Count down to Le Mans | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Count down to Le Mans

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Jun 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wouter Melissen

Wouter Melissen Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Wouter Melissen
    You might be right that the diesel engines are somewhat favoured, but I have no doubt in my mind that the R10 would have won with the exact same margin if it was fitted with the R8 engine. You need to take into consideration that the competition consisted of the Pescarolo, which was based of the 2000/1 Courage C60, the Dome, which is just as old and the Creation and Zytek, which are derivatives of the 2002 Reynard 02S. The new four new cars (Courage and Lola) are still very early in their development phase and the many troubles clearly showed that. Then we have the R10 chassis, which is built to the latest standards and tested with no expense spared. It is easy to 'blame' the engine for the Audi dominance, but I think the chassis and aero deserves at least equal credit.

2. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    If the chassis is so great... why the need for all the rule bending?

And no expensise spared... indeed, the only true manufacturer's entry. It's time that the others come back to Le mans.

3. Wouter Melissen

Wouter Melissen Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Wouter Melissen
    The only possible rule bending is the airco requirement, but a quick peak at the entry list book shows that the Audi was the only car that weighed in at exactly 925 kg; both Pescas were 930. It looks like the Audi V12's performance took the ACO by surprise. Previous diesel efforts did not really make a lasting impression. The winning margin over the nearest competition was just 4 laps and looking at all the problems suffered by the number 7 car, it could have just as well gone Henri's way. Hell, the number 8 car was pulled off the grid two hours before the race and when I peaked in the pit box most of the rear end was off the car. I was skeptical at first as well, but now I look back at it as a job very well done by Audi, Joest and the drivers.

It has to be noted that Audi was most certainly sandbagging throughout all sessions, maybe because they were uncertain about the car's reliability or because they did not want to play too many of the good cards before Peugeot joins the fun. A performance adjustment for diesel engines for next year would be justified.