no start - flooded? Please give me input here | FerrariChat

no start - flooded? Please give me input here

Discussion in '348/355' started by yookdan, Jul 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yookdan

yookdan Rookie

Jan 14, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Robert Stevens
    Took my 348 to get the emissions tested, and after a few minutes they came back to get me, claiming the car would not start. Long story short, it wouldn't even turn over (although the fans and such we going) - as if it had a dead battery -

Story gets more weird - battery is about 3 months old, and once I got it home (after a push start and a cool-down) it starts fine.

Wondering if soome sort of flood failsafe exsits or I have some weird heat issue -

Input?

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Flood failsafe? Sorry, dont think so man. You seem have lots of battery juice there, with the fans going and dash lights i can imagine? My guess is that you have a starter motor issue. Maybe a sticking starter motor solenoid or starter relays sticking when hot. :)

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I think there is a pretty good chance that you have a voltage drop at your ignition switch - it's fairly common, not just on 348's. The starter won't turn over unless you are getting full voltage at the solenoid. The main positive battery cable goes directly to one terminal on the solenoid. The other terminal is from the ignition switch. If the engine won't crank over with the key, you can check for this problem by jumping the two terminals on the starter together with a screwdriver AFTER YOU MAKE SURE THAT THE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL. There are a few ways to fix this. You can replace the ignition switch (you have to buy the doors locks as well). You can install a relay system that sends full battery voltage though the starter signal wire. Or you can install a backup starter button (that's what I did). There are threads on this in the archives.

Of course, you want to make sure first that the battery terminals are clean and tight, the cable connectors are OK, and the grounds are good. There is also a possibility that the starter contacts are bad, but if it will crank over with the screwdriver test, then it's almost dead certain that it's the ignition switch.

And yes, this can be intermittant, but it will get worse. My car will rarely crank over any longer using the key, but it cranks over 100% of the time on the backup button.

4. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

It also sounds like that with my 94 Spider, as I have the same problem, sometimes when I try to restart it after a long drive, it won't do anything when I turn the key, although I see all the lights come on as if I have full power.
    My guess is also a bad starter motor or solenoid, I will see what my mechanic says when I take it in.

Stephane
    Scaledetails