Bosch Relays | FerrariChat

Bosch Relays

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Wingnut, Jul 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    As good as you guys were with suggesting Gahh carpet, here's another question: The 5-pin Bosch relays used in 1990, part#0332015006, where can I find a new old stock supplier? They were made in Spain and several were used in my Mondial's fusebox.
    Or.... does anyone know how to "bench test" a relay taken out of the fusebox? The pins are numbered 30, 85, 86, 87, and 87b.
    Would the 30 pin be a ground connection?
    Any help is appreciated!

Joe Forte likes this.
  2. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I did a lot of research into the relays last summer. Here is a summary of my findings in the 87 328 main relay panel:

* BOSCH 0 332 014 113, quantity 14
    These are 12V, 30A relays. They have a single #30 input, which connect two two #87 outputs. There is no normally closed output (i.e., no 87a).

* BOSCH 0 332 204 101, quantity 6
    These are 12V, 20/30A Standard SPDT relays. They have 85, 86, 30, 87, and 87a terminals.

* BOSCH 0 332 015 006, quantity 1
    [This has a big "K" labelled through it, which I have seen elsewhere on this type of relay]. 85 and 86, 30, 87, and 87b terminals.

The last one is the most uncommon relay, though it is still a standard type, and it's the one you referenced. It's comparatively rare with respect to the 1st and 2nd types of relays noted above.

Ours are metal. You will typically find replacements with plastic casings. Metal will tend to be more expensive and can be harder to find (I think they're typically considered "marine grade"?) Also you don't want any mounting tabs or anything--just the relay cube with the prongs to plug right in.

You can get all three types of relays from Daniel Stern Lighting, http://www.danielsternlighting.com/. Direct email: [email protected]. Reference Mike from FerrariChat and he'll be able to look up the relay stuff faster (we've done a fair amount of business).

Approximate "good customer" pricing for relays 1 year ago:
    Type 1 (... 113): $11
    Type 2 (... 101): $12
    Type 3 (... 006): $19 (What you need)

These are for EXACT replacements, made by Bosch, with metal cases. Cheaper alternatives (off brand, plastic casing) can be found but I wouldn't go that route. I'd say spring for what you need and get back up and running.

Pls. follow up with the thread once you've made progress.

--Mike

3. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    there's often a little diagram on the side of the relay can which shows the relay internals, but it case not, bosch is pretty standard with their numbering:

86 - +12V for relay coil
    85 - gnd for relay coil
    30 - the pole blade. bosch labelling convention says it goes to the battery and the relay will be transferring the +12V to other terminals. However, that's not always how the relay is used.
    87, 87b - connects to 30 when coil is powered
    87a - connects to 30 when coil is not powered

there's a pretty good writeup with pics here:
    http://www.airheads.org/content/view/159/98/

so bench testing is just connecting a battery on the 85 and 86 terminals and listening for the click. You also use an ohmeter to verify the internal connections are what the diagram shows for the powered and unpowered states. The diagram is drawn in the unpowered state.

normal failure modes are:
    - burnt out coil so relay doesn't close
    - cruddy contacts internally limiting current flow
    - dirty external pins. just clean 'em

you can often open the relay and clean internal contacts. If the contacts are pitted/burned, filing the contact can be a temp fix until you get another relay.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Wingnut -- try www.importeccatalog.com and just search on that 0332015006 Bosch PN (a little pricey, but it is a lower-volume item -- and comes with the "K" ;)).

It's very similar to the ...113, except on the ...006 the 87 and 87b terminals are not connected when not energized (whereas on the ...113 the two 87 terminals are always connected). If you look at any 308 schematic (which you can get from the OM at the Owner's Site), the ...006 relay internals are shown.

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

That's cool. TIP: when a website like the above is down, you can often get to a link via the Internet's WayBack Machine.

e.g. http://web.archive.org/web/20041025151505/www.airheads.org/index.php?Technical+Tips+Relays+FAQ+and+Tech

For the above cool relay link.

