599 V Murcielago LP 640 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

599 V Murcielago LP 640

Discussion in '612/599' started by WILLIAM H, Jun 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zoka

zoka Karting

Feb 5, 2006
    Bosnia BiH
    Full Name:
    Zoran Matkic
    i would take 599 it is ferrari guys the best car in whole world!!

2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well I think it very much depends on circumstances in which the car is going to be used and of course preference, while the Lambo is awesome and a huge crowd puller I do feel that for motoring in a variety of environments it could get a bit tiring, the limited visibilty and the general size of the the thing.

For me the 599 is a more versatile supercar and on that basis I would probably choose it because of this versitality, couldnt imagine driving the Lambo long distances, also I think on the track the high weight of the Murcie may be an issue...

Again thought personal preference....

3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Look at all the L guys with their opinions. LOL

I think the seats rock. 550 is a better looking car than the new 599, as the early Murcielago is better looking than the newer design.

4. scuderiaferrari_marlboro

Dec 14, 2005
    Full Name:
    cl
    You ask a question like that on a ferrari forum, i think you will find an overwelming response for the prancing horse. On a personal level though i would have neither, i have great respect for both cars but the lp640 looks like a rice'd up murcie, as for the 599, im not a the biggest fan of new ferrari's. Think about this, how do you think you will feel in 5-10-20 years time? Do you think you will see this car like a 246 dino? or 250? Am I the only one who feels as though the tradition is gone?

sorry for the long post just my 2 cents

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Probably not but its a great question

Its definately changed a lot, Back in Enzo's day he courted Kings, Princes, Presidents & Captains of Industry

Today the market is very different with clueless yuppies buying Ferraris to impress the neighbors

Of course there is still that solid hardcore of Tifosi like us but things have definately changed a lot

I think the tradition is still there bcus the Italians and us are all still very passionate about Ferraris

but today its all about marketing to the masses, witness the explosion of Ferrari wear

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Joe

In the metal the 599 looks very different from photos and IMO much better.
    The car is as fast as an F40 can be used every day and the M is a design that's been around for a long time and is getting a tad old. The exhaust on the new one looks like a distended anus. The top on the roadster is a joke.

Another problem is that the M is too heavy and it's chassis doesn't lend it's self to racing as today's race at Le Mans is showing where it's last in class behind the vastly superior Corvettes and Astons. The 550 Ferraris are much faster as well.

Some care about what a car can do on a track some don't but IMO a 599 LMGT1 would leave a M LMGT1 miles behind at Le Mans something you as a racer can appreciate.

Best

7. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

LoL

The evolution from the Countach to the M has gotten heavier and heavier with 4wd, I know the CT doesn't have a dry sump unsure about the M as well but it shows what the objective of the car is definately not a racer but a cruiser.

Whats so great about Ferrari is they have made so many different cars but each and many are individual works of art, Lambo has made essentially the same car with the Ct platform since the 70s to the M and nothing that innovative since introduced and the Miura before it.

The 599 is growing on me a bit, I think its a big improvement over the 550 in looks though which is plain in comparison.

8. Renee19

Renee19 Rookie

Oct 4, 2004
    West Palm Beach, Fla
    Full Name:
    Renee
    LP640

The 599 looks like a cross btwn a Corvette and Mazda RX-8...

9. abolfaz

abolfaz Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    Coral Gables
    Yep.

10. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

John

Lets not talk about race cars. These are all stock GT cars, that 98% of the buyers, are more interested in handsfree cellphone connections and stereos.

I doubt too many buyers, are interested in trying to order a rollbar.

You are correct about the oil system on the L cars. However it is not too difficult to correct that problem. With the F cars, it did not help to put the engine on top of the transmission. - In the end, they are all nothing but GT cars.

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ralph

As GT cars the 599 is a much better car than the M roadster. It can carry luggage, it can be sued every day, in the rain and the snow, and it has very high performance levels.

The M is an outrageous car but it's design and chassis are getting old and IMO the new one does look a bit "Riced" For a Sunny Sunday Driver I'd take the M roadster but for a usable GT car there really is no contest and on a day that the M race car finished 566 miles behind the car that Allan and Joe refer to as a POS I'm not sure those that love cars can entirely dismiss that result.

Best

12. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    This question needs a poll to be created..............

13. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

James

Agreed. Yes in competition, the M car has done very poor. Yes it is too heavy, and it does not have a competitive modern chassis. I have heard (I do not know if it is true), that the next L 12cyl mid-eng car, will have a chassis that is designed for competition in mind. However as for GT cars, it offers a lot, and has been described actually as a bargain (This months Car Magazine).

M Roadster does not have a useable top. The 550 Barchetta does not have a useable top either. I do not think that is much of a problem in California and Arizona.

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Don't disagree at all. For the $ a Used M is a LOT of car. On another note I think today we saw the future of Le Mans and the future is DIESEL.

Best

15. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Design fads come and go. The current "thick-skinned" and "full bodied" looks of the Murcie and Cadillacs (look at the side body panels as they meet the rear bumpers on both marques) will be viewed as fat or chubby in 10 to 20 years.

We'll almost certainly go through a design phase of minimalism between now and then, where the more anorexic the appearance of the vehicle, the more sexier it will be thought of at the moment.

...and that too will pass.

But each fad tends to leave/perpetuate one or two examples of real beauty; the future will borrow and possibly even enhance those real instances of art by updating them for new designs.

Everything else will be considered "Dated" or otherwise ridiculed/ignored. That's just how things work.

16. shifty308

shifty308 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    coulterville ca
    Full Name:
    steven schiffler
    lambo 0 world titles ferrari 15. end of discussion

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I hate you. :)

18. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Funny that. :D :D

19. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    id get the 599 and then save for the lambo but thats just me

20. rakjoe

rakjoe Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe R.
    Not necessary...

Porsche 997 is better suited for racing then both the 599 and the M, does it mean I will take it over the M for street use ? You must be kidding..this argument does not belong here..
    Look at Pontiac GTO in this years Rolex Cup destroying the competition, would you drive one of those ? Let alone prefer it over a 599 ? (I would :D ;) )
    The 599 must be very potent under-designed GT car, I will take it over the M for the occasional L.A to Vegas night run for it's added cabin roominess and overall comfort but for almost every other occasion I will take M before the 599.
    Honestly, it might even get a little bit embarrassing for me to be seen in a 599 in a day time on Sunset strip.. :D :D

21. TBond8

TBond8 Karting

Feb 7, 2006
    CT,CA, Europe
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    This is not even a fair question. 599 all the way. It is a better car in every catagory. The Lambo is ugly. Not that interesting and about to be replaced.

599 is the car hands down.

Thanks,

22. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    599 for me. Lambo needs to dump the AWD and improve the car's handling before I'd consider it. I'd take both if I could, but if I had to choose it would be the 599.

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

Take your point but IMO the Rolex cup is a bit too NASCAR for me. I perfer cars that look like cars and the GT 1 and GT 2 class of ALMS. I think today we saw the future and future is Diesel...

24. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I'd take the Italian car.

25. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    neither. Both companies are getting a little wild with their designs. The Lambo looks too futuristic. The 599 looks... ugly. They are moving away from the classic, beautiful car designs, and into a more abstract direction. Both companies should know to never screw with something that already looks great.