Help, my wife is busting my chops... (355 Exhaust too loud) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help, my wife is busting my chops... (355 Exhaust too loud)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spaghetti_jet, Jun 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Somehow, I knew this would be your response. And I love it! Much to my wife's chagrin :)

2. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth

Thou shalt not sell thy 355. I think its the 11th commandment or something!

Gotta love that 355 sound!!!

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

There may be more to it.... Are you sure that if you go to the expense and trouble of making a change she won't find something else to complain about? She may just not like the car around. I'd try to figure that out first. Only you can find out what the real deal is. Good luck.

4. ilpui

ilpui Rookie

Jun 21, 2006
    Are your cats o.k.?
    capristo's are louder.
    Get rid of your wife or put factory system.

5. fana355france

fana355france Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 10, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    I already heard a tubi keeping cat convertors and the sound was not high...

6. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Get a big Harley with straight pipes. Drive it around the neighbourhood at odd times, like 4AM, for a couple of weeks. Shake the place up.

Then get rid of it. The Ferrari won't sound so bad to the neighbours anymore.

7. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    At last, some useful advice that could actually work!
    Ron

8. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Tubi might sound loud for a weekend bash but surely the answer is to put the standard exhaust back and not have to put up with the noise and harshness and boominess that the tubi brings.

Actually of all the fuss made about Tubi i heard a Honda with a bomb silencer last week and it sounded just like a tubi equipped 355! really it did - just a noise and a lot of it.

9. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Drop some Tubi headers or possibly even any other aftermarket header on there.. After the Tubi headers went on my car (test pipes + tubi exhaust) the sound got significantly quieter and less harsh.. I put in a Kreis-sieg crossover pipe and got a nice wail at the top end, but the low end is still not nearly as loud.

-R

10. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Aftermarket headers as Robin stated will change the tone.

However the easiest way is to get a remote controlled exhaust with valves. The Kreis-sieg unit works like this. You can put it on quiet mode (you'll lose HP but if you need it for the neighborhood you probably won't need power). Or you can put it on a louder mode. This exhaust will be more expensive then your standard Tubi or Capristo but it may solve your problems.

Just an idea.

That or get a Capristo Level II, she'll beg you to put the Tubi back on! LOL.

If you need more info just give me a ring or email, contact info below.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    now mines not a 355 but the mondi 8. i have euro headers and test pipes with the tubi. loud at WOT is an understatement. idle and low speed isn't bad, and highyway cruising you can hold a conversation. oddly when i had the cats on the drooning was horrible, after 15mins you had a headache and a ringing in your ears. but with the freeflowing current setup it's alot easier on the ears.

apples and oranges, but i thought i'd share.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    cross over pipe? Do you have a photo of where that goes?

Ray

13. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    #38 Robin, Jun 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It goes between the cats and the top input on the muffler. The stock pipe is a crinkled up POS with silencers on it, while the Kreis-sieg unit is a smooth pipe with no silencers. It smooths out a lot of the harshness from the sound and really wails at the top end. A friend of mine was following me somewhere the other day and noted that my setup is a lot quiter than it was before i put on the Tubi headers, but said that it also sounded a lot better, as the stock system tended to burp, grumble, and boom a lot. I think the smooth headers and crossover pipe are responsible for a much more pure tone.

-R
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Welshman

Welshman Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Worcestershire
    You must have had a lot of satisfied female tenants in that condo!

15. leang86

leang86 F1 Rookie

Jun 12, 2005
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Leang
    Do you have a picture of your engine bay before and after the install of the tubi headers and crossover pipe.

After this mods any increase of power or more responsive?

16. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    No pictures but I'll see if I can whip some up. You can't really see the headers or the pipe actually. Another guy on here posted pictures of his during installation: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84410

Power and responsiveness feels the same, just sounds smoother and I don't have to worry about cracked headers anymore. I'm guessing it runs cooler too since I had the x-over pipe jetcoated inside and out.

-R

17. leang86

leang86 F1 Rookie

Jun 12, 2005
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Leang
    Nice!

Thanks for the link.

18. stuckinkuwait

stuckinkuwait Formula Junior

Jul 25, 2004
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Lenny S
    Just take everyone in the neighborhood for a ride!! Once they experience the ride of their life, they will never again complain about the noise.

19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Its a good thing you are not a biker here in the US, the outlaw biker guys and their harleys are about and im not kidding 100 times as loud as my tubi. I wish my car was that loud! Evry once and a while I have a friend get pulled over for a loud car exhaust give me a break the harleys are so loud they will make you ears bleed and I was in a band with 4 marshall stacks so I am no sissy!!

20. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    Here is my take on the 355 Tubi w/ catbypass pipes. The cars is great stock and all the way up to the TUBI with catabypass pipes...............the car is sensational. The WIFE is overly concerned about the Ferrari in a manner that cant be FIXED no matter waht he does.
    #1 the car is ostentatious and she is concerned about that. The F355 is expensive and flash in her eyes and she is uncomfortable
    #2 the F355 is loud and racy and the exhaust sounds GREAT- she is uncomfortable again
    3# LIFE IS NOT A POPULARITY CONTEST-- enjoy your great sounding Ferrari and ignore her bleating protests.

For more great FErrari VIDEO of F355 with TUBI and catbypass pipes and sports cats............F360 with catbypass pipes, sportcats and a TUBI with Fabspeed Motorsports TIPS and a F430 with Fabspeed TIPS and sport race catalytic converters GOTO

www.fabspeed.com

have a great 4th of July
    Joe Fabiani
    Fabspeed Motorsports 215-646-4945 (9828fax)
    [email protected]

21. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska

sounds like heaven... I'm IN!

22. traknut

traknut Karting

Mar 30, 2006
    Sounds like Lime Rock........

23. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Lime Rock is being really aggressive about it. Arrived at LRP a day early for an event and was walking the track (on the grass hill). At the back straight right by the fence (atop the grass hill) was a LRP official with a dB meter and he was calling in guys. So if you are wondering WHERE they 'tag' your car, it appears to be there.

24. MaleficVTwin

MaleficVTwin F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm curious, Spaghetti, has anyone besides your wife said anything about it?
    If not, she may just be worried that someone WILL say something. I have had a LOT of loud cars, trucks, and bikes, and lived in all kinds of neighborhoods, and I have never had anyone say anything to me. Just my thought...

25. kev355

kev355 Rookie

Jul 6, 2006
    on 355 with Tubi standard cats just the tubi ..sounds great...it is amusing when it sets of the alarm on my other car..