Official Pics: New Mercedes CL | FerrariChat

Official Pics: New Mercedes CL

Discussion in 'Other German' started by avalys, Jun 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. avalys

avalys Karting

May 26, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Alex Valys
  2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Its ok . Not gorgeous as the outgoing one .

3. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    almost looks like a Ford Taurus....

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Japanese.

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    ROFL!! Another nail in Mercedes coffin.

The profile is more dynamic then the outgoing CL class, however the overall front design leaves MUCH to be desired.

6. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Good god.

7. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I think that they should do a CLS style front, as this car could almost be a 2-door CLS. At least put some sharper edges on the front, as they have sharper edges and line on the rest of the car, and the headlights are all round.

8. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    I have the 05 CL 55 AMG and its a hell of a car. almost 500 hp and over 500TQ this car will run neck in neck with the new vette and is a much better put together car.
    vince

9. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    that would look awesome

10. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I don't think any MBs are "well put together".

The MB may utilize finer interior material than a new Corvette, but I would find it hard to believe that it is built better than a new Corvette.

MB has a long way to go to earn back my trust and I don't think this will be the car

11. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Uberbland Buick front end. Nice looking interior.

12. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Love the current CL model. If this is really how the new will look...ugh. VDAVIE: KEEP your '05!

13. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    Well i guess if you like plastic the Vette is the way to go..also look at the engine, the vette is 50 years old!

v

14. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I do not think it is possible for the new Corvette to squeak and rattle as much as my wife's SL55. The quality of the materials and the attention to build quality in these new MBs is abysmal.

In short, I would take a plastic car over the mess that has been my last 3 MBs.

15. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    i dont think the bulk of the target buyers of the CL would be anyone on ferrarichat. they might appeal to a few MB loyalists. will certainly not draw any new customers from other brands.

16. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
  17. reospeedwagon

reospeedwagon Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looks like a Volkswagen.

18. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    that thing has a bad case of scion headlight syndrome. In addition, every set of wheels they show it with are NASTY. I think it will do pretty well, though. I'd love to see it with some less disgusting wheels.

19. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    Are Audi and Porsche the only German companies making good looking cars these days? As far as I am concerned, the BMW E46 design is far better (and I believe a bit more timeless) than the new E90. MB has some nice designs (the CLS), but overall they are just a little too boring. When I see the early to mid 90's Mercedes cars on the road, I see cars with presence and power. Now, as some of you have pointed out, I see a Buick meets Acura design. And how VW can make such a mess with their Jetta and Passat models is beyond me. I think the A4 and A6 look great from every angle. But whenever I see their VW equals I cringe.

- Chris

20. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Looks like a two door CLS slightly. Hate the rims..they should have just taken and SL stretched it out and put CL on the back of it.

21. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I personally love the new Jetta design , and the Passat isn't bad either. The Jetta may not appeal to you or your age group, but it isn't supposed to. Also, Acura has great designs IMHO, and the new CL doesnt look like an Acura. BMWs quality is still great, and while you may not like the designs of Chris Bangle, that certainly doesn't mean there aren't people who like them, just not your demographic.

22. avalys

avalys Karting

May 26, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Alex Valys
    I disagree with mostly all of you - I looked at more of the pictures (didn't have much time yesterday), and I think it actually looks really good. Much better than the old CL, which looked rather awkward from the start (especially those squinty little headlights). Now it's starting to look very dated.

They definitely stole the new headlights from the BMW 6-series, though.
    Hah, thank you.

23. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Ugh, So thats what it takes to meet Europes new 'pedestrian safety' laws?

First BMW kills its style, now Mercedes. Audi, please don't fail me.

24. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    For me, the new VW designs just over employ the chrome. The front grill looks like a Bond villain that is about to chomp into someone's neck. I just think it's too much. With the same platform to design around, Audi uses the chrome only to accentuate the grill and as a result the 4 ring logo stand out; in the VW design, the company logo is lost awash a sea of chrome waves.

So far as Bangle and BMW go, I think it'***** or miss. To me, the Z4 is a great looking car. Same goes for the 5 series. But I think the mark was missed with the 3 series. I think the E46 had a strong, powerful stance that matched its regard as the driver oriented sedan in the company line-up. The E90 however, with its size especially, looks like a diet 5 Series. I like the design as a luxury sedan, but not as the sports sedan they try to market it as.

- Chris

25. Frozenguy

Frozenguy Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2004
    Bay Area, Califronia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    everyone hates change and new cars.. this new cl is very nice.. i still like the old one better ( i have an 01 55).. but this 07 is growing on me a lot.. its gone from tolerable to actually kinda considering an upgrade later down the line.. especially if it gets that 6.3 litre NA V12 i've heard about =-).. but i like the headlights a lot better then mine.. the interrior is decent.. there is something throwing me off from loving it.. i LOVE the current CL's intterior.. i think the 03+ is much much better then the 01-02 interrior..

its hard to design a new car.. or redesign an old one.. and i think they did just fine..

Peter