King of Cars? | FerrariChat

King of Cars?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by F40, Jun 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Does anyone watch this rubbish show on A&E? Mr. Towbin seemed a little shady, bringing lowriders and such nonsense to the dealer and what not... I googled it and found a couple sites that are against him... Seems he really does "work" the customer.

Eh?

2. TopCloser

TopCloser Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    Every dealer, just like every business, will have unhappy customers. Because Towbin sells so many people (about 800 a month, if I'm not mistaken), there are a higher number of pissed off people. Hence the websites. From what I know, it's a legit dealer that sells a ton of cars, and does so through a fairly unique way.

I can tell you that I'd love to work at a store as high-volume as Towbin. Lots and lots of money to be made.

3. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes he is here in Vegas and has crazy commercials on TV all the time. I would never buy from there. There was another thread when this show first came on and everyone trashed it, and someone from Towbin Motors actually registered and tried to defend the dealership.

4. BOG

BOG Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 30, 2006
    Typical shady car salesman. He should go ahead and sell invalid exotic car warranties and make even more.

5. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    watched like five minutes and quicky moved on

6. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash

Why dont you go to work for him then? Trust me auto dealers are always hiring new people. I wonder why?

BTW: Most car dealers are legit. Most car salespeople are not. You know when you are putting someone in a car they cannot afford. Does that stop you? NO!

7. johntvette

johntvette Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Hurst, Texas
    Full Name:
    John

"CAR THEM DOWN". Very common term in this business. Some people insist on buying cars they cannot afford.

Salespeople are not customers' personal financial advisors. But, it's a way for people to make themselves not feel responsible for their own mistakes....Blame it on the salesmen.

8. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I watch the show regularly. Actually, my uncle just got moved to Denver and on the way down he bought a truck from towbin. Maybe ill see him on the show.

9. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    I didn't see the show, but what's wrong with lowriders?

10. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash

Car them down. Is that why salesmen give people test drives in the most expensive model first, not the one advertised for $14,900. Which is why they came in. I.E. "I saw this car for 14,900 in the paper, can I test drive it". Salesmen say "It must be in the back let me get you the keys to this one while we are waiting. This one has the duel climate control, onstar, etc".

Of course this has never happened on your lot.

My only thought is, if The car and their credit can get a payment of $300 per month, Which they can afford. Why do cars salesmen, finance guys start out at $400. But then drop it to $325, Why? Cause you are hoping for them to say yes. You want to beat them, If you were honest you would just start out at the $325, But you don't because it is a game.

Your right though, I dont blame it on the salesmen. People are stupid. Most people do not understand simple finance. You take advantage of that.

In the past, I have owned a car lot and an auto finance company. Salesmen, finance guys take advantage. Plain and simple.

11. johntvette

johntvette Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Hurst, Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Any good finance manager, or at least one who's worth employing, will want the customer in something they can afford. Maybe that's the difference between guys like me, and guys like them. I care about my lender porfolio. Eventually, those cars end up as repos, then everyone loses.

12. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Isn't that sort of redundant?

13. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I've only seen one episode & didn't really like it. I didn't even know it was still on, just goes to show you people will watch crap.

14. TopCloser

TopCloser Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006

I highly doubt that. You speak as a typical customer, blaming all of the ills of the world on the car salesman. A real owner would understand that most customers want the world for nothing. It's not my fault that someone looking for a $53,000 Denali wants to pay $300/month. If you *truly* owned a car dealership, you'd understand that people become different people the minute they enter a car dealership.

And it is standard practice to show a customer the cheapest alternative. If for no other reason (you wouldn't listen anyways, so I won't bother telling you what reason exist), we do it so that people like you can't scream and yell about how "all he did was show me the most expensive model!!!"

You know what? We're screwed either way. If I show you the cheapest model, you'll yell at me for not listening. If I show the most expensive model, you'll yell at me for trying to rip you off. And if I try to show you exactly what you want, I'm screwed because you have no idea what the heck you want.

Anyone who's spent more than 30 days selling cars in a main-line store understands this. Stop blaming the salespeople for you crappy negotiating skills.

15. TX907

TX907 Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2005
    Keller, TX
    Full Name:
    Garrick
    Heard the guy on the radio once. He is big on selling used cars that are already hooked up with a thumpin' stereo and rollin' on big wheels. You can finance it all and roll out the door in style....

16. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Chopper had charges brought against him a year or so ago for roughing up a dissatisfied customer driving around the dealership with signs plastered all over his car about being ripped off, Chopper is a first class scumbag.

17. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    Wow! Your an idiot!

18. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    LOL!!! That's funny! ;)

19. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave

Isn't this what every business does... I have never heard of a business of any kind that doesn't ask best case scenario and start negotiations form there.

Does that make me a shady person, taking advantage of companies, because when I negotiate contracts I start by asking for $200k and eventually get the contract for $187K?

It is that exact same principle, but applied to a different purchase. I sell my skills to a company who needs them. I ask for the provebial "$400" and then sell at "$325."

I guess I just don't see how something that is fairly standard business practice is "taking advantage," when it comes to car purchases, but perfectly acceptable in the business world.

To quote a man far wiser than me on how business works:
    "We beat each other up over contracts all day, day after day. Then when all is said and done, we shake hands and say 'I sure am glad we are friends.'"

If this works in business, why is it bad in the car business? I guess I just don't get it, either that or my moral compass is seriously out of whack.

20. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

The show's quite amusing. The guy definately has earned his reputation as a top volume dealer. His people push people into cars so of course you'll have a few that are dissatisfied. It's pretty hard for anyone entering the dealer to get out without being pressured into buying. The guy definately is the "king of cars."

21. TopCloser

TopCloser Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    Throwing around intelligence-related insults is not a very effective tactic when you can't properly utilize the language. Next time you call me an idiot, do your best to use grammar any 2nd grader understands. Otherwise, it just makes you look stupid and uneducated.

22. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave

Simmer down... was the intial post uncalled for? Sure, but this post isn't any better.

23. FERRARIHOME

FERRARIHOME Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    OAHU HAWAII
    Full Name:
    FERRARIHOME
    amazing how grammer is such an issue on the net. The show is entertaining enough, seems like people get pretty good deals there. Also you cant make everyone happy in any buisiness.

24. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Brother let me share with you a little advice. You probably should not go around laying accusations on folks who you have never met. John is a stand up guy and I have talked with him on matters related to my business. I don't know if John ever owned a car dealership, but if he says that he did at one point in his career, then I believe that he did.

I would get my head straight before casting aspirsions on longstanding form members here, much less a member who pays to be here.

BTW I have my doubts whether Towbin sells 800 new cars a month as these numbers are generally reached by dealers in the Metro Detroit area where the employee disount is really 'King of Cars'

25. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave

Well, if this includes all 6 Towbin dealerships that I am aware of, 800 is very doable. Throw in the fact that the Bently and Rolls Royce stores probably aren't doing huge volume and that leaves you at about 200 cars per dealership, per month. Very plausible in my book.

For the record, FastViper is a stand up guy as far as I can tell from my little corner of cyberspce.