Misleading Muscle Car Ads... | FerrariChat

Misleading Muscle Car Ads...

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkalley, Jun 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've been on the hunt for a toy for a while and have always had an interest in muscle cars. Well I found a local car in Hemmings. The ad read "Frame-Off Restored", perfect, like new, everything rebuilt, rust free....... So I made the call. The owner told me how the car was frame-off restored told me how the cars had no flaws and was showroom new. so i take the hour drive with my flashlight and magnet in hand. Talk about a complete lie. The paint was beyond bad. Orange peel, over spray everywhere, my magnet wouldn't stck in all the normal places, rust bubbles, etc. Just goes to show that you have to touch and feel it......... No matter how nice the guy sounds on the other end of the phone.

2. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    And I would bet he was still asking and arm and a leg for it.....Idiots..........

3. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I do some work on the side for a dealer that does mostly Corvette restorations, but we do some Chevy muscle too. We see it all the time when we're looking for cars. "Matching numbers" Corvettes turn out to have frames replaced by the owner's son-in-law, Chevelles with serious issues asking $20K over market. We've had 1 pleasant suprise since I've been working for him, we have a '66 Impala SS/396 that turned out to be a nearly perfect car. I thought it was going to be a rat when I called the owner to confirm our appointment and he started backing off on description of the car, but then we start looking at it and the only thing we can find wrong with it is a missing power brake booster and non-factory intake manifold, otherwise it's a gem. Impalas are a little outside what we do but the car was too good to pass up. Be careful out there!

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm currently looking at buying a car to restore. I won't get into details yet, but I think I might just buy it sight unseen. The owner has sent me a bunch of pictures and the rust just appears to be surface rust. All the rust prone areas on the car seem in good condition. It's matching numbers, too, and a very low production number. I'll post here again if the deal is completed, but the only hint I'll give so far is that it's a 1970 model year, but one of a few built in '69. ;)

5. 69stanger

69stanger Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    Datsun Z??

6. dream34

dream34 Karting

May 31, 2005
    New Orleans, La.
    I'll tell you this; about 5 years back I was in the market for a muscle car, in particular a 67-68 Mustang Fastback and looked at quite a few cars with the same problems. I also encountered the constant problem of guys who believed their car was worth 10-20K more than book value because they had "dropped" that amount to restore the vehicle. All in all it was a VERY frustrating process. In the end I found a great car, but it took me over 2 years of looking. The best thing I can tell you is to be patient, educate yourself on model(s) you are intrested in, and don't be afraid to walk away. Trust me, something better will come up for sale. In my case I waited, and got lucky. I found a guy who had several vintage Mustangs and was selling his 67 fastback to help finance a car for his son to drive while he was away at college in Texas. In the end I got a 67 fastback, which was about a 10 year old restoration, with no rust anywhere, matching numbers and 25K on the rebuilt engine for 13K. Just watch some of the guys selling these cars, they can be quite shifty and will try to take somebody who has limited knowledge regarding classic cars.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    DAMN IT!!! Was it that easy of a guess? I'll post back here if I buy it. It'll be a couple weeks at the earliest even though I might send the check next week.

Edit: I like some of the muscle cars that are featured on this page. Too bad the TV was cancelled on TNN/Spike. http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/ I wouldn't mind having this Mustang. Probably the only Mustang I like: http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0308phr_mustang

8. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    what was really crazy was based on the pics and the phone call i was going there with a check in hand. my jaw hit the floor when i started looking over the car. the guy is telling all about the frame of restoration and the 3 coats of color and 3 coats clear. ok i'm thinking well why is the orange peel so bad and the clear missing on the fender. then as i'm going around the car and my magnet won't stick in about 12 spots. he is telling me how the car had a fewq dings and he's giving the buyer a certified letter that it is rust free.. when i point out the rust bubbles he tells me 'you can buff those out for 50 bucks'. so he's telling me about the frame off process as i'm looking at the rotors covered in over spray. cracks in the bondo. the convertible top that won't go down.. rust showing under some chrome.... did + mention the frame off restoration that was done 3000 miles ago where every nut bolt and bushing was replace. and this guy was a car guy...president of the local club.. .. scary.

9. 69stanger

69stanger Rookie

Nov 30, 2003

your not the only one looking for an old Z car to fix up ;)