Feedback on Dino Motors in San Mateo,Ca | FerrariChat

Feedback on Dino Motors in San Mateo,Ca

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by junior, Nov 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. junior

junior Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Merced, CA
    Full Name:
    Junior Aguilar
    Hi,

I have been reading the Fchat room for a long time, but first time to ask a questions
    regarding a 30K service on my 87 testarossa. Im
    thinking of using an independent shop Dino Motors
    in San Mateo,Ca. Have any one use them and any comments on the service provided. thank you

Jr

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I have never heard of them, but will ask those who know. Where in SM are they? Never seen them around town...

--Dan

3. junior

junior Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Merced, CA
    Full Name:
    Junior Aguilar
    Hi Dan,

Dino Motors advertised in the ferrari news letter and they are by Hwy92 and El camino real area.

Jr

4. ART360

ART360 Guest

My understanding is that my old high school friend Mac Dyson is working there as a mechanic. My opinion is that I wouldn't have my car serviced by him under any circumstances.

Art

5. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Never heard of them either. Are they new?

Cheers

6. junior

junior Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Merced, CA
    Full Name:
    Junior Aguilar
    Hi,

From what I understand from the owner/mechanic is that it was located
    first in the SF city and sold and started again in San Mateo,Ca. The
    shop has several ferraris such as 365's, dino's,several daytonas,328's,
    and testarossa. It is a small shop, but looks good. As for Mac Dyson,
    I was told he does'nt work there, but knows him and was told have also
    several ferraris himself. thanks for all the reply.

Jr

7. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Art,

Did Mac glue your head to a couch?

Vincent.

8. ART360

ART360 Guest

I glued Doug Daniels, otherwise known as Doug348, to the sofa at the Isle of Man. He's a good guy. Dyson on the other hand, in my humble opinion, is a poor excuse for a human being.

Art

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Art,

Doug somehow found out about the French Connection, very appropriate thank you. Very cool! We need to get him up here on a drive someday.

BTW. The property near Calistoga is a go! Hopefully about 12 to 18 months from now we'll be throwing a party.

Vincent.

10. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I have my V12 serviced at Dino Motors. He is not as expensive as some of the "names", and it is easier to "get in"
    I found Johannes, the owner, to be honest and detail oriented. He used to be a partner at Waterfront Automobili, then at Dino Motors in SF. Before that, he worked with Voitek (sp) in Europe, and as a factory trained mechanic for Ferrari, or Lambo in Switzerland (I think....). He is also active in the Pacific FCA, as a judge and event coordinator to some degree.
    The only person who works for him is Kevin, no Macs. Please check your facts before you tell people to "stay away".
    I also like the shop because he is by the train station and downtown. It is easy to drop off at lunch, jump back on the train....
    With 7 Alfas and now a third Ferrari, I tried all the locals. With small kids, I go the "checkbook mechanic" route more often.

luke, Belmont, CA

11. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    I'm more into experience than the loosely used "factory trained". That said, this shop sounds legit from Luke's take on it. I prefer independents. Not because of their lower cost, but their superior quality. The lower cost, shorter wait is just an added plus. I'd go over and pay the shop a visit and talk to the guy.

Personally I'm a bling bling pansy so I'd take it to one of the "names". Maybe not Patrik Otis since he only works on the really pimp cars, and pretty much no modern cars. Will Haible would be a great choice but I think he has been retired for about a year now. Tony Palladino has gotten glowing recommendations here, although I must admit I have heard some negative comments from others who don't even know of this site. The Bay Area is getting pricey. Its worth shipping your car for major things now.

Cheers

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Taek,

Curious as to what you've heard about Palladino. You can PM / email me if you don't want to share.

--Dan

13. junior

junior Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Merced, CA
    Full Name:
    Junior Aguilar
    Hi,

Thank you for all the reply. I have decided to try Dino Motors to do the 30K service
    on my 87 Testarossa. Johanna (owner) is very knowledgable explaining the things needed to do the service. I also receive more positive about the shop. The rate is reasonable but not cheap.
    I plan on taking at lot of pictures on this service and will let you know the progress. I was told that 2-3 weeks or before Thanks giving and
    hopefully to joined you guys on your fun ride soon. thanks again.

Jr

14. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I just went by the shop and had lunch with Johannes. Your motor is out on the bench, they are well into it. I am always amazed when I see a flat 12 out of the car, it is quite large..

Do you have a sense of timing, or do you have a sense of timing !!!!???
    One of the belt tensioners...Oh, man...The roller bearing was a goner, it was really hard to turn. Belt snappage was imminent. Good call on bringing in to have the service done now.
    Help an old lady across the street to give some good karma back.

Beatiful car, by the way, very clean.

PS> I will try to make it out to FLG on Sunday, unless there is a deluge, or the kids' colds take a turn for the worse. Tis' the season....

luke

15. junior

junior Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Merced, CA
    Full Name:
    Junior Aguilar
    Hi Luke,

Thanks for the compliment. I did see the testarossa yesterday and talk to Johannes about it. He did show me the frozen tensioner that if
    I did not have the service done it could have been more work or total the engine. It is very deceiving about the condition of the timing belts because my car runs very good without hints of problem. My car was driven regularly for its first four years putting 10K - 12K and then after that about 500 miles a year. I the past 2 years, I have put about 9K miles. I was in the waiting list for service for about 1 year, but the shop was keep putting me off. Im really thankful for Johannes for taking the car in for service before it break.

Regards
    Jr

16. junior

junior Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Merced, CA
    Full Name:
    Junior Aguilar
    Update:

The motor for my Testarossa is ready to be installed back to the car today
    or tomorrow. I hope that everything will be alright. They will be putting a bypass tube also for the catalytic converters to make the car sound better
    than stock.

