Les Boogity Boogity ... Le Mans is running | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Les Boogity Boogity ... Le Mans is running

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by writerguy, Jun 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Do you know where I can buy every taped race on DVD for F1? I wish they put out every race on DVD vs. season recap (the recent year ones).

I personally like the sound of the 19k RPM F1 engines. The staring grid sounds like a bunch of buzzing hornets when the lights go out (I had to say buzzing hornets :p ). I would hate if the sound went away because of diesel. If they switched to ethanol, I wouldn't mind that much.

2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Can diesel today rev to comparable levels of gasoline back in 1966 F1?

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You can find season recaps here:

http://www.motorsportcollector.com/

Including a lot of Le Mans recaps (to stay more on topic). :)

4. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    On topic?! ....hangs head...

OK, some Le Mans trivia for Audi:

Audi raced it back in the 1930's as Auto Union, yes??

"Auto Union" was a combination of four companies: Audi, DKW, Horche and Wanderer

Horch is German for "listen" (to those Le Man sounds).

Audi is also Latin for "listen," as in "audible" as well as the acronym from Auto Union Duetshe something ("industry"??)...

5. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal

6. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Well, I see several questions. Will Audi, make a production sports car using the TDI? Will they sell it in the USA? Will folks in the USA buy into this synthetic diesel and use our coal reservres to produce it? Time will tell, but I like diesel cars...I had an 82 300SD that I drove for 19 years...great car...Now with much more horsepower and tons of torque being produced by this Audi engine, it seems that the opportunities are great...I hope we see some diesel supercars and soon.

7. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    50% of AUDI vehicles sold in Europe have turbodiesels ( TDI ) engines, top of the range models ( SUV, A4-A6 ) wagon even up to 70% in countries like Italy, Germany, France, Spain.

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    This is the future no question about it.

9. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Roger that, I am asking about a real, sure enough, SPORTS CAR? That is what I would like to see...the 12 would be nice as well...but an 8 would probably do just fine....I see a curvy retro looking Spyder...I can dream...

10. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I agree. We've seen two significant technological engine breakthroughs recently: Audi's Le Mans diesel and Renault's pneumatic valve, camless F1 engine.

It's safe to say that cars in the future won't have cams and may not run on gasoline.

That would cut down on car fires (diesel can pretty well put out most fires!) while improving power, performance, and endurance (e.g. both maintenance and gas mileage).

At some point in the future either insurance companies or government agencies (possibly both) will push car manufacturers away from gasoline.

Gasoline will go the way of flammable celluloid (nitrate oxide??) from the old silent movie days...

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I see the writing on the wall. Sad day.

12. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I will not think the future is sad, it is not here yet.

13. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    When the first internal combustion engine was created, it was used for stationary power. When Gottlieb, and who in America, (help), made the the thing move, people said, It will scare the horses, let's race them. I bet the future from 2006 will be cool. Why? Because the Audi A-10 is fast.

14. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    The RS Spyder is not nearly ready for Le Mans. Yes, they won a sprint race at Mid Ohio, but they've had a lot of reliability problems this season, especially at Sebring.

Porsche won't even commit to Le Mans next year, although I reckon they will be there. When the customer cars start coming on stream things are going to get very interesting.

15. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    No, the R10s were using a formulated diesel called RD24 (iirc). It wasn't the same as V power. At least that was according to Radio Le Mans.

16. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Visiting a friend in Germany a few months ago who owns a new 3 series BMW wagon .... his car pulled hard and was very fast ... but also very quiet. When he told me it was a diesel I was very surprised and impressed.

17. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    This is the official spec sheet of the fuel issued on January 16, 2006.

Apparently Shell altered the composition (most probably within the regulations) to battle foaming when refuelling.

http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/reglements/ressources/auto_2006/shell_v_power_diesel_lm24.pdf

http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/reglements/ressources/auto_2006/shell_v_power_lm24.pdf