Help on best highway routes from Texarkana to Houston | FerrariChat

Help on best highway routes from Texarkana to Houston

Discussion in 'Texas' started by jpl, Jun 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I will most likely be bringing the Ferrari down to my new home in The Woodlands just north of Houston over the holidays (Leaving Ottawa Canada sometime this week-end) and I am looking for some guidance from Texarkana to Houston. Mapquest is taking me down HWY59 all the way to Houston. Now I am familiar with 59 north of Houston, but is it a 4 lane hwy all the way to Texarkana. I was thinking of taking 30 into Dallas and then 45 South. I would like to stay on major highways, at least 2 lanes and divided and make as much time up as possible. I'll assume taking 635 around dallas is the way to go if going around Dallas.

BTW are there any notorious speed trap spots on 45, 59, or 30 in Texas, if so a pointer would be nice. I plan on trying to cruise around 75-85 if possible.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    JP

2. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    You might rethink your planned crusing speed if you are making the jaunt this coming weekend and most especially if you are driving a Ferrari! The DPS will be out in force over the holiday. Texas is one of several states participating in Operation CARE (Combined Accident Reduction Effort) - part of a nationwide campaign by state policy agencies to reduce fatalities during holiday periods. All available troopers will be patrolling Texas roadways targeting speeders, drunk drivers and seat belt violators during the Fourth of July weekend. It doesn't take that much longer to get to your final destination by driving the speed limit. A friend recently got pulled over for going 11 over the posted speed and it cost her $155.

Carol

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Welcome. I live in The Woodlands, and I just drove from Ottawa to here!

It's late, and I'm tried. So please ping me tomorrow, and I'll give you plenty of tips.

Again, welcome to Texas!

Dale

4. maseraticoupe

maseraticoupe Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    Texarkana
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Crisp
    some of 59 is just 2 lanes

5. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Thanks, that is what I thought. Dallas and 45 south it is.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ...and Speed traps...they torture you with a wet towel over your face pouring water into it 'till you hand over the Mexican lettuce....

Oh, wait...that was the 70's, if you had the rock station stickers on the van...never mind.....

As Lyle Lovett says in a song intro: "Look for the big numbers on the sign, go that speed!".

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sorry for the delay, but the best answer is that, "It depends."

If you have been driving all day, going the extra distance to Dallas to pick up I-45 may be a good idea. Based on my recent experience, the unoffical speed limit is 80 mph on the Interstates. Plus, traffic is very heavy. You wouldn't know that gas is close to $3 a gallon by driving the open road.

However, if you're bored of the super slab, I recommend this from Texarkana:

1. I-30 to US 259.
    2. Take US 259 down to Nacogdoches.
    3. Pick up 7 and run thru Crockett to I-45 @ Centerville.

Note do this run only if you have a V-1 detector. You can bet that most of the State Troopers with their instant on will be on the Interstates. The local guys have the older stuff that they have to leave on. You'll pick them up over a mile away.

Good luck and drive safe. Let us know when you get here.

Dale

8. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Thanks for the update. 80 is plenty fast and I usually travel with the traffic, or slightly faster, and since I will most likely be pretty tired by the time I hit Texarkana I will try the rural run some other day. As to radar detectors...don't use them, probably never will. I like to stay alert by keeping an eye on speed traps myself. Most of the police cars that travel with the traffic don't see me until they are on top of me, mainly because the car is grey and does not stand out and by then I see them as well.

Has worked for the last 10 years in all provinces and states I have travelled, so I hope it continues to. If all goes well I should be in bed in my new home by Tuesday night.

regards, and have a safe and happy holiday.
    JP

9. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Please send me a PM when you get settled. I have lived in The Woodlands for, well, over 25 years. I can introduce you to all the Ferrari folks and roads in the area.

But, remember, the rubber side goes down. It is the shiny side that goes up.

Dale

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome!

Dr. T. , come take me to lunch!

New FOX Network jobsite..10 acres of mud..............LOL!

Not using the Fcar yet, for work duty....parking lot soon.