Le Mans Experience | FerrariChat

Le Mans Experience

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Jun 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    This was by far one of the most interesting race venues we've attended. The cars, the sounds, the atmosphere all set it apart from the F1 races we normally attend. Go back again, yes . . next year is the 75th running - surely there'll be something special to mark this milestone.

As for sounds, the Audi has a most definite sound that you don't even need to see the car and be able to identify it in darkness or daylight. The Lambo, well, that's another story . . best description is that of shreiking, ear piercing; corvettes are the deep, loud ones - knew who they were in darkness also. It was neat to hear them come into the pits and when exiting the pits when the rev limiter gave way to acceleration. The 430 was very lound going past us to their box. The Astons have their own distinct sounds too.

Our seats were wonderful as we were in the Michelin stands (Lagache #19) - third row and across from the Lambo and Intersport garages. Stand was covered and we could see cars coming into the Ford Chicane, down the straight and up iand out of the first turn. We also had two tv screens to view with one being a bit better than the other.

We also purchased a bus excursion to Arnage and Mulsane along with our weekend and seat tickets. We left Saturday about 8:30 pm. Spent just over an hour at Arnage - got some cool photos of cars coming into the turn, slowest one on track, got to see the Flying Lizards lock it up into the turn. From there we went to Mulsane and again spending over an hour there. It was just beginning to get dark when we arrived there. To hear the cars thru the trees and seeing them from Tertre Rouge and coming down the straight at full speed was awesome. Darkness finally came and crossing thru the woods wasn't bad at all. We got back to our drop off area about 12:30 am. Went back into circuit and lots going on. "Dinner" was sandwiches sometime in the early hours; ferris wheel ride at 3 am (great view of track). Dawn at LeMans is a magical time - we opted to be at the top of turn one watching the cars go under the Dunlop Bridge - absolutely awesome - yes, I did get some photos of Intersport and Scuderia Ecosse at dawn but not with headlights coming as you really don't need to be taking photos at time with a flash. Lots of viewing screens available - most popular was one in the village. Found folks still there at daybreak but most were either asleep in their chairs or laying on the gound in sleeping bags.

They had a great number of LeMans classic cars on display in a grassy area in the village. Some really unique ones for sure including a REAL TR - license plate on car was WON7. Got several photos there of the various marques. Also had an Osca there too.

Driver accessibility was terrific - unlike F1. Talked with Allan for a while at the main Audi hq which was across from Corvette. Also had a nice chat with Bob Varsha and David Hobbs about F1 and LeMans. Also had chat with Clint Field, and got autographs from Tomas Enge and other Aston drivers, Ron Fellows, Alex Yoong and others. Spent Friday afternoon in the pits - got to see the cars in bits and pieces (literally).

The TGV train is the only way to go! Stayed at the Sheraton here at the airport Friday night and again last night. The train is only a two esclator ride away from the hotel entrance. Clint was ahead of us at check in last night and he was telling of his adventure of a flat and 1.5 laps to go - he said they classified in 19th.

Do this again - most definitely yes - learned a few things this time which would make the subsequent return even better. We had only backpacks for this trip which is the only way to go.

The sights, sounds and atmosphere - especially being at locations you read about, see in movies, etc. make this an experience never to be forgotten.

More later withphotos. Have to catch a plane to Houston then home.

Le Mans = a true test of people and machineery.

Ciao,

Carol & John

2. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for the write up. We had quite extensive coverage here on Dutch TV and they said that once you've experienced Le Mans you're hooked.

A small question: I'm planning on going to the Classic Le Mans event early July. I have a hotel for two nights but not for the race night (sat-sun). Would you say I could do without a hotel for that particular night because of the action and sights? Thanks.

Best, Peter

3. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    Endurance racing is way cool. You are so right about dawn: You feel such a sense of relief to know that the night is over, and somehow the fact that the race is barely half over doesn't quite compute. We have a 24-hour karting series in Dubai; a few years back our team won the championship, and the prize was an entry to a 24 hour kart race at Le Mans, on the Alain Prost kart circuit. A very good time was had by all. Five days of drunken revelry with a 24-hour race in there somewhere.

If you go absolutely do not miss the cathedral.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/DubaiVol/LeMans.jpg

And for people who judge France by Parisians, a small town like Le Mans will make you realise that the French outside Paris are pretty good folks after all. Probably not so obvious on a race weekend....

