599 V Murcielago LP 640 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

599 V Murcielago LP 640

Discussion in '612/599' started by WILLIAM H, Jun 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    LOL!

2. NHeerDesign

NHeerDesign Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I'm going to get shot for this, but I'd even take a HARDTOP LP640 over a 599. I'm just evil that way.

@shifty308: that's the way old man Ferrucio wanted it. No racing.

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Hey they won many World Titles in boats with car engine races :p

LP640, in a heartbeat. Tho the 599 is growing on me.

4. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005

LMFAO!!!!!

That is very true!!!
    To each is own in the end but i dont think you could go wrong with either car.
    Since Audi took over (after 4 or 5 ownership changes to Lambo -prior to Audi- - lost count) i think they got it right.. The new murci looks radical and so does the old...
    I would still take a 599....................

5. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I'd have to pick the 599 as it is a brand new car, while the 640 is a the last gasp of an aging model. I think the 640's styling changes are all for the worse. Meanwhile I see the 599 is a quantum leap from the 575.

RE: Racing results. Results on track have more to do with the team and car preparation than the fundamental abilities of the base car. It is in no way fair to compare a small privately entered Japanese team's M car with the might of Provdrive's Aston and their older 550, or a top flight factory effort like Corvette. In the right hands the M- could very well be a world beater.

Win on Sunday sell on Monday is function of marketing rather than engineering.

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The 430 that creamed the M was a small private team. The M isn't nor ever will be a race car. The G isn't looking too good as a race car either. As an aside the future is Diesels and nothing will stand up to them. Things change and once again they have. Congrats to Audi.

7. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    The flag dropped and BS stopped, Lambo came in last with milage of the winner being in Arizona already with the Lambo just entering the top of Nevada.

Poor Lambo never has had much of a success in its history at anything excluding the attention factor.

8. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    i think the 599 GTB has a clearer definition of what its trying to be. a car that at the current time has the most F1 technology and lessons learned from F1 that can be trickled down to a production car. its a car that inherits an Enzo engine, can be a serious threat on the track, yet so livable that you can go long distance cruising with every creature comfort possible.

the Lambo does what Lambo does best! its not good at anything particular....too big and heavy for the track and not a comfortable day to day cruiser. but it stays true to the tradition of being an exotic.....bad boy looks that make people chase you for miles, ferocious acceleration and sound, all the quirks of an exotic in its difficulty to use and you'll need to take a nap after a hour of driving to free your body of all the adrenalin!

9. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    The 599 has so much going for it
    - Enzo engine
    - sophisticated drivetrain
    - comfort/ergonomics
    - new model status
    - Ferraris motorsport heritage

But it's just SOOO ugly - styled like an old mans GT. Ferrari's take on Aston Martin.
    It just doesn't look like a supercar. I just can't imagine kids with posters of this Toyota-esque car on their wall.

The LP640 loses to the 599 in EVERY department but at least it's styled like a supercar and for that reason the Lambo wins. Probably want to get it in a more subtle colour like black.

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No question M looks like a Supercar and 599 looks like a GT.

11. 355bnut

355bnut Karting

Jan 8, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    DomC
    Irrespective of ones thoughts on design - and I for one feel the 599 is a great design both in looks but even more importantly as it contributes to the car's performance - the 599 will leave the M in the dust in every performance category except straight line speed. The M is not in the same league as the 599 in any real world driving experience, and fuggetaboutit on a track. Besides which the M's looks are nothing more than a continuing evolution of the Diablo which is nearly 20 years old. Theres nothing wrong with that, but I point it out because a number of commentators, including the idiot at Automobile Magazine, seem to be tired of certain 599 design elements that harken back to the 250, Daytona, et al. While the 599 certainly does pay omage to those great designs, it does so in a wonderfully modern and sophisticated way.
    At the end of the day, these cars represent two very different philosophies. The Ferrari is all about doing ecerything superbly, while the M just demands to be looked at and not be expected to do anything well.

12. dongerdude

dongerdude Formula 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Full Name:
    Carl
    LP640 for me for a number of reasons.

