Your Plans for Ethanol in your Vintage Ferrari. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Your Plans for Ethanol in your Vintage Ferrari.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by UroTrash, Apr 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Mr. G., we have seen the pumps here labeled "10%" recently, but who knows how long it's been a component!

I gassed up last weekend and it was hard to tell if the fresh fuel or disuse of the vehicle was the culprit. Ran rough for awhile but seemed to clear out eventually.

If I had made Franco's run I'm sure it would have been EVEN better! LOL!

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Question: Have a Euro 308GTS with no cats. How bad is the 10% blend and would mixing xx% of race fuel help? i realize boosting octane is not a Magic Pill, just wondering if going with xx% race fuel mix with pump Supreme would be good. Thx.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Steven

I'm runnning my tank down to about half this weekend, then I'm gonna pop in some Sunoco 100 octane pump gas to see if my troubles go away.

Gimme a few days, I'll let you know what happens.

Dave

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've been running the 10% blend we have here in my carb 512BB with no problems. I can't imagine your car would be all that different. 365 2+2 as well.

5. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    As I previously stated, my aircraft is certified to run on autofuel. There were recent bulletins PROHIBITING the use of any gasoline containing ethanol.

Although I have never experienced problems in my cars, I wonder if the problems that might result from using it in airplane engines could manifest themselves in older cars????????????????????

I am fortunate that there are gas stations near me that sell fuel without ethanol.

Also, there is a very simple test to detect the quantity of alcohol in gasoline. If anyone is interested, I will publish a link.

Bob Z.

6. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Dave,

Try Avgas.

Art S.

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    FYI:

Pierce Manifolds Weber tuning manual suggests the following mods when running certain blends of alcohol-based fuel:

"-Mixture of 60% methyl alcohol, 20% gasoline and 20% benzene, increase jets and needle valve by about 15%

-Mixture of 94% methyl alcohol, 6% acetone and trace amounts of oil (by volume), increase jets and needle valve by about 45%"

Now, that is for methyl alcohol, but since what is now in circulation is ethanol, I don't know if it has the same calorific value as methyl alcohol and therefore, percentage increases for jet/needle sizes maybe slightly more or less. The other key components in the fuel system that will also be affected will be fuel hoses and accelerator pump diaphrams.

In any case, it looks possible to run a vintage Ferrari on high-level ethanol fuels.

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thx Dave.

10. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Art.

So I drive to my nearest private airport, pull up to the pump and say, "Fill 'er up?"

11. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Yep their pushing it hard here same concerns about fuel lines and carbs.Some say it depends on the % that is added.

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Not unless you have a buddy working there. It's not legal for them to sell avgas for automotive (or any non-aviation) use.

EDIT: Although, you might be able to find a small airport in your area with self service pumps. Then you'd be home free, I think.

13. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    The current AvGas 100 LL has about 2 grams TEL per gallon. AvGas 100/130 had about double the amount TEL. But the old 100/130 is virtually extinct due to EPA regs. Late 1960s high octane "muscle car" pump gasoline had up to 3.5 grams TEL per gallon. The old high octane pump gasoline which was sold as 103 RON octane was actually 98-99 (R+M)/2. BTW, AvGas 100 LL is actually 98-99 (R+M)/2. Aviation fuels use different ASTM standards (octane rating) than street gasolines.

These cars never needed the really high octane like L-88 Corvettes that had 11:1 compression or Boss Mustangs and CobraJets at 10.5:1.

I would use 93 octane not the 87 regular. And if not AvGas you can purchase racing fuel in various octanes of leaded and unleaded in 5, 10, 55 gallon drums. Rockett Brand, VP Fuels, Sunoco, Elf, etc. Just cut AvGas or racing fuel with street gas. The main problem with AvGas is that it is a federal crime to use it in street cars with a fine up to $20,000. That also applies to leaded race gasoline on the street.

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm waking this thread up because I understand that in their great wisdom (and even greater technical knowledge...and corruption) our political "leaders" are going to mandate even higher ethanol content in pump gasoline. Leaving aside the unintended economic consequences (e.g. higher food prices), what steps can be taken to protect our old Ferraris and other old cars from the negative effects of ethanol in their fuel systems? Have there been any counter-ethanol advances in technology since this thread was last visited nearly four years ago? Have any owners here made modifications to their older Ferrari fuel systems to cope with this?

Thanks.

Jack.

15. cdu

cdu Karting

May 30, 2007

One of the big advantages of AVgas besides the lead is the fact that it is required to be stable in storage for a really long time.

If you mix AVgas and normal gas, you'll get a bit of extra lead and slightly higher octane, but you'll still have a tank of gas that turns to goo after 6 months. If it were 100% AVgas, you could leave it the tank for a really long time and really only have to worry about condensation getting into the gas, not that the gas itself will turn into goo.

16. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Fixing my mistake above. AvGas 100 LL would be 99.5 MON. So AvGas 100 LL would be about 104 (R+M)/2 as we measure pump fuel in the USA.

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dave Helms is selling fuel line kits, like marine grade stuff or better.....

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Alan. How can I contact Dave?

Jack

19. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    #44 ersatzS2, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
    just searched 'ethanol' and thought I'd revive this thread to share any updates. When the fuel pump on my `50 Willys quit, the rebuild shop told me it was yet another victim of ethanol in the fuel, they are swamped with vintage cars with rotted diaphragms. This has made me worry about not only the pump on the GTC, but also the myriad downstream jets.
    Then, while enjoying a rare day a the track in my 993 cup car, it suddenly developed a bad miss. Several hours of dis assembly later, the answer came back: alcohol in the fuel (the cup car uses pump gas) caused the fuel cell foam to degrade, which caused both fuel pumps to clog and seize up.

ethanol is of the devil.

Just read a great book on energy policy, "Power Hungry; The Myths of Green Energy" By Robt Bryce. One of his concluding prescriptions for reforming energy policy is to revise the dates for presidential primaries and caucuses. Say what? His point is that removing the significance of the Iowa primary would remove the undo influence the Iowa Corn Lobby wields over both parties...

20. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Bryce book is excellent, recommended