My property has been invaded by Canadian geese......... | FerrariChat

My property has been invaded by Canadian geese.........

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by kizdan, Jul 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Did they follow me here from Canada?????????

Last year, there was a small family of geese, totalling maybe 10. This year, there are about 50 of them! They seem very comfortable in my yard, and they are pooping machines! It's disgusting - it's like walking through a minefield.

I put up a wire fence on just one side where I have seen them coming into the yard. That didn't work. I will have to do the whole piece of land - and do 2 wires 6" apart. If this doesn't work, I will be buying a paintball gun.

Anyone ever have this issue? How'd you resolve it?

2. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    That's our Air Force!

So THAT'S where they are! We'll be right down to collect them, they're supposed to be in Afganistan.
    Sheesh...who runs this place.

I had a problem with Crows last year and you wouldn't believe how fire crackers scare them.
    The crows heard one and "Boom" they were gone!

Nice thing is they can't predict it, so it totally un-nerves them.

Try it. Tell me if it works. :)

3. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Get a dog

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    when life gives you lemons....

doody.

5. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They look real great in the oven and taste good too! Time to load up the freezer. Your a lucky man!

6. CreativeS

CreativeS Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Yeah those things seem to be everywhere. I don't even know why they call them canadian geese, they're hear for a couple months max and they peace out - bunch of quitters.

They do make quite a mess. Hard to fight them, try a paintball gun lol

7. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Second this.

Amazing how fast they can destroy a nice lawn. DO NOT let them feel comfortable or harbor them in ANY way. If you think the jump from 10 to 50 is bad, wait till it's a few hundred(ask how I know).

8. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Have shotgun, will travel.

9. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Oh, believe me, I had my St. Bernard down there. The geese take off into the lake and just wait. They wait until we're gone, and just come right back. Unfortunately, I cannot leave my dog down there (he seems to like eating the geese poop - disgusting!).

I just ordered some ground stakes online, enough to do the whole affected piece of property. I will do the double wire - this should do it. If not, paintball gun it is.

10. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Everyone keeps saying "shoot them" but I see no logic in this. What is supposed to happen, they see their comrad shot and they're gonna make the connection to your gun? These are geese! They're stupid! More over, they're Canadian geese....so even doubly so!

What scares them is the crack of the gunpowder. So why not try the firecrackers first. You probably even have some on hand.

I tried shooting birds in the past and it was a waste of time. Some shots are so far away, so what if they don't even hear the sound? Their buddy falls off the line next to them and they think "Oh ya....that's interesting" and don't move. Shoot all you want, but the real scare is the sound and not knowing where it's coming from.

11. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    #11 awhite, Jul 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Watch out, geese poop can be very toxic. When I lived in Seattle there was a small reservoir/large pond called Green Lake near the UW campus. Anyway it was polluted by the geese flocks that lived there and people would get rashes, etc. from just being *near* the water. Word was that swimming in it would get you sick, infected, etc.

13. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm guessing that you haven't hunted geese before. They can't calculate quantum physics but they'll make the connection between Dan's yard and death quicker than you give them credit for.

14. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    But will a paint ball gun kill them?

15. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    Unlikely...even set at 350+ fps. A smaller bird, yes. Ask me how I know.

You may have to do multiple things. Try an Owl Decoy or two. I heard that balloons work too. Firecrackers, yup. I have heard of great success with a motion sensor attached to a speaker that made a "bang" when it was triggered. Dogs - good too. Eventually, they may find another place to use for a couple of seasons.

Good luck.

16. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Unlikely.

Might I suggest a shovel, a .22 rifle/pistol and some low-velocity .22 ammunition(the kind that just barely makes an audible "pop" when fired).

If they fear the place, they won't be back.

DISCLAIMER: Following my suggestion may violate the law, do your own DD first.

17. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dan I know what a pain in the butt geese are. When I was in the condo there were geese all over the place as we were on a pond. Federal law prohibits you from killing them out of season and without a license and a special tax stamp. I think that there is a federal law that prevents you from disturbing their nests too.

Basically you're pimped unless you decide to violate fish and game laws. :(
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

18. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Duck, duck, GOOSE, only with a shotgun.

I hate geese. Hate them. Rats of the sky.

19. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's pretty unlikely unless you get a lucky head shot that hits one just right. I was jokingly referring to my original post of "have shotgun, will travel" but as others have said, you can't shoot geese outside of season. If you live in a residential area, it's also highly unlikely that you'd be allowed to discharge a firearm even if they were in season.

You could line your back yard with mouse traps. It would be a pain, but humorous to watch the geese get an "education" about off-limits areas.

20. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    get an inflatable alligator....you know like the kids toys or rafts. put it out near the pond. Geese won't go hear it......that's how a lot of golf courses take care of their goose problem.

21. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    There are also dead goose decoys. Basically a piece of wood with a slumped over shape of a goose. Set it out on the water and they won't land. It's supposed to be pretty effective.

First hit on google...http://www.birdbusters.com/dead_goose_decoy.html

22. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I bought 2 plastic owls. They walk right by them as if they were plants. The day after I bought them, I looked out my window only to see them all lounging around as if nothing were there - I had no choice but to laugh! I would imagine that they would only work if they are constantly moving around.

23. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have geese and dear out the wazoo. My Lab got tired of chasing them at about 5 yrs. old. Muirfield golf course has a trained Border Collie. You need the right dog or they will get bored with the game.

They say the dead decoy is effective for a while, but if you could somehow find a dead goose and stake it upside down about 3 ft. off the ground. This works. You may have to renew the goose occasionally.

24. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yeah Dan, that outa smell great here in Michigan in July eh?

25. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Probably not but at least you'll know if it's the same ones coming back. :)