Back in '99 I thought the 360 styling was a step in the wrong direction when compared with the 355, and now the 599 is a quantum leap in the wrong direction. Also, the argument that the 599 is a great all rounder does nothing for me. If you want the best of both worlds, then for the same money, why not buy a Bentley CGT (or Aston DB9, or even a used 612 Scaglietti) as your tourer and get a Caterham/Aerial Atom/LCC Rocket/Elise/old Formula Ford as a track car? Also, Napolis you make the point a 599 would be better in the snow - check out an issue of Evo a couple of years ago where they took a Murci on a cross-Alps tour in winter (please don't take this comment the wrong way - I have the utmost respect for you, just I believe from the article that the Murci is far more capable in these circumstances than it has any right to be)

As for the argument about the Murci being an old design and the last of the line, then if anything that adds to appeal IMHO. Look at the way the Diablo 6.0 SE is revered over other Diablos (as the 993 Porsche is revered over other 911s). Add into the equation that the Murci replacement will be a re-engineered Gallardo/Audi A8 with a modular version of their V10 engine made to 12 cyls instead of a stand alone engine line.

But the main reason I'd take the Murci is because for me it IS a supercar. And that for me means that practicality, cruising ability take a back seat compared with the simple event of driving it - of being totally immersed in the whole experience; and wonderful car though I'm sure the 599 is, I'm sure the EXPERIENCE of an LP640 on the right road is that bit more intense that it makes me ache to own one. Oh and by the way, I've been a lifelong Ferrari fan and the only Lambo I liked previous to the Murci was the Miura - I'm sorry, but currently Ferrari has lost it's way for me...

13. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #64 No Doubt, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    #65 SS2012, Jun 21, 2006
    Here is a brief comparison on the Ferrari vs Lambo stars

599 vs Murcielago
    430 vs Gallardo

Personally I prefer the Ferraris to the wedge shape Lambos.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. 355bnut

355bnut Karting

Jan 8, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    DomC
    You must be kidding!
    have you driven a Bentley CGT? Asrton? Miura?
    As driver cars, they all SUCK!
    Take the Murci on a track and then tell me its a Supercar - NOT!

16. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies

Very nice! A simple yet effective analysis. What this really shows is that both compaines are on the right track-- two distinct brands, which have two cars are carry that brand's identity without being carbon copies of each other.

17. fastgman

fastgman Karting

Feb 22, 2006
    The new lambo sucks. Who the hell would spend that much money on something that looks identical to the merci and it doesn't even go that much faster. Screw that! Waste, that car will go downhill fast, especially in a market where there are so many sweet supercars for that look much better and go just as fast.

18. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    you guys make me laugh:

1 Murcielago looks old
    2 LP640 should look different than a BAT

19. alin13

alin13 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Just my thoughts, but i think the 599 and the LP640 actually appeals to slightly different audience. The 599 will be bought by people who wants the brand, people who wants supercar performance without sacrificing the comfort and usability for everyday driving, and perhaps not to show off too much and being a bit more discrete. On the other hand, the LP640 will be loved by people who want to show off their wealth, don't mind a car only for the weekend, and want something that looks and feels very very special. Sure, the 599 is a Ferrari and the best looking of the current Ferrari, but the LP640 just looks so much more special, it's the shape of a real supercar, the 599 is not, it looks like a GT car.

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #71 amenasce, Jun 23, 2006
  21. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Murcielago wins in style and design while the 599 wins in performance.

22. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    599 is the best looking of the current Ferraris?! err. 0_o

23. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Does anybody other than you compare a Murci to a 599? Serious question. You put the 430 with the gallardo yet when people are comparing spiders/roadsters its usually the 430 spider vs the murci roadster. I just don't see how other than they both might have a cushy interior how anyone is ever trying to decide between those 2.

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think it's Ferrari's take on the Mercedes SL.

I concede that the 599 probably drives better (as it should being a 5-year-newer car), and agree with Rakjoe that it would be a great continental cruiser, but if it were for me I would still get a Murcielago.