Post WW2 V12 manufacturers? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Post WW2 V12 manufacturers?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by GrigioGuy, Jun 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Maybach's use Mercedes 5.5L V12 Biturbos...same as those found in all the current 600 level cars (S, CL, SL) As such, I do not think Maybachs count. Maybach off

But then all the new Bentley 12s (WHICH ARE W12s!) are made by VW, so go figure. Bentley off

The current RR's have a V12 specific only to RR models, unlike the last generation which used the same M73 V12 as the later 750iL and later 850Ci. So one can make the argument that RR's engines are at least as 'unique' as much as, if not more so than the Mcl. F1, as that too used a "single use" BMW engine. RR??

BTW Pagani's use the same AMG V12 as the last generation SL60 and SL73, so no matter what, they would be not considered. Pagani stays off

I like V12s :)

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    There is a Soviet car that runs on a modified E31 drivetrain.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Volga%20V12%20Coup%C3%A9%20&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi

3. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    OK V12 fans, here's an obscure one. The Dart Truck company built giant specialty trucks for industrial use. I remember seeing an aluminum block V12 for sale on E-Bay that indicated the engine came from a Dart snow blower truck. There were 2 of these engines in the snow blower truck. One engine powered the truck. The other powered the snow blower. These engines were massive V12s and were also used in some military tanks like the M47. Strangely enough, they were air cooled. 1790 cubic inch V12 diesel.

This one is too good to pass up. Not a PRODUCTION car, but you have to take your hat off to it.

One of them powers the custom made Blastolene Special that was eventually bought by Jay Leno.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=8789&page_number=1

Check out the web page of the builder of Jay's Blastolene Special: http://www.blastolene.com/The_Special/index.htm

4. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    That GM V12 is really cool, their is a historic junkyard park in Jerome AZ that has many ancient trucks from the 20s and 30s and 40s, really interesting and has the oldest running steam engine in the US, its a 2 cylinder and sounds like an explosion at each revolution.

5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Pretty much, in which case I suppose Daimler would be off too. Volvo built V12s for heavy-duty use I think.

However, I do know for a fact that Cummins does produce V12 engines, as does Caterpillar.

6. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    Mclaren F1? I know it came from BMW, but the engine was specific to the F1.

7. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
  8. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    The American LaFrance fire trucks had a flathead V12 engine. A few years ago, I found a couple of these fire trucks behind an antique shop. One chassis had the body stripped off it and the giant V12 was most impressive looking. I took some pictures and found out a month later that the fire trucks had been sold to a scrap metal dealer about 20 miles away. I gave them a call, hoping that I could buy the V12 for dirt cheap. Too late. They had already chopped it up with a torch! Sad.

9. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Sort of ironic, the fire trucks fate would be a torch.