Ferrari Owners Club NW Region | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Owners Club NW Region

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by StoryBook, Jul 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Don't forget the lost but not forgotten FCA "Breakfast Club" Drives that we had. Including breakfast they were usually complete by noon/1:00.

If I can clear MY schedule some I wouldn't mind doing that again.

2. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Yeah what happened with that?............someone was suppose to take the torch!............Sheesh do I have to do everything? ;)

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Tell it to my 27 year old carburetors last year..................

Okay, I OWE YOU breakfast for that one.................:p:p

4. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Yeah I know what you mean............tell it to my 1.5 year old.

And by the way, the Breakfast Club was an idea I got from some of my Fchat buddies down in SF.........so it was/is not an official sponsored FCA event. Just a bunch of friends getting together to hang out and enjoy their rides. Nothing more, nothing less.

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I didn't mean it to sound like an official event but to point out that there were/are plenty of casual/impromtu things that occur within NWRFCA (as we all know):p:p

6. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul

Roy, I'm stunned and appalled by this comparison. While I assume, and hope, that it is meant in a flippant fashion, it is a wretched insult, wholly undeserved. How you can compare one of history's most evil and vile men, a man intent on murdering all jews, and other non-ayrans -- to a bunch of guys who thought it would be cool to have another Ferrari club in the region. I am completely astounded.

Cost of entry for a Ferrari is not that expensive -- older models in need of a little TLC can be had for less than a new Honda Accord. None of the guys founding the club are pretentious, elitist or "economically racist" as you put it. We're just a bunch of guys that are loyal to the brand. It's not about "one-up manship", it's about Ferrari.

7. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    My turn...

I like the idea that the FOC will allow Canadians to be involved in more events, Its not just an American only club.

8. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    You KNOW there are Canadian chapters of the FCA, right? If you're a member there, you're good to go for events in any other region.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Does the FCA not allow Canadians? I thought there was a Vancouver chapter?

From looking at the US FOC website, they certainly don't appear to have any international chapters (unless you count Puerto Rico, which isn't "international" by my definition).

And as for the "guest" rationalization, whatever... I guess I'm glad to know you guys aren't prohibiting my non-Ferrari owning wife or kids from coming along!

Sorry, but that's pretty lame.

It seems to me, as a not especially active FCA member, that there are some people who put a lot of hard work into keeping NWRFCA going. Personally, I'd rather see more involvement there than some new organization.

The "exclusivity" angle is just lame. I must travel in different circles, as I've never heard another Ferrari owner complain that the FCA just isn't exclusive enough.

10. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    I am sorry you feel that way, OF course it is a comparison, maybe heavy, but that is how it all started with the NAZIS......."EXCLUSIVE" I have to say any person or group that WANTS to make themself "EXCLUSIVE" is wrong to me.....Does this mean I dont like you or think your a NAZI...HELL NO!! It means I am voicing my opinion.

As I said earlier I RESPECT your wanting to make a new club, BUT to BAR or DELETE others that as yourself "bunch of guys that are loyal to the brand", is JUST not correct.

What NEXT a club for Ferrari owners that HAVE at least two cars, or only own ENZOS?

I was under the impression that a CAR CLUB was for the enjoyment of each others friendship and having fun together, NOT about MY car is better than your CAR. I could care less what you drive. I do care that your are considerate, help others and have fun with each other, share ideas and so on.

But to say I WILL ONLY PLAY with you if you have a "Ferrari" is just PLAIN WRONG, no matter how you try to make it look.......if you are in deed a car enthuasists.

But if we all agreed, well then this would not even being taking place would it?

I hope you can see my point as well as I see yours, WE just see it through different ends of the glass.

11. Hammer

Hammer Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2006
    Portland - Seattle
    Full Name:
    RK
    How do you think the NASCAR driver's feel???

Your words:

"NASCAR is to motor racing what tether-ball is to tennis"

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Being at the bottom of the exotic car ownership hierarchy, the multiple levels of ownership and involvement aren't quite as distinctive down here.