PS: I think you are doing the right thing skipping the hotel room for race night. Stay, enjoy, watch the sun come up at the track.

4. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    Carol, sounds like a great time! Please post some pictures when you have a chance.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Carol,

I'm planning on going to Le Mans when there isn't a race. How much of the track is public road? Is there anything to do during the year, like eg. a museum or a racing school?

Looking forward to your pics.

6. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Great report Carol. Glad you had a nice time. Hope to get some nice photos soon!!!

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks for report! Sounds like you had a great time.

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    LeMans remains at the very top of my race attendance experiences. The cars of course, but the sounds, the people, to see in person the sights we have seen in magazines for years, it is amazing.

Not to mention the best race track food of any venue. The corn on the cob at Road America is great, but nothing else comes close to the vendors at LeMans

9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Hi,

Carol is still dumping stuff in the washing machine so I thought I'd hide out and catch up on the compujter and maybe answer a couple of questions.

There is a museum on site. It looked impressive from the outside and we could see some cars through the large windows on the front. We didn't have time to go through it - not even with all the time that appeared to be available - the event is simply so huge that we still didn't get to all the places we wanted to go.

We did see signs advertising a racing school that portrayed pictures of both motorcycles and formula Renault cars. Don't know anything about it but the sign was put up by the ACO and we saw several references to driving schools put on by the club. You might contact them directly and see what they might have to offer.

The public roads run from approximately Tertre Rouge through just about the Virage Porche - which translates as most of the track. Of the more famous parts, you would only miss from the Virage Porche through the Ford Chicane, the start/finish/pit straight, the Dunlap Curve (turn 1) and the Dunlap Bridge up to around Tertre Rouge. We didn't have a car but ran into a photographer that does a lot of work for Michelin and he said it was definitely worth the experience.

Don't know about the classic event (though we're going to look at it very hard) but there is no time or place for a hotel room during the race. We took a short nap in our seats for a few minutes about 2:30, immediately regretted the lost time when we woke, and headed for the carnival where Carol took a 3 a.m. ride on the ferris wheel.

Words really can't describe the feeling that comes at dawn. You begin to become aware of the fact that the sky is slowly becomming slightly less dark. From then to the time the sun breaks the horizon is almost a magical time. We chatted a lot about where to spend that time and ended up at the Dunlap Curve where the cars passed by quite close and at speed from the start finish straight. Another experience that stands out is standing in the dark woods along the Mulsanne Straight about a mile from Tertre Rouge and experiencing the lights and sounds passing at "full song".

The folks we met were some of the nicest we've encountered anywhere on our travels. We didn't meet a single stranger.

This absolutely qualifies as one very remarkable event. As y'all might be able to tell, we are hooked and will be there next year when they kick off the 75th running.

No doubt Carol will have more observations to pass along.

Ciao,

John

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Great writeup, John and Carol!

I am curious what comments Varsha and Hobbs might have had about the difficulty of growing F1's popularity in the States...

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks John. You just confirmed my belief to go there also once when there isn't a race. Kewl.

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    If you go all the way to LeMans, you should definetely consider taking the time to plan a round trip to Mulhouse, which is located to the east on the French, German, Swiss border.

I must warn you that to do these two during the same trip may be cause for a coronary.

13. Wouter Melissen

Wouter Melissen Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Wouter Melissen
  14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True, but I'm safe: I've been to Mulhouse already. Great place!

15. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    An excellent report. Thanks for posting it.
    Regards,
    John & Carol

16. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Fantastic report and the photos are simply amazing. Makes me feel that I also attended the event. Thanks a lot :)

17. Wouter Melissen

Wouter Melissen Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Wouter Melissen
    It is very much my pleasure!

18. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    #19 FerrariStuff.com, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #20 jknight, Jun 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It was definitely a great time - already making plans for the 75th running. Only change would be to stay in LeMans Friday night. A hotel room was not needed for Saturday night - just caught a cat nap on the seats. The Audi was absolutely awesome - a sound all of it's own. Should be interesting to see how two diesels will do next year.

The night was short (relative location) at it was finally dark about 11:30 and dawn came at 5 am. (We used to do 24 hour motorcycle enduros way back when.) I must say that endurance racing ranks above F1 for me.

Here's a few photos:

Carol
    Image Unavailable, Please Login