Got to check out the neighbors new Bentley... | FerrariChat

Got to check out the neighbors new Bentley...

Discussion in 'British' started by TheBigEasy, Jun 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    #1 TheBigEasy, Jun 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. jordanair45

jordanair45 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    The front grill looks too oddish with the whole stretched out design of the car. When you get older, buy a Continental GT-C. That is one pimp grandchild hauler.

3. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    You think? I think it looks better than the dated tank-like Arnage. I like how with this Flying Spur they have gone a different direction than the RR Phantom. When they were the same company didn't they have the same cars just rebadged?

Also, what's a Continental GT-C?

4. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    The new convertible...I believe

5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    They're nice and I would consider owning one, however, Aston Martins are very close. The DB9 and Rapide are drop-dead gorgeous.

6. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I'd definetly go for an aston over a bentley, rolls or jag. I like the v8 vantage myself. My dad would love a bentley he loves english cars especially of this type a neighbor of ours has an older bentley (green 1980s I forget the damn model) nice luxury cruisers

7. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Looks ugly and boring.

Perhaps some interior shots would change my opinion.

I've experienced the current Rolls Phantom on several occasions and it doesn't seem worth the price either, although it does make an impression from the outside.

I don't know what it is but the current generation of luxury sedans just don't do it for me at all. I loved them back in the mid to late 90's...

8. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    Buy a VW phaeton for $37K, and a 550 with the change...

9. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Those RR Phantom's are just too humungous. I couldn't imagine driving one, I think you need to be driven in it, like a Maybach.

10. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    I´ve driven one of those, I found it way to regular. If im paying that kinda money for a car, I want it to have some kind of special feel to it. I´d pick a aston over it anyday.

11. jordanair45

jordanair45 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
  12. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I don't get where you guys are getting Aston's from? This car is a huge 4-door cruiser. The only Aston with 4-doors is that new Rapide, which would compete with cars like the Maserati QP.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'd rather have a 2001 750iL. The extra money could easily buy an awesome weekend car.

14. Europlayboy

Europlayboy Karting

May 10, 2005
    Manhattan
    I've driven one.

My father had one very briefly. It's a very boring looking car, although the interior is very nice. It also blends into traffic too much, and looks like a Lincoln Town Car from certain angles. I'd take an Arnage or even a new MB S65 over that.

15. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I'd take an Arnage too. I like the looks of the car. I wonder about the reliability but still may buy one.

16. coolme187

coolme187 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    your never too old to have sports car :D

17. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I think it looks beautiful. Boring? I think that's the point. Outside of message forums, the percentage of people that want aggressive 4-door ulta-luxury cars is very very small. Buyers want power yes, a but not necessarily a raw edge.

18. alin13

alin13 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Why bother with this? Just buy a Phaeton and save money. This is just a rebadged and reskinned Phaeton, and it's a rather ungainly design, they tried to make it a 4-door CGT, but it looks too upright, not sleek like the CGT. Also the CGT's rear wheel arches has those curves that looks fantastic, on the FS they can't have those curves, and it all looks rather slab sided.
    If you want a bentley, buy a proper bentley. The Arnage is much more to my liking, yes it's more expensive and probably less reliable and certainly less gadgets inside, but it's real luxury

19. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    I love the flying spur. Those pics don't really do it justice. I've seen plenty in person and have been inside them. The interiors are really sweet. I'd definitely rather have one then a CGT. In fact most CGT owners have been trading their cars in for them from what I've heard from a my friend who sells them. Of course, the Arnage is the best looking though but it's twice as much.

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Arnage is no longer that more expensive,you can pick a new one in low $200k,with FS loaded costing close to $200k.
    Anyone saying that Spur is a rebadged Phaeton is just ignorant,it has it's floor pan based on it and the engine is from the same family of W modular generation (as is the Bugatti's).Interior is bespoke ,it has however the Phaetons navigation screen.
    Also,you can't argue with the car's 560hp and probably one of the best handling in it's class.
    In that regard Arnage is slow,ponderous and handles worse then a F150 pick up truck.Although very classy looking,it is way outdated and needs replacement ASAP.New Arnage is coming within next 2 years with Bugatti's detuned W16 and based on stretched FS/Phaeton floor pan.

21. WRXracer112

WRXracer112 Karting

Jan 6, 2005
    Richmond Va
    Full Name:
    Gray
    First of all I think they are great cars. But I am sorry! Maybe it is the pictures, but for $200k I would hope the wheels would look better than that!?!?! But that is my opinion!

I guess with that kind of cash you could go out and buy better wheels, haha! thanks for sharing, I would love to ride in one, I have only sat in one. I road in a Maybach, if they are anything similar, its a great car!

22. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    People don't understand what platform sharing means. They think it means they bolt on different doors and fenders to the same car and off it goes.

What it really means is that underskin parts such as door latches and window lifts are carried over, but most of the time everything you see and touch in unique to each car. There is still plenty of wiggle room available to give each car it's own unique feel and personality (350z vs FX35 for instance). My grandma might have a hard time telling the Spur for a Phaeton, but anyone calling himself a car guy ought to see two completely different cars.

23. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    I'd say just the opposite-any real car guy knows they are almost the same...and since you can get a 2006 Phaeton for 10K+ off sticker, you are paying a premium for a body kit, a turbo and some more wood inside.

24. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Don't forget the badge. ;)

25. alin13

alin13 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    I still don't like the Screen and all the computer buttons inside the FS, looks very german