Or for any "dead" link...often it has been archived here: http://web.archive.org

So just when you thought that your web info was gone for good...there it is on the Way Back Machine.

6. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I replaced all of my relays last Summer, purchased from Rockauto.com- most were $8.95 .
    Most were the metal can type too. (85' 308qv)

7. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I had replaced all of my relays shortly after buying my car and the GT4 uses one of those (the one with the "87b" terminal, I think "Stribel" was the one who made it) to control external lighting. If memory serves me right, it is, yes, quite uncommon and the only place that had one was at NAPA (theirs made by Echlin).

8. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    Thanks for the intel on relays...the airhead site made my head hurt but did have useful information. Unfortunately, the chevy truck's water pump began leaking so I spent the day replacing it new for 33 bucks! Will get back to the Mondial next week.

9. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just ordered from rockauto.com two spare relays for the 101 and 113 and one spare relay for the uncommon 006 to have as an "emergency" kit in case a relay goes out on the road. $70 for all 5 including $15 shipping (d'oh - shipping from multiple locations), will take a week or two. Been on the task list for a while, glad to have it covered. Rockauto had the best prices, and I got the real deal BOSCH with metal cases matching the original relays in the car.

10. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I called Bosch to check the relay numbers for my '78 308 and they suggested, among others, to contact rockauto.com. Said they are a major distributor for them. I ordered all of the relays on line and have received most of them in a couple of days from ordering. The are all the Bosch metal case relays just like the originals, not a generic replacement. Prices seemed good also.

Andreas Engesvik likes this.
  11. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    The plastic case bosch equivalents are available from http://www.waytekwire.com for about $4 each.
    http://order.waytekwire.com/IMAGES/M37/catalog/218_052.pdf

$20 worth of relays made a big difference in driveability from cold in my beater Lotus Esprit with KJet injection.

12. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Spot on, couldn't of have put that any better :eek:

Yeah I have used the #30 pole to switch earths too.

13. reagd

reagd Rookie

Sep 25, 2009
    #13 reagd, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    Bech test? I've been figuring that out since last month. Do I need some resources to start this bench testing thing?

14. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Does anyone have a good source for these relays in their original, metal casing? I would like to purchase a full set.

Thanks.
    Alberto

15. reagd

reagd Rookie

Sep 25, 2009
    My uncle told me some stuffs about it. Again, what resources should I need to start this bench testing thing?

Brooklands likes this.
  16. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Relay related question. I was building some custon electric circuits the other day for my car and i disassembled a relay which came with my air horns........simply out of boredom. In it, i was surprised to see, solid state circuitry, no mechanical points or coils. Since when have these been available? Does anyone know?

17. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Solid State Relays have been around about 30 years. I've seen them used in several applications, especially as a front-end to a switching power supply, which draws a massive amount of current at start-up. You can use a logic level (3V - 5V) signal to switch on 125V at like 40 Amps. I haven't seen them much in automotive applications because they generally are more expensive than an equivalent mechanical relay.

18. f1lupo

f1lupo Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Johnny S
    well after 4 years of ownership my first relay problem just happened & looking for metal Bosch 0332204101 so thanks for the leads on this thread as hopefully I'll be able to find a few for backup.

19. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #19 348Jeff, May 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I rang Bosch when I wanted relays for my 348 and got the current part nos - here's what they told me

0 332 204 101 is now 0 332 209 151

0 332 014 113 is now 0 332 019 151

0 332 014 140 is now 0 332 019 151 (same as above)

0 332 015 006 -> has stayed the same

Obviously these are plastic rather than metal - if they must be metal casings think your going to have to search 2nd hand market

I took pics of the pins etc when installing them in the link below:

348 DIY "Restoration" - Page 64

Info on relays including how to test (near bottom)

Relays
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  21. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Rob - those will be fine.

22. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I used to collect them whenever I go to a car wrecking yard, I usually pull all the relay from a different car before the crash them.

marklintott likes this.