Porsche Carrera GT rental car | FerrariChat

Porsche Carrera GT rental car

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by FastLankan, Jul 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FastLankan

FastLankan Formula 3

Sep 27, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    FastLankan
    I have been a Porsche fan since I was a baby. My parents are responsible for this life long love affair for my favourite play mat had a 911 on it. I've driven virtually every modern Porsche out there and last year I attended the 2 day Porsche driving experience. Right after college I even sold them at Rusnak.
    On my last visit to London I flew through Dubai and noticed that both these destinations offered exotic cars for hire. After running a similar search in Los Angeles the best exotics available for rent are the Ferrari F430 and Lamborghini Diablo. I love both these cars but I am dying to get behind the wheel of a Carrera GT. Do you know of any rental companies that have Carrera GTs in LA.
    Why the Carrera GT? I know when the time comes, this car will be my first supercar. I love the design and the sound of the V10.....and ofcourse it is a Porsche.
    My ideal experience would be to have the car for a weekend or a day but I am willing to pay a reasonable price (or make a donation to a charity) to drive the car for 20 mins.
    I hope this thread will be used by Carrera GT owners to post their opinions of the car. Please share your experiences with it and any photos will be appreciated. I will be heading out to Crystal Cove with a mate from the 82nd Airborne so hopefully I'll get to meet more owners of my dream machine. Please send me a PM if you have any info and also glance through my previous posts and profile for some of my automotive adventures.

....and I live in La Canada Flintridge, so if you ever plan on driving up Angeles Crest Highway send me a PM and I'll bring my car out.

...and for you hard core Ferrari fans...I would love a red F40 next to my Carrera GT.

Happy Motoring!
    Las.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Seing how much a F430 costs for a day , i would guess it would cost you 10k$ for a CGT ...?

3. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    You're brave to even ponder this, the price is going to be absolutely NUTS.

but good luck. Maybe you can b/s your way through a dealer and talk them into a test drive :D

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I doubt you could rent it unless prices fall a lot less. Also, the clutch takes some time getting used to. So by the time you're used to it, you have to return the car with a clutch that has been worn down more than it should've been. Upkeep would cost too much and the risk of an accident happening since it can get out of control if you don't know what you're doing is high. Doesn't make much sense financially from the rental company's perspective.

5. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    well think about it...

A clutch replacement for the GT is 20K +

-a

6. FastLankan

FastLankan Formula 3

Sep 27, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    FastLankan
    Thanks for all your responses....I appreciate them. It seems like I won't get to drive this car but I won't give up hope. I was over at Rusnak Porsche parts today and I saw a Carrera GT in silver with the red interior in the back. I love this car. Please keep your opinions coming and if you own one please describe the ownership experience. Thanks again.

True Story: One day when in college I saw my answering machine flashing. The message was from a Porsche sales consultant asking me if I wanted to make a deposit on one of the first Carrera GTs to arrive.Talk about being a few years too early.

Las.

7. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    You might want to talk to a guy named Dietrich, he gets to drive a lot of exotics that belong to other people. I don't even think he has to pay anything either. He should definitely be able to give you some tips for a hookup!

8. charlie_ludden

charlie_ludden F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Charles
    ive never seen those for rent, nor have I seen Murcielagos for rent

9. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    Might be cheaper to buy one and sell it.

10. Amir

Amir Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2003
    TX
    You can rent an SLR in Houston for $4k a day. Too bad there are no CGTs available for rent though

11. FastLankan

FastLankan Formula 3

Sep 27, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    FastLankan
    Thanks for pointing that out Amir....I knew my request wasn't too absurd...and $4K for a SLR is a fair price considering a F430 costs $2500-$3000.

12. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    I saw that the last time I was in Houston. Now we all have another place to spend a lot of money before some of us can actually buy an exotic.

13. JWLee

JWLee Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Jong Lee
    That is not a good idea. I thought that Dietrich guy specializes in wrecking other people's exotics!

14. FastLankan

FastLankan Formula 3

Sep 27, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    FastLankan
    I'll be flying to Houston on Monday. Will post pics if I get any. Wish me luck.

15. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So what's the story? Looks like you found a private owner that let you experience the CGT? How was the drive?

16. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    See ...you did it again ... not sharing with your Pakistani cousin!!!

17. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    Congratulations, Las! Ace and Mav are the only ones who need rides now. ;)

18. lacir

lacir Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2006
    CA/NY/TW
    Full Name:
    A J
    Congrats! I would also like to hear the story and what you thought about it :)

19. FastLankan

FastLankan Formula 3

Sep 27, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    FastLankan
    A few days ago I wondered about renting a Porsche Carrera GT but couldn't find one so I posted a question on FCHAT. A few days later I was corresponding with 2 of my mates from the Porsche Driving Experience(one in Saudi Arabia and the other in Texas), my friend in Texas informed me of his GT for sale(a rare Seal Gray/Terracotta). I helped him sell his 996 Ruf Turbo. I wanted to verify the condition of the car and meet up with my friend and his family so I made a day trip to Houston.
    Obviously I didn't get to do anything crazy with the car but my friend did gun it several times...I still can't get the silly grin off my face. He also bought a blue Bentley coupe with the Mulliner package for his wife, he owns a Range Rover and is awaiting his 997 Turbo.
    I still know this is going to be my first supercar for sure now and I absolutely love it. I knew it was powerful but I didn't know that it had what seemed to be a continuous supply of power. The engine behind your head is constantly urging you to break the speed limit and the brakes definetly work. The carbon fibre makes is so light that it gives you a false sense of the car being delicate but it has a solid build.
    Before I left he showed me the coolest thing ever. It was a purchse order for the rumoured GT1. Porsche has not announced production or a price but if they make the car my mate will be the first owner in Houston(I worked for Rusnak so I know the paperwork is legitimate). He even offered to drive me to Houston's Hobby airport in the GT but his wife feared that he would kill himself on the freeway. The car has just under 800 miles. This was the ultimate combination of business and pleasure.

20. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    Anytime you want to arrange some just let us know! :)

Congrat Las, I'm happy you got to ride in your dream car. Just promise me you'll let me ride out with you one day when you get yours! Anyways, glad you had an awesome and eventful trip! Nice pics, as always.

21. FastLankan

FastLankan Formula 3

Sep 27, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    FastLankan
    Josh, when I get the CGT you'll be the first to know. During lunch I'll be joining Shanika (girl I took to the 997 Turbo launch) to pick up her new BMW M6. We'll try to bring it over to CC one of these days. Sunday will be a long day for us so we should meet up early. We have to hit the Shrine auditorium and go to the Malibu Concours...... I'll call you.

22. FastLankan

FastLankan Formula 3

Sep 27, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    FastLankan
    #24 FastLankan, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. Amir

Amir Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2003
    TX
    Isn't this the guy who owns urbanliving in Houston? I think I also saw this car on ebay the other day...he's asking too much though