In the few years that I have been with this club I found that as a club, the people in it make it what it is. The activities and community involvement are also important aspects of the club, so in that sense, at least in my opinion, it is more about the people than the cars.

On the other hand, I joined this club because of the car. I wanted one, I bought one and I'll probably buy another. I wanted to enjoy ownership of a Ferrari with other Ferrari owners. So speaking as a "car guy" (I'm on #33 so far), I do have a certain amount of brand loyalty while at the same time enjoying ALL makes and models. It doesn't get any better than that.

In a nutshell, "What are you in it for, what do you want to contribute and what do you want out of it?"

DJ

13. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    Brit Blaster, Sometimes something is so ignorant its not worth responding to.

14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I tend to agree with Don. I belong to the FCA, and I make damn few events because of work, travel, family, other hobbies, inertia, etc. I consider myself a car (and/or motoring) enthusiast. I am most happy to share that feeling with like minded individuals. I don't particularly care what they own or drive, as long as they have a passion for gasoline powered vehicles and no harsh prejudices against any marque.

I think the FOC is fine. I think an Enzo only club, or a V8 only club, or whatever would be fine. People interested in something (legal) can organize as fine or coarse a division as they want.

But for me, I agree that I hate to see efforts diluted between two area Ferrari clubs, unless more folks step up or those already involved do more work. I don't see the FOC offering anything that I am particulary more interested in than with the FCA. Unless, of course, they work on Ferrari track days in OR and WA. That would peek my interest.

Scott

15. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H

Scott, Speak with Steve Wintermantel, NWRFCA Oregon Activities Director, about setting up trackdays. Work with him to set up lapping days, drives, charity events, or whatever comes to your mind.

16. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Hey Willis,

Yes I know about the Western Canadian chapter, being a member of the Canadian chapter does not give you the right to use the North West chat forum etc, the Western Canadian Chapter is not what I would call a very active club. I just think it would be easier if there was a Seattle/Vancouver Club as we are not very far from each other. I attend more US shows then CDN presently.

See you at Ferrari's on 12th

Todd

17. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    The NWRFCA "club chat" is for members of the region (meaning WA, OR, AK, ID, and MT). It's optional and not every one of our members choose to sign up for it. It's useful but not as important as you're trying to make it in this context.

How is it difficult to attend FCA events now? Canadian members have the same FCA event schedules in their newsletters as we do. All FCA events are open to them. I don't see anything that would hinder their attendance in the U.S. other than crossing the border.

As for being inactive up in B.C., well, don't just sit there and gripe about it. Get going and start something (drives, luncheons, charity events, etc.). Events don't magically appear on their own.

18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Willis hits the nail on the head. Rather than putting all this energy into starting a new club, why not improve the one which already exists?

I don't have anything against the FOC. In fact, if I lived in SoCal I would probably be an FOC member.

19. albertl

albertl Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2002
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Interesting that the FOC website says that "Whether you are a past, present or even future Ferrari owner, you will find that membership in FOC is your passport to miles and miles of Ferrari-style fun and enjoyment" and in the online membership application, a VIN# is not a mandatory field. I guess that ownership of an FCAR is not a requirement! What then is the difference then between the FCA and the FOC?

Hmmm, I guess I will stick with the FCA then...never know when my purchase will be...;-)

20. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking

I found the best thing to do is just own one of each :)

Mike

21. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking

Mike

22. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking

Mike

23. albertl

albertl Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2002
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Spoken like a true enthusiast of fine automobiles...;-) Don't forget the Zonda F, CGT, and and and...LOL!

24. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    LOL...and the Enzo!!!!

Mike

25. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Watch out, Mike-- these things tend to multiply! Next thing you know, you'll have three!

I saw an interesting stat on the FML website-- 65% of Ferrari owners have 5 or more cars, and 50% have two or more Ferraris.