275gtb people. They can make anything for that car. This a photo of the new nose from them made on the 275gtb metal buck. No question that it is factory correct.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login