Jr

17. junior

junior Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Merced, CA
    Full Name:
    Junior Aguilar
    Update,

I finally picked up the car last 12/15/03. I was hoping that the car will be
    washed and ready to enjoy, but not. The testarossa sounds a little different
    because I ask Johannas to replace the Cats with by-pass. I was not
    very happy when I ask for my original cats because he cuts the ends of it to
    make the by pass tubes without calling me first. The by-pass tube cost me
    about $600.00 installed with my cats destroyed. The total cost of the service
    is $7643.63. This include the following:

30K service with cam belts
    service the air pump ( wont turn due to water/rust)
    replace 2 Dist. rotors
    replace 2 tensioners
    2 By-pass tube $600.00
    paint/repair the rear valence $623.00
    check and drain the brake system
    re-charge the A/C

estimated between $5000.00 to $7000.00 without the tubes/paint works

I know Johannas do a good job, but he was on his way to go on vacation
    when I picked-up the car, that's why he was in the hurry to get paid and
    miss on some of the details such as cleaning the car. I appreciate the time
    Dino Motors on servicing my car, but next time I will make sure that I will
    be advice or asked before cutting or installing the parts with the price qoute.

I thank you Kevin very much as he works on the car most of the time.

Regards
    Jr

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays Everyone and New Year 2004

18. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Sorry to dig up old threads like this - I wanted to provide my impressions of Mac Dyson, for the record.

I can't recall Mac ever working on one of my cars, but I have seen him doing restoration work on several cars which were shown at Pebble Beach and Cavallino while I was visiting the shop where he occasionally moonlights. One top-notch mechanic whose opinion I trust says he does great work. I'd be glad to have him do mechanical work for me.

Mac has owned and worked on some of the most valuable vintage Ferraris in existance, and is intimately familiar with their construction. In addtion he is an excellent photographer and historian. I have personally hired him to do a photo shoot on one of my cars, and he did a great job at a very reasonable price. I am already planning on doing more projects with him in the future.

Anyone with questions is free to PM me.

19. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Well, since the ol' thread is already "dug up," so to speak, I'll add my 2 cents about Johannes and Dino Motors.

- I first heard of D.M. through Luke and the fact that he has is GTE serviced there (and this was before I owned a Ferrari)

- I've never had work done there (yet).

- I met Johannes at a lunch at FoSV a couple weeks back - I sat next to him at lunch, actually - and I was very impressed with his demeanor and knowledge of these finnicky cars which we drive.

- He has owned several 308s and 308GT4s (4, I think he said?), the most recent of which he just sold. Needless to say, he probably knows his way around a GT4, and since that's what I drive, I like that.

- As far as I know, there are 3 "reasonable" choices for independants to take my car in for service - Mark Spencer in Campbell, Johannes @ Dino Motors, and Sal @ Waterfront Automobili in S.F. I live in San Jose, so Mark would be the obvious first choice for locale alone. However, I've heard so many conflicting stories about his whereabouts, whether he's even in business anymore or not, that he's no longer accepting "new customers" (even though he extensively serviced MY car when owned by a prior owner, "financial problems", etc., I'm a little hesitant to get involved in that whirlwind. His mechanical reputation is 100% top notch, from what I've heard, but if I can't find the man, he might as well not exist.

That leaves Johannes and Sal. Sal prepped my car prior to me buying it, but traveling from S.J. to S.F. for service is a bit extreme if there is a worthy mechanic in between. That's where Johannes comes in... I see no reason why I won't take my car to him for any, and every, of my future servicing needs.

I'll do my own oil changes, coolant, and other minor stuff, but when it comes time for the 30k - Dino Motors will get my business.

Aaron

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've used them and would again.
    Thanks

21. George J.

George J. Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2005
    Bay area, CA
    Full Name:
    George J
    I have known and trusted Johannis since his days as one of the three original partners at Waterfront (and back when they hired Sal to work there). Johannis has worked on various of my cars over the years including a Renault R5 Turbo (series I), a 275GTB/4, a 166MM, a Lancia Auralia B20, and my current Alfa SZ. He has helped me out a lot over the years and know hem to be an excellent and versital mechanic. He worked with Foitek in Switzerland (his home land) many years ago. - George

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  23. Serg

Serg Karting

Jun 18, 2006
    Los Gatos, CA
    My '75 308 GT4 is currently at Dino Motors. Johannes came highly recommended from Fantasy Junction, and I trust those guys. I live in Los Gatos, so it was a bit of a drive, but there is no one local.. I tried to get a hold of Mark Spencer, but got no reply to my email and his phone is disconnected. Enough for me to steer clear.

I talked to Johannes a couple of times on the phone and he did the PPI on my GT4 before I bought it about 3 weeks ago. He mentioned that all looked good, but said it could use a minor tune up.

So dropped it off yesterday. I just called and he said it should be done tomorrow at noon. He has been very nice knowledgeable about things I have asked about. I got a good vibe from talking to him and I have no hesitations about taking a car to him.

So based on talking and meeting the man I would recommend him. Will report back when I get the car tomorrow (if my schedule permits.)

Birdman, he really liked your fuseblocks... I only had one installed but he liked it.

Serg

24. carcollector

carcollector Karting

Apr 23, 2006
    palo alto
    Full Name:
    Chris M.
    Somewhere in this post the name Tony Palladino(spelling) came up. I don't know him, but have heard good things. Anywho, rumor has it he is opening a service facility on Spring Street in Redwood City in the near future. Who is this guy and does anyone have more info regarding this rumor?
    Chris.

25. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    His shop is open on Spring St (I don't have the number in front of me, but it's a few blocks off Woodside), very nice facility. Tony had his own shop for many years and then went to work for FSV as their shop foreman. That didn't work out and he re-opened his shop at this new location.

Gary