the obligatory ' which car do i buy ? ' thread | FerrariChat

the obligatory ' which car do i buy ? ' thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by anunakki, Jul 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Alright for anyone who might have some input...

I need a new daily driver and have narrowed it down to the following:

06 MB E55 $ 80k (also found one with 10k miles for $72k)
    PROS: amazingly fast..amazingly plush..AMG prestige
    CONS: Kinda big...very expensive ( to me)

01 - 03 Porsche Carrera - tiptronic around $50-55k
    PROS: fun to drive... not too expensive..
    CONS: no room to carry anything... "Porsche Guy' stigma

06 BMW M3 - SMG - $60k (or possibly preowned around $50-55k )
    PROS: fun to drive...not too expensive...had one previously and loved it
    CONS: Back seats a joke so its really a 2 seater

06 BMW 650 - $ 75k
    PROS: beautiful and comfortable interior...fairly fast
    CONS: kinda ugly...kinda pricey

Im trading in my Viper, MB C55 and Nissan Pathfinder so I can be a simple two car guy again...keeping the 355 spider. So this car needs to have a certain level of practicality to it...though I cant spend $50k+ and get something I dont love. So there needs to be passion in the purchase.

While i dont commute everyday to a job i do occassionally get on the gridlocked SoCal freeway system so i dont want a 6-speed...and I dont want my teeth jarring over every divider.

I dont often have more than one passenger but I kind of like the option if I need it so that make the M3 and Porsche tough choices.

The angel on my shoulder says go with the M3 and save some bucks..the devil says spring for the E55...but then Satan himself says why not then just go for the M5 ???? Yikes !

So..opinions ? Im ready to pull the trigger in next few days.

2. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
    Buy the E55 and start modding it. It will haul A**... E55 would be my pick. Supercharge is much better for modding than E63, my 2 cents.

3. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
  4. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I agree with the E55. Phenominal car AND practical. I'd get the one that's got 10k on it, but you can probably find one even less than what you were quoted. You'll miss a big chunk of the depreciation hit.

5. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    E55 hands down, most practical of the choices listed and has a certain stealthness about it....

6. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    E55 all the way. The car is an awsome commuter and when you want a bit of speed it's only a press of the go fast pedal away.

7. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    E55 if you already have a 355.

8. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    wow..guess F Chatters like the E55 !

Thanks for all the input.

9. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Don't forget the RS6 or old M5 (not the E60, the one before, E...something). I'd take an M5 over the E55 solely based on the manual transmission ... but that's just me. If a big car is what you want, you can also check out a Phaeton W12 ... it would be practical, have some engine, be ultra comfy ...

You can even go smaller with an Audi S4 (B6 or B7), 340hp V8, good sleeper looks, said to handle decently, great engine (although nto as good as the RS4)

Out of your cars, E55, definitely.

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I say spend $28-35k on an early 90's Bentley Turbo and roll in style. You can find them in the mid-20's but I'd look for one more sorted, and then spend a few $k on some great wheels. For the price of an Infiniti G35 you can have something that the valet will still leave in front of the restaurant.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=201073683&dealer_id=23557791&car_year=1991&mod_bookmark_id=null&search_type=both&num_records=&make=BENTL&distance=0&model=&address=89117&certified=&advanced=&max_price=35000&bkms=1152493581216&min_price=1&end_year=2007&start_year=1981&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=1919

11. Sheldon

Sheldon Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
    I'd say E55 too. I've driven the car and it's a FAST sedan.

12. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
  13. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I'd take a porsche.

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Mercedes yes, but the CLS !

15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #15 FarmerDave, Jul 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    - I like the CLS55 but its a bit too expensive. the E55 is already a little pricey for me

- 90's Bentley ..upkeep scares the crap out of me...I know what the 355 is costing me and I hear Bentleys are just as bad...plus it would be 10 years old

- RS6 too big a hit on depreciation - girlfriend would complain about the lack of 'status' symbol

- old M5 - Los Angeles traffic has deleted the option of a stick but I LOVE them

- Porsche..it was at the top of my list but my girlfriend keeps reminding me this is supposed to be the 'daily driver' and since I already have a 355 the Porsche is a bit redundant.

I really appreciate all the advice. This is the first time Ive gone to buy a car and I didnt know exactly what I wanted.

17. bmwm3

bmwm3 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Laguna Hills, OC!
  18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, at least she is easy to please! ;)

19. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    I've heard so many mixed reviews of the SMG on the M3. But if you don't like stick, I don't know how much you'll like the SMG.

20. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The E55 is by far the most versatile car on your list. You get the status, comfort, room and performance in one package. Sure it's a bit more money than everything else, but it's a lot more car too.

21. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Want to thank everyone for their unput...I guess im not surprised to see the majority championing the E55... I took an hour long test drive today and its the best all around car Ive ever driven.

Tomorrow we haggle my trades ( they only want to give me $35k for my 2001 viper with tons of mods - i think thats ridiculous ) but I should be coming home with a black on black E55 of which i will take some pics next to the 355... gotta love the '55s'

Thanks again

jerry

22. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    $35k for the Viper? What are the details of the car? I'd be tempted at that price.

23. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Yah, 35K for your 01?

Uh, details of the car? Don't let yourself get raped on trade.. I know of a couple great Viper dealers that might give you a fair bit more than that. That's waaaay below market value right now.

24. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    So I bought a black on black E55...'05 12000 miles. $ 62k ..I feel it was a pretty good deal as someone else took the $30k depreciation hit for me in the span of 20 months. Car is amazing..im in love with it.

They ended up giving me $41k for the viper...It seems like I could have been able to get high $40's privately as it has high miles ( 28,000 ). But I just couldnt deal with the tire kickers..especially on that car every teenager in town would have been over at the house.

I loved that Viper...I plan on getting another next year blue with white stripes...

Until then its just the E55 and the 355 to keep me company.

Again I really appreciate all the input and I will take pics of the cars in the next couple days !

J

25. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Congrats on the purchase, you sure will like...

My dad has one in dallas, but he wants to trade it in for an S55...not to sure if its a good decision, but the E55 is an awesome